310's Avatar Become A Pro!

New to the board, question about placing bets

Hi guys, I recently found the forum. I have a question about placing bets for others. I'm probably going to go to Vegas soon, and a couple of my buddies want me to place a few sports bets for them (nothing too big). I've heard of messenger betting before, but I don't fully understand it. Is it intended mainly for the real big players betting thousands of dollars? Would it be legal if my buddies told me in person (and not over the phone or internet) what bets to place? I don't want to do anything illegal. Thanks!

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110
    Bill Dozer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21705

It's you placing the bets so you're fine. But if you win big and pay taxes on it and then they get the money, they would be expected to pay taxes on what they received as well.

Santo
    Santo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

I assume (though not certain on the legality) if you win big enough it may make more sense to give the tickets to your friends to collect on a later trip (assuming you're within reasonable flight-time/price)

BET THE HOOK
    BET THE HOOK's Avatar Become A Pro!

Why are you placing their bets for them? If they know enough to place a bet why do they not have a local bookmaker or even an offshore book? Just wondering?