Wilba
    Wilba's Avatar Become A Pro!

Wilbas soccer picks!

Welcome everyone to my soccer picks thread. I have done very well, for a number of years now, on soccer handicapping. So I decided to start a thread to share my picks with those who might be interested.

Wilba

The first pick of my new thread is in the Australian A league. I am a little late posting this, as the game kicks off shortly, but being the first post I doubt many will see it before the game anyway:

League: Australian A league
    Pick: Adelaide United -1.5
    Risk: 4 units
    Potential win: 4.36 units

phenomenon
    phenomenon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 958

goodluck,and wellcome to u too

Wilba

A few notes about the thread:

1) Usually I will post my plays much further in advance of kick off than in the A league game above.
    2) At times there may be a few days where I am not able to get to this thread, but I will update it each time I am able to with win/loss and units won/lost record
    3) For me personally, 1 unit represents a little over 0.5% of my bankroll. Most of my plays will range from 2-6 units, which for me is around 1-4% of my bankroll. Around 6-7.5 units will be the biggest plays I will ever have, and these (obviously) represent the strongest picks. 4 units is a strong play, and 2 units a 'standard' strength play. The strongest plays will be marked with the *** you see on a few of the bets below.
    4) All plays will be posted with the odds offered at Pinnacle, at the time I placed my bet.
    I will post all plays in decimal odds, if anyone does not understand the conversion from decimal to US odds, just let me know and I will explain.

To give you an idea of the plays that I will have on an average weekend, these were my results from last weekend. I sometimes bet on overs/unders, but usually just ML's and point spreads. As can be seen I bet on a wide range of odds, from 5.0 underdogs (+400 US odds), to 1.62 favorites (-170 in US odds). Wherever the value is!

German Bundesliga, Hannover 96* to WIN, RISK 4 to WIN 6.62. RESULT: WIN +6.62 units
    Dutch Eredivise, NAC Breda to WIN***, RISK 4.57 to win 10.0. RESULT: WIN +10.0 units
    Dutch Eredivise, PSV Eindhoven*-1.5, RISK 3.40 to win 3.75. RESULT: LOSS -3.4 units
    English Premier League: Liverpool*-0.5/1, RISK 2.89 to WIN 5.0. RESULT: LOSS -2.89 units
    English Championship: Bristol City*PK/-0.5 RISK 3.15 to WIN 3.50. RESULT: WIN +3.50
    English Championship: Cardiff City*WIN RISK 3.00 to WIN 5.37. RESULT: LOSS -3.00
    German Bundesliga: Bayern München*** -1.5/2, RISK 5.04 to WIN 4.75. RESULT: WIN +4.75
    German Bundesliga: Borussia Dortmund****-1.5, RISK 6.58 to WIN 11.0. RESULT: WIN +11.0
    Scottish Premier League: Heart -1.5, RISK 2.75 to WIN 5.5. RESULT: WIN +5.5
    A league: Draw(Sydney FC vs Brisbane Roar)*RISK 3.69 to WIN 10.0: RESULT: LOSS -3.69
    Dutch Eredivise, Ajax -1.5, RISK 4.95 to WIN 5.00 RESULT: LOSS -4.95
    Dutch Eredivise, FC Twente Enschede PK. RISK 4.00 to WIN 2.65 RESULT: LOSS -4.00
    Spanish La liga: Mallorca -1 RISK 4.35 to WIN 7.00 RESULT: LOSS -4.35
    Spanish La liga: Real Madrid -1/1.5 RISK 4.00 to WIN 2.5 RESULT: WIN +2.5
    Spanish La liga: Barcelona -2/2.5 RISK 4.00 to WIN 2.6. RESULT: WIN +2.6
    Spanish La liga: Valencia*-1 RISK 7.1 to WIN 5.0 RESULT: LOSS -7.1
    English Premier League: Manchester United to WIN, RISK 4.42 to WIN 4.25. RESULT: WIN +4.25

WEEKEND TOTAL = +17.34 UNITS

This is 17 plays total. On the average week I will have anywhere between 10-20 plays in total. Obviously, at +17.34 units, this was a good weekend, however the previous 2 weekends have been just as good, which was the main inspiration behind starting this thread. My only fear is that, after such a good run, a down streak is inevitable! I was considering waiting a couple of weeks before starting this thread for this reason, but here it goes anyway..

For future reference, I will abbreviate the leagues for ease of posting, as follows:
    Australian A league: A league
    English Premier League: EPL
    English Championship: EFL
    German Bundesliga: German
    Dutch Eredivise: Dutch
    Spanish La Liga: La Liga

If anyone has any questions, or does not understand the Asian style soccer odds such as Liverpool*-0.5/1, feel free to ask.

