lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7696

Marseille to Advance ???

At first it looks like an impossible task but if you look a little closer you will see that Man Utd has a serious chance of being eliminated here. In the past UTD would come home with the vital away goal but this time they are in big danger as Marseille can sneak one by the UTD backline and turn this tie on its head. Yes i know all the stats favour UTD but they were eliminated at home last year by Bayern and the year before they allowed 2 goals at home to Porto. THis UTD team just isnt that good. Marseille to adv is only +246 at pinnacle. That is obviously reflective of the 0-0 situation but only +246 going into Old trafford!!!. I really think Marseille to adv is a good bet but i dont like the lack of value. So that means i have to make other options which mean draw/marseille ml and pk to advance.

Marseille ML +725 (.5x)

Draw +330 (1x)

Marseille to adv PK +246 (2x)

Im not interested in hearing about the Man UTd history. We all know they will score a goal in the last minute and adv with a 2-1 or 1-0 win.

Kraghen
    Kraghen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2985

I'm with you on this one, even if I'm quite afraid about UTD playing at Home.... I don't think Marseille will win straight up, but a draw is probable.

squintz4
    squintz4's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 285

I like the draw here too.

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Playing at Old Trafford will be a minefield for Marseille...as their only chance will be to play stout defense and try to catch Man U on the counterattack...which is easier said then done. If they get into open game where the field gets stretched they don't have the horses to match Man U.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

So why not take +1 at barely less than even odds? That's the selection I like. United hasn't scored more than one goal in a CL match in six of their last seven & Marseilles hasn't given one up in five straight. Draw could happen, but like you said - chances are United might slip a goal in there. Not sure I am playing either match as these two tomorrow seem a little tough to gauge especially with United having some defensive issues due to injury.

The Special One
    The Special One's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    At first it looks like an impossible task but if you look a little closer you will see that Man Utd has a serious chance of being eliminated here. In the past UTD would come home with the vital away goal but this time they are in big danger as Marseille can sneak one by the UTD backline and turn this tie on its head. Yes i know all the stats favour UTD but they were eliminated at home last year by Bayern and the year before they allowed 2 goals at home to Porto. THis UTD team just isnt that good.
    ok, I may be a bit biased but I dont like to hope for miracles - this is one of Fergie's last years and he will give it his best...

I will point out a few things:

1) Porto may have drawn the game at 2-2 but that was a fluke... MNU had Evans and Oshea in defense which is outright awful... and this was the first leg form which they went out to win away 0-1 in the second.

2) Bayern were INCREDIBLY lucky to advance - first of all, they scored 1 injury time goal in the first leg to win 2-1 and then headed to the second leg with actual potential to advance... however, MNU absolutely humiliated Bayern in the first half and should have been 4-0 up if not for stupid Rafael... next, he got a very cheap 2 yellows, first one from Van Bommel being typically annoying and then SIX BAYERN PLAYERS crowding the referee after a soft hit on Ribery... and even then, they were outplaying Bayern with 10 MEN!!!
    and btw, Bayern are a much better team than Marseille.

3) MNU is welcoming back Valencia who I dont think anyone has mentioned yet - WTF? did you see what he did vs Arsenal AFTER coming back from 4 MONTHS out with injury and BROKEN LEG!!! he is the key to this game but also note Smalling, who people look at as a typical English rook... I actually like him over Ferdinand and you will see why tomorrow...

I think we will see United bring on this line-up...

------------ Van Der Sar -------------
    --- Rafael --- Smalling --- Vidic --- Evra ---
    ------- Scholes ------ Fletcher -----------
    -- Valencia ------------------- Giggs------
    -------- Rooney --- Chicharito ------

- the defense is good and the mid-field has experience, while Giggs is rested, Valencia is fresh and Chicharito is lethal... if Fergie plays this lineup, they will play unlike seen from them this season IMO...

all in all, I AM NOT WRITING THIS TO DEBATE OR GO AGAINST YOU, I am just pointing out my opinion...

good luck with your pick while I will be on MNU -1

The Special One

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    So why not take +1 at barely less than even odds? That's the selection I like. United hasn't scored more than one goal in a CL match in six of their last seven & Marseilles hasn't given one up in five straight. Draw could happen, but like you said - chances are United might slip a goal in there. Not sure I am playing either match as these two tomorrow seem a little tough to gauge especially with United having some defensive issues due to injury.
    ok, dont look at the typical stats regarding MNU - first of all, their lineup will be quite different than earlier CL games and also, they will take this game 10 times more seriously.

EaglesPhan36

Waiting for sure to see Vidic in the lineup or not. If he's in the lineup, United will probably sneak out the win. If he's out, then it's a big blow. I've read one site that has him ready for sure, but most had cast him as doubtful. Regardless though, I still think it's going to be a one goal match ... maybe two if United score early and force Marseilles to open up.

