TheBeautifulGame
    Y.N.W.A.
    TheBeautifulGame's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1102

Stupid bookies

Ok, so near my house is this bookies that the odd time I go in and place a small wager at. They are a hole of a bookies, the complete opposite of the likes of Paddy power in Ireland, if you get me.

So anyway, I thought I'd put a very small wager on a Championship game myself and a few friends were discussing so in I go and I put 30 Euro on Halftime/Fulltime Notts Forrest/Notts Forrest for 30 Euro.

The lazy people in this bookies usually don't bother putting a price on your betslip, I'm used to this but I've never had a problem before and they've always given me my winnings. The industry standard was 4-5/1 and these guys are usually in line with the average price.
    The likes off PP and Ladbr do the same so it's not unusual.

So after the game, I go down to the bookies to collect my winnings. She scans the betslip and she said that we were not accepting bets on this market so I can only refund your stake amount.

I said I wanted to speak with a manager because my argument is my bet should NOT have been accepted at the time of placing it because there WAS NO BET TO BE PLACED. Also, had my bet lost I wouldn't of gone back to the bookies with the betslip, would I?

So, she got on the phone to speak with a manager, she told him the above regarding the market and my response and I was told to hang onto my betslip and go in on Wednesday to speak with him directly.

To me, this is stupid considering they offer every other market in regards to football.

It's only 30 euro but to me, it's the principal.

So there ya go, rant over.

Hareeba!
    Hareeba!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20519

Indeed .. the principal thing the principle at stake here

Stefan
    Stefan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 109104

You placed a bet without knowing the odds? This sounds a bit strange. The attitude of the employees is very unprofessional. I never heard something like this before.

rick50time
    cubs
    rick50time's Avatar Become A Pro!

ya it is what is it is i suppose...

althelegend
    althelegend's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17312

With a bit of luck you will get paid out on Wednesday.

Border Gadgie
    Border Gadgie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2092

The many betting shops I have used usually dont bother to put the odds on a manually written bet slip unless you specifically ask for a price they will assume you are taking the SP. However I was under the impression that in a shop, a betting slip is classed as a written contract and they are liable to pay out regardless of whether or not they were taking no more bets on the event........if that was the case they should not have accepted the betting slip. If the odds were given incorrectly the bookie can adjust the odds to what they say they should have been or SP but there should no way the winnings cannot be paid out, If it is a fixed priced coupon, you must be told the odds have been changed before the bet is accepted.

Stefan
    Stefan's Avatar SBR PRO

I never placed a bet at a betting shop, I always use the internet. But I think the odds are very important. I place a bet because of the odds. I don't understand that betters accept not to get a confirmation of the odds when placing the bet.

zebras99
    zebras99's Avatar Become A Pro!

I don't understand either. Why would you place a bet if you don't even know what odds you get on that event.

Hareeba!
    Hareeba!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20519

Quote Originally Posted by zebras99 View Post
    I don't understand either. Why would you place a bet if you don't even know what odds you get on that event.
    happens all the time on pari-mutuel systems

Stefan
    Stefan's Avatar SBR PRO

Then you are totally dependent on the seriousness of the bookie. Who controls this? In horse racing there are sometimes no fixed odds, but the odds are clear regulated. Nevertheless I wouldn't place a bet when I don't know the final odds.