TurkzZ
    TurkzZ's Avatar Become A Pro!

Goal.com Betting: Getting Through A Steve McClaren Style Disaster To End Up Smiling

Goal.com Betting Blog: Getting Through A Steve McClaren Style Disaster To End Up Smiling

JD felt like the wally with a brolly early in the week but was sporting a grin the English gaffer would be proud of by the end of it...

My past betting week has been a rollercoaster for yours truly with several dishes of pain and pleasure being dished out.

Last Saturday was a bit like Steve McClaren's tenure as England manager - an absolute disaster. A couple of my fancied teams during the day returned dull draws and left me out of pocket.

Fortunately the rest of the weekend and all my midweek matches went perfectly as I got back into the groove in style with a large number of consecutive wins.

Over the last couple of years I've learnt not to panic when a few results don't go my way. It's important to remain cool, composed and to trust yourself. The bigger picture of making a profit at the end of the week or month remains the ultimate goal for every punter.

From time to time two or three consecutive bets go against you and you think the whole world is conspiring against you. The betting Gods have decided to wreak vengeance on you personally. You know the story.

Then your luck changes and the next seven bets are winners. Life becomes wonderful again and everybody is happy. Who's for champagne?

Last Saturday I took a position on Zenit St. Petersburg to win at home and did the same with Huddersfield. To cut an epic story short both teams drew.

Draws can kill gamblers and most of us detest them. In fact when the team you backed loses the game it's easier to accept. For a punter you can deal with the fact that you made the wrong call on the game.

I refused to panic and had a scan at the evening's fixtures. I had a small bet on Barcelona to win but also covered myself by betting on both teams to score so that cancelled the loss out as Sevilla ran out winners.

Over in France St Etienne were playing Sochaux that evening and I'd brushed off my school French to read Sochaux had a few players out through injury and suspension. Taking a punt on St Etienne at 10/11 (1.91) they won 3-2 so it restored a bit of stability to my betting strategy and my bank account. Merci beaucoup.

In Ireland my favourite club Sligo Rovers were playing that evening, too. I've made a killing on betting on them to win at home and they didn't let me down by winning 4-0.

The tide was turning.

On Sunday I felt that both teams to score in the Liverpool Arsenal game was an excellent bet at 5/6 (1.83). History backed me up as both sides had scored in this fixture over the last few seasons.

Things looked a bit dodgy for long periods in the match until Pepe Reina bundled the ball into his net as we ticked towards injury time to make it 1-1. Both teams had registered a goal even if a Liverpool player had bagged both of them!

On Monday night Manchester United with a -1 handicap was a smashing bet at 4/6 (1.67). I'd advised some of my work colleagues and friends to lump a few quid on that and it duly delivered for us all as the Red Devils comfortably saw off Newcastle Utd 3-0. Looks like being a long season for the Geordie fans.

On Tuesday I backed Montpellier +1 away to Monaco as I felt there was good value in 8/13 (1.62) for them to come away with a result. Montpellier are a big strong athletic team and I wasn't surprised when they earned a credible draw in Monte Carlo.

By Wednesday I went conservative by backing Basel to beat the Moldovan champions Sheriff Tiraspol. odds of 4/9 (1.44) weren't great but I was convinced the Swiss would deliver. Basel won 1-0 and even missed a penalty.

Often people ask me about odds and say sometimes they are keen on a certain team to win but the poor odds put them off. Nonsense. My advice is simple: try not to get too drawn into odds or be seduced by them.

I actually look at the fixtures without the odds beside them at first before I do anything. Then I write down the teams or outcomes I fancy instantly and then start my research. It's only when I decide firmly on a bet that I look at the best price available.

Odds of say 2/5 (1.40) may not be appealing but it's a 40% return which is far better than a kick in the teeth. There aren't many investments out there at the moment that give such a return. Trust me, I've looked.

Thursday night brought the banker of the week. Villarreal were playing a team that finished third in the Belarus league last year. Dnepr Mogilev had overachieved a bit in doing that, so I knew they would be out of their depth against the Yellow Submarine.

Backing Villarreal with a -1 handicap at 8/13 (1.62) I felt it was generous to say the least. They didn't let me down romping home to win 5-0.

So there you have it. From a terrible Saturday to five days of betting bliss. There is a lesson for us all. DON'T PANIC when a couple of results don't go your way. Keep cool and continue to identify the opportunities out there every week. It works out in the end.

svenodds
    MOJO
    svenodds's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5885

Nice writing

BOL this season