Wilba

Quote Originally Posted by phenomenon View Post
    goodluck,and wellcome to u too
    wow that was quick! A post already!

well thank you for your good wishes, and glad to have you on board. Hope I can steer some winners your way.

phenomenon

hope we all friend

Wilba

I see now that you have your own thread also! Looking forward to following that.

phenomenon

yeah but I am not betting continuosuly pal, just write there when I saw something nice

latinrus
    Pats, Pats, Pats
    latinrus's Avatar Become A Pro!

I can see new people on the board! Nice!

BOL Pal!

Wilba

why thankyou!

svenodds
    MOJO
    svenodds's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5885

BOL

Wilba

well that's one big, fat, loss to start the thread with

League: Australian A league
    Pick: Adelaide United -1.5
    Risk: 4 units
    Potential win: 4.36 units
    Result: Loss -4.0 units

YTD: +53.24 units
    Thread to date: -4.0 units

I will post quite a few for the European soccer games tomorrow night. cheers!

Wilba

These are not official plays but worth a mention - there is a lot of draws going on in the French league 2 at the moment. Of particular note are the following games to be draws:
    Draw(Reims vs Clermont)*
    Draw(Troyes vs Évian Thonon Gaillard FC)*
    Draw(Nantes Atlantique vs Sedan)*
    Draw(Vannes FC vs Le Havre)* especially this one.

Keep in mind draws pretty much always pay over 3.00, so winning 2/4 gives a decent profit. Be back tomorrow

philliesfinest
    philliesfinest's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 15620

love betting the draw also ,but really do not follow french league 2

Wilba

ya lots of good value in draws. So far this season, in French ligue 2, draws have hit 109/327 games (33.33%). Average odds well over 3.0. We also have 11/20 teams hitting at least 7 draws in their 17 games. So pretty much, when any two of these 11 teams play each other, there is value for the draw IMO.

spartangreen
    spartangreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 479

French 2 one of the better draw leagues around.

Marginalis
    Marginalis's Avatar Become A Pro!

GL with this.

Wilba

Quote Originally Posted by Wilba View Post
    These are not official plays but worth a mention - there is a lot of draws going on in the French league 2 at the moment. Of particular note are the following games to be draws:
    Draw(Reims vs Clermont)*
    Draw(Troyes vs Évian Thonon Gaillard FC)*
    Draw(Nantes Atlantique vs Sedan)*
    Draw(Vannes FC vs Le Havre)* especially this one.

Keep in mind draws pretty much always pay over 3.00, so winning 2/4 gives a decent profit. Be back tomorrow
    RESULTS FROM LAST NIGHTS 'UNOFFICIAL' GAMES (3/4 DRAW PICKS WON):
    Draw(Reims vs Clermont)* @ 3.26 LOSS -1 UNIT
    Draw(Troyes vs Évian Thonon Gaillard FC)* @ 3.24 WIN +2.24 UNIT
    Draw(Nantes Atlantique vs Sedan)* @ 3.19 WIN +2.19 UNIT
    Draw(Vannes FC vs Le Havre)* especially this one. @ 3.01 WIN +2.01

As stated, these were not 'official' thread picks, but I will track the 'worth a mention' type bets (playing 1 unit on each) separately, just out of interest.

'UNOFFICIAL BET' RECORD: 3-1, +5.44 UNITS

OFFICIAL:
    YTD: +53.24 units
    Thread to date: -4.0 units

back again later today, quite a few on tonight
    Last edited by Wilba; 12-17-10 at 05:29 PM.

Wilba

Quote Originally Posted by Marginalis View Post
    GL with this.
    thanks mate!

Wilba

I was planning on getting all my picks together then posting at once, but I have seen the line for this game decrease twice already since I placed my bet, so I will post this one now:

League: EPL
    Pick: Sunderland PK ***
    Risk: 7.69 units
    Potential win: 4.25 units

This is one of the strongest picks (3 star ***) however, at odds of 1.552, is close to the lowest odds I would ever go to. BUT, in this game, I feel buying the extra insurance of money back for a draw is vital, as both Sunderland, and the team they play (Bolton) have drawn many games this season. (In fact, playing a draw at 3.42 for this game also seems decent value!) Very hard to see Sunderland losing though. Predicting either a tight win to sunderland, or a draw, for a win or cancelled bet respectively.

back in a few hours with the rest

NYSportsGuy210
    NYSportsGuy210's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 131

If I bet Sunderland ML and the game ends in a draw do I lose the bet or get it refunded?

Wilba

Quote Originally Posted by NYSportsGuy210 View Post
    If I bet Sunderland ML and the game ends in a draw do I lose the bet or get it refunded?
    If you bet Sunderland ML, you are betting sunderland to WIN ONLY - hence if the game is a draw, a ML sunderland bet is a loss, because sunderland did not win, they drew.

I have taken sunderland PK, which means that if Sunderland wins, the bet wins. If Sunderland draws, the bet 'draws' and is a cancelled ticket/refund. Another way of looking at sunderland PK is that you are backing sunderland with a draw being a no bet.

understand it now?

Wilba

btw I LOOOVE your quote. That really is funny! (and in many ways true!)