The Special One

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    Waiting for sure to see Vidic in the lineup or not. If he's in the lineup, United will probably sneak out the win. If he's out, then it's a big blow. I've read one site that has him ready for sure, but most had cast him as doubtful. Regardless though, I still think it's going to be a one goal match ... maybe two if United score early and force Marseilles to open up.
    if United were to play with the same lineup as the first leg, this match will barely be 1-0/2-0... but if Fergie plays Chicha and Valencia, then watch out, could be a blow-out... really depends on lineup though and so I will only lock my bet about 1 hour prior to gametime.

EaglesPhan36

Good luck man. I probably won't have any vested interest in this one as I am probably going to pass, so hope you nail it!

Arsenal
    Arsenal's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by The Special One View Post

if United were to play with the same lineup as the first leg, this match will barely be 1-0/2-0... but if Fergie plays Chicha and Valencia, then watch out, could be a blow-out... really depends on lineup though and so I will only lock my bet about 1 hour prior to gametime.
    I don't really have a solid opinion on this game but I firmly believe part of what I am quoting. I really think it is wise for betters to wait and see the lineups before betting a lot of the matches, especially this one. You will get a lot of info as to how this game might play out by the team Sir Alex puts out there.

donsirlisir
    donsirlisir's Avatar Become A Pro!

manutd will advance. don't waste your money

JOHON8
    gambling fallacy
    JOHON8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 338

Not a good time to bet against United, they just came off a big win vs Arsenal and the player confidence level is pretty high.

pinchylarue
    *** SBR'S WORST POKER PLAYER ***
    pinchylarue's Avatar Become A Pro!

My uncle lives in england and he just IM'd me and said about 3 hours ago fergie said vidic will play pending a game time physical.
    Personally I think he will play , if not I still think MANU takes this -1.

final score 3-1 MANU

JOHON8
    gambling fallacy

Quote Originally Posted by pinchylarue View Post
    My uncle lives in england and he just IM'd me and said about 3 hours ago fergie said vidic will play pending a game time physical.
    Personally I think he will play , if not I still think MANU takes this -1.

final score 3-1 MANU
    Well you can just check manutd.com for that info if you want.

I really believe this game ends 0-0 or 1-1, United played great in France and they still couldn't get through the defense.

Greekbet
    Greekbet's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 45

Rio Ferdinand and Johnny Evans are still out. Fletcher, Park and Hargreaves are also injured.
    I think Manchester United "ll win this game by at least one goal.

ArminMD
    El Moldovano.
    ArminMD's Avatar Become A Pro!

draw...hmm, united score 2 min... maybe 3... so i think 2-1,3-1 the score..

secret007
    secret007's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 332

Knowing you like Arsenal, this could be a "biased" pick by you LB.. but i like it myself.. Marseille +1 for me

Kraghen

Quote Originally Posted by secret007 View Post
    Knowing you like Arsenal, this could be a "biased" pick by you LB.. but i like it myself.. Marseille +1 for me
    He likes Arsenal, but it doesn't mean LB like Marseille... He just checked the odd and it's strange that Marseille to Advance is that low, especially in old trafford where United haven't losed for 24 games and won 7 games in a row. Since the 14th Sept 2010, every teams that went to old trafford conceded at least one goal... It won't be easy for Marseille, but they have a great coach, and some talented players... I think they can get the draw, but on the other hand, it's really hard to bet against Man UTD at home... It would be nice to see a french team on the other stage.... I have more faith in Lyon though...

BL
    BL's Avatar Become A Pro!

may want to add some +1 lb

JOHON8
    gambling fallacy

Quote Originally Posted by Kraghen View Post
    He likes Arsenal, but it doesn't mean LB like Marseille... He just checked the odd and it's strange that Marseille to Advance is that low, especially in old trafford where United haven't losed for 24 games and won 7 games in a row. Since the 14th Sept 2010, every teams that went to old trafford conceded at least one goal... It won't be easy for Marseille, but they have a great coach, and some talented players... I think they can get the draw, but on the other hand, it's really hard to bet against Man UTD at home... It would be nice to see a french team on the other stage.... I have more faith in Lyon though...
    They upset Madrid last year in same position, I don't think Mourinho is going to let that happen again. The difference is last time Lyon won 1-0 at home, this time Madrid got the away goal.

Kraghen

INTERESTING INFORMATION FOR MARSEILLE BACKERS :

In 1998; Monaco won against Manchester United (0-0 and 1-1) when they were ruled by Didier Deschamps. The Marseille coach wants to do the same as before to reach the next stage. OM only need a draw with at least one goal to reach the next stage while Manchester United will try to score at least one more goal than Marseille.

Kraghen

Quote Originally Posted by JOHON8 View Post

They upset Madrid last year in same position, I don't think Mourinho is going to let that happen again. The difference is last time Lyon won 1-0 at home, this time Madrid got the away goal.
    Mourinho is certainly the best coach ever, but I still keep thinking Lyon have their chance to succeed. Lissandro Lopez is a beast. Lyon won't have any pressure as they are not favored... if Bastos, Briand, Lopez, Delgado, Gomis, Kallstrom, Toulalan, Gourcuff are playing against Madrid, I'll bet on a draw or Lyon to succeed.

