todd73nj
    todd73nj's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1885

Quote Originally Posted by Santo View Post
    There is a reason. To bet AU horses you have to transfer to a specific Australian wallet, which is under Australian jurisdiction. All other countries you can bet from the default wallet. I dare say it wouldn't be legal for Betfair to transfer US client funds to AU jurisdiction, and similarly it wouldn't be legal to allow betting on Australian races from a US wallet.

Doesnt that go for all Aussie sports? A guy who uses my site mentioned he wanted to bet rugby there and said he would have to transfer money to a wallet - and decided against doing it.

Hareeba!
    Hareeba!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20519

There is a reason. To bet AU horses you have to transfer to a specific Australian wallet, which is under Australian jurisdiction. All other countries you can bet from the default wallet. I dare say it wouldn't be legal for Betfair to transfer US client funds to AU jurisdiction, and similarly it wouldn't be legal to allow betting on Australian races from a US wallet.
    Yeah fair point Santo. Not sure though why they wouldn't be able to get permission to do that. Are there any other countries where players aren't able to have an Australian wallet with Betfair ?

davidchong
    davidchong's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 697

I can bet HK races at BF is the Australia Wallet...

Hareeba!

Quote Originally Posted by todd73nj View Post
    Doesnt that go for all Aussie sports? A guy who uses my site mentioned he wanted to bet rugby there and said he would have to transfer money to a wallet - and decided against doing it.
    yes, including the Australian Tennis Open and F1 GP etc.

but there is no earthly reason I can think of not to transfer funds to an Australian wallet - it's a seamless, costless, meaningless thing Betfair had to put into their system to gain permission to operate in Aus. in a time when there was so much stupid hysteria built up against them by the incumbents

Hareeba!

Quote Originally Posted by davidchong View Post
    I can bet HK races at BF is the Australia Wallet...
    really ????

from where ?

I've never seen HK racing on their menus

Santo
    Santo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

Quote Originally Posted by Hareeba! View Post

Yeah fair point Santo. Not sure though why they wouldn't be able to get permission to do that. Are there any other countries where players aren't able to have an Australian wallet with Betfair ?
    What's the difference between transferring funds to an Australian entity (shell or not) or a Costa Rican one? The WTO would have another field day. Either you allow betting in other countries or you don't.

davidchong
    davidchong's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 697

really ????

from where ?

I've never seen HK racing on their menus

AUS > Tote > Check the track name, i think tonight there HK races........

Hareeba!

Quote Originally Posted by davidchong View Post
    AUS > Tote > Check the track name, i think tonight there HK races........
    That's a whole different thing.

Betfair's 'tote' is simply accessing Tote Tasmania via an agency agreement just like 'Fair Price' is accessing Sports Alive.

Betfair is not able to offer back and lay betting on HK races.

Aussie totes and books can bet on HK racing but Betfair is forbidden.

Hareeba!

What's the difference between transferring funds to an Australian entity (shell or not) or a Costa Rican one? The WTO would have another field day. Either you allow betting in other countries or you don't.
    The difference is we're talking about a legal race betting service, not illegal offshore sports books.

Americans can already legally open accounts with Australian betting agencies and bet on Australian races so I see no sense in denying them that through Betfair.

I'm sure I read somewhere that when Betfair gets to bet in the US it will be offering ALL it's racing product. Not only US racing ?

Santo

Americans can already legally open accounts with Australian betting agencies and bet on Australian races
    Is that so? I've never come across that in any of the literature I've read...

Hareeba!

Is that so? I've never come across that in any of the literature I've read...
    hmm ... I just checked with TABCorp and it looks like you are correct Santo. But I'm positive that a few months ago a TAB chap posted in this forum saying they did accept US residents. Further research required into this.

Hareeba!

Getting interesting - from Readbet:

1.2 Forbidden Jurisdictions
    1.2.1 In compliance with US legislation, by way of the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act, sports wagers will not be accepted from any resident of the United States of America.

1.2.2 In compliance with Hong Kong law, horse racing and sports wagers will not be accepted if you are physically present in Hong Kong. If you are physically present in Hong Kong, you agree you will not place or attempt to place a wager.

1.2.3 Sports wagers will not be accepted from any residents of Turkey or France.
    Last edited by Hareeba!; 07-09-11 at 04:19 PM.

Santo

Hm, interesting... I guess different companies legal departments have different readings of the relevant laws, however I would note that Readbet aren't trying to get a US license, but Betfair are...

todd73nj
    todd73nj's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1885

Hm, interesting... I guess different companies legal departments have different readings of the relevant laws, however I would note that Readbet aren't trying to get a US license, but Betfair are...

So many options to bet on horse racing though.

They should go for a license based on being an exchange

Try to buck the system

First 123