10mDive08
    10mDive08's Avatar Become A Pro!

That's a lot of juice to be laying the PK. For me, it seems worth it to bet the ML and/or parlay the PK w/ the o/u. What are your thoughts on that? Do you have an opinion on the total?

NYSportsGuy210
    NYSportsGuy210's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 131

Okay I got it now. I think that is a safe bet then....Sunderland PK (-200) for $35.

Wilba

Quote Originally Posted by NYSportsGuy210 View Post
    Okay I got it now. I think that is a safe bet then....Sunderland PK (-200) for $35.
    unfortunately, yes, the juice has now increased. Which book are you with? as of 10 sec ago, at pinnacle, it is -194. When I placed the bet earlier today was -181. Obviously other people are jumping on sunderland also.

but yes, I think it is a very safe bet

Wilba

Quote Originally Posted by 10mDive08 View Post
    That's a lot of juice to be laying the PK. For me, it seems worth it to bet the ML and/or parlay the PK w/ the o/u. What are your thoughts on that? Do you have an opinion on the total?
    All of my bets are carefully chosen, factoring many different things. I rated this game as a high chance of a draw. My rating came out at 53% chance sund win, 40% chance draw, 7% chance bolton win. therefore the best value was in the sunderland PK bet. (counting a draw as no bet with PK, this equates to 88% chance win, 12% chance loss)

I realise that this is a lot of juice, and as explained, usually I am more likely to play +500 'dogs than play high juice like this, but as you can see from my ratings, my reasoning for taking the high juice for PK rather than +112 for ML is that the PK has a higher expected return, due to the high likelihood of a draw.

If you really wanted to play something with a higher payout on this game in particular, I would play the draw rather than sund. ML. And if I was forced to pick a total to parley the PK with, I would go with UND 2.5, however I do not think there is a great deal of value in this.

As I said, there is always a great deal of calculations which go into each game I select, and the line which I select on that game. I have had a great deal of success doing this. If you want a better paying game, come back in 3-4 hours and there will be at least 4-5 to choose from with better payouts than this. This is a very good bet even with the high juice due to the extremely low chance of losing.

cheers

10mDive08
    10mDive08's Avatar Become A Pro!

Appreciate the insight and numbers. Thanks!

Wilba

I will just post this one quickly now too, for fear the line drops as it did in the sunderland game:

League: EPL
    Pick: Liverpool -1
    Risk: 3.5 units
    Potential win: 3.5 units

Wilba

Quote Originally Posted by 10mDive08 View Post
    Appreciate the insight and numbers. Thanks!
    no worries! I am delighted to already have a few people in here following and asking questions! always happy to help

Wilba

Now for the German picks:

League: Germany
    Pick: Schalke 04 -1/1.5 ***
    Risk: 5.12 units
    Potential win: 6.5 units

Wilba

League: Germany
    Pick: Borussia Dortmund -1/1.5 ***
    Risk: 5.45 units
    Potential win: 9.0 units

This one has the best value so far. Borussia Dortmund have been playing in a league of their own this season, and 12 of their 16 games on the season have been Dortmund wins by 2+ goals - an incredible record really. They have been an absolute goldmine for me this season, so hopefully this continues for tonight, the last bundesliga round before the winter break.

JW Cash
    JW Cash's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Wilba View Post
    All of my bets are carefully chosen, factoring many different things. I rated this game as a high chance of a draw. My rating came out at 53% chance sund win, 40% chance draw, 7% chance bolton win. therefore the best value was in the sunderland PK bet. (counting a draw as no bet with PK, this equates to 88% chance win, 12% chance loss)

I realise that this is a lot of juice, and as explained, usually I am more likely to play +500 'dogs than play high juice like this, but as you can see from my ratings, my reasoning for taking the high juice for PK rather than +112 for ML is that the PK has a higher expected return, due to the high likelihood of a draw.

If you really wanted to play something with a higher payout on this game in particular, I would play the draw rather than sund. ML. And if I was forced to pick a total to parley the PK with, I would go with UND 2.5, however I do not think there is a great deal of value in this.

As I said, there is always a great deal of calculations which go into each game I select, and the line which I select on that game. I have had a great deal of success doing this. If you want a better paying game, come back in 3-4 hours and there will be at least 4-5 to choose from with better payouts than this. This is a very good bet even with the high juice due to the extremely low chance of losing.

cheers

Hey Will....

GL with the thread....

If you are talking about the Sunderland/Bolton match..
    the Greek has Sunderland +105 for the ML.....would
    that be the same as PK in soccer??

Unfortunately being from the US...I do not have access to buying
    insurance for a draw...so I am somewhat limited in my
    soccer wagering....

PickApprentice
    PickApprentice's Avatar Become A Pro!

You can create your own insurance for a draw, by working out ta certain ratio.

JW Cash
    JW Cash's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by PickApprentice View Post
    You can create your own insurance for a draw, by working out ta certain ratio.

Can you give me an example as to how its done.....

1234 ... Last