RedDevil11
    RedDevil11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

I know you don't want to know about history, but United have never lost to any French side at Old Trafford. They've also won 10 of their last 11 knockout games in CL. Regardless of how 'bad' United might look to the outsider, they are a juggernaut at Old Trafford. Vidic is playing, Nani and Carrick will definitely be in the lineup and see action today. It will be tight, but I think United win this 2-0 and move on.

Kraghen

Quote Originally Posted by RedDevil11 View Post
    I know you don't want to know about history, but United have never lost to any French side at Old Trafford. They've also won 10 of their last 11 knockout games in CL. Regardless of how 'bad' United might look to the outsider, they are a juggernaut at Old Trafford. Vidic is playing, Nani and Carrick will definitely be in the lineup and see action today. It will be tight, but I think United win this 2-0 and move on.
    Monaco got two draw against Man UTD in 1998, and their coach was Didier Deschamps... so of course no french team won, but if marseille get a draw with at least one goal tonight, they will qualify!

RubberKettle
    RubberKettle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 791

Don't play this game. Its a heart attack in the making.

If you play on United the longer it stays 0-0 the more pressure you incur. If you play on Marsille you will be gutted when United win 1-0.

1-0 will be scoreline imo.

RedDevil11
    RedDevil11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

Quote Originally Posted by Kraghen View Post
    Monaco got two draw against Man UTD in 1998, and their coach was Didier Deschamps... so of course no french team won, but if marseille get a draw with at least one goal tonight, they will qualify!
    From watching the 1st leg, I'm not sure this Marseille team have such players that will scare me like that Monaco squad back in 98. (with Henry, Trezequet, etc). Brandao looked like he could be dangerous, but he's not even available this match. United were having an Arsenal (circa 2010) kind of season back in 98 when we were getting eliminated in every cup front. But yes, I hear what you're saying...an away goal will be bad but I think United outright win this game. Will be watching from the sidelines, so good luck.

SRBI
    SRBI's Avatar Become A Pro!

No freakin chance but good luck homeslice.

TurkzZ
    TurkzZ's Avatar Become A Pro!

OM are suited to the counter attack, its a long shot .... but good value at small stakes

courtemanche08
    courtemanche08's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

i like the pick i put a unit on them advancing as well

Kraghen

the Marseille Advances odd didn' move in either way at all.... it should be up to 4 or 5!

The Special One

again I will say this - VALENCIA is one the most underrated factors in this game, with him, they play COMPLETELY differently...

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7696

Quote Originally Posted by The Special One View Post
    ok, I may be a bit biased but I dont like to hope for miracles - this is one of Fergie's last years and he will give it his best...

I will point out a few things:

1) Porto may have drawn the game at 2-2 but that was a fluke... MNU had Evans and Oshea in defense which is outright awful... and this was the first leg form which they went out to win away 0-1 in the second.

2) Bayern were INCREDIBLY lucky to advance - first of all, they scored 1 injury time goal in the first leg to win 2-1 and then headed to the second leg with actual potential to advance... however, MNU absolutely humiliated Bayern in the first half and should have been 4-0 up if not for stupid Rafael... next, he got a very cheap 2 yellows, first one from Van Bommel being typically annoying and then SIX BAYERN PLAYERS crowding the referee after a soft hit on Ribery... and even then, they were outplaying Bayern with 10 MEN!!!
    and btw, Bayern are a much better team than Marseille.

3) MNU is welcoming back Valencia who I dont think anyone has mentioned yet - WTF? did you see what he did vs Arsenal AFTER coming back from 4 MONTHS out with injury and BROKEN LEG!!! he is the key to this game but also note Smalling, who people look at as a typical English rook... I actually like him over Ferdinand and you will see why tomorrow...

I think we will see United bring on this line-up...

------------ Van Der Sar -------------
    --- Rafael --- Smalling --- Vidic --- Evra ---
    ------- Scholes ------ Fletcher -----------
    -- Valencia ------------------- Giggs------
    -------- Rooney --- Chicharito ------

- the defense is good and the mid-field has experience, while Giggs is rested, Valencia is fresh and Chicharito is lethal... if Fergie plays this lineup, they will play unlike seen from them this season IMO...

all in all, I AM NOT WRITING THIS TO DEBATE OR GO AGAINST YOU, I am just pointing out my opinion...

good luck with your pick while I will be on MNU -1

No offence to you but to say anyone got lucky versus MAn UTd is absurd. No team has had more luck and fluke wins in the last 20 years in world sports than Man Utd. NONE.

SoV
    "Why always me"
    SoV's Avatar Become A Pro!

No offence to you but to say anyone got lucky versus MAn UTd is absurd. No team has had more luck and fluke wins in the last 20 years in world sports than Man Utd. NONE.

I'm also on Marseille PK +327, for a bit of interest. Massive price on them, seeing they are much better than Lyon, imo and just need a scored draw to advance. The line is based more on reputation than teams.

The Special One

ok sure, but I am saying that mostly to point out that your bet WILL require a ton of luck... sure, anything can happen in soccer but do you want to rely on red card/penalties? and even then, MNU might be 'lucky' enough to advance.

12 Last