Squirrel
    Nutty Punter
    Squirrel's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 223

Squirrels 'Football League' Thread

As the new season in England gets underway it's my intention just to concentrate on all the leagues that I know best - namely the Championship and Leagues 1 & 2 in England. I did have previews written up of each division but since the season has already started I won't bother with that. I'll start with a couple of ante-post bets (below) and then post picks as the season goes on, most of the time I will give some reasoning with a pick but sometimes time might not allow that.

So, to begin, a couple of ante-post bets that I like:

Billy Sharp - Championship top scorer @ +1600
    I was mighty impressed with Sharp on loan at Donny last year and he could well net a sackful with a full season in the team. He toiled a bit at Sheffield United because of their long ball style but Doncaster like to get it down and play a bit, a style which suits Sharp to a tee - he also takes penalties and free kicks which is an added bonus. Bellamy and Chopra at Cardiff are ahead of him in the betting, but those being in the same team I see them sharing the goals for however long Bellamy is on loan there for, and the other 2 main market contenders are both Middlesbrough strikers who are never going to score a lot of goals with Gordon Strickens style of play.

Leicester City (Championship) to be promoted @ +600
    Having lost in the playoff semi finals thanks to a cocky penalty attempt by Yann Kermogant, ex-boss Nigel Pearson swannied off to pastures new to be replaced by Paulo Sousa. The Foxes are a hard team to beat and as was shown on opening day this season they can give it a go when they are getting beaten and there is definitely goals in this team. Sousa likes to try and play good football and Pearson built this team with a similar mentality, the return of DJ Campbell to partner Matty Fryatt is a massive plus for the foxes. I have many questions about all the top teams in this division and Leicester are the best value in the promotion market to me.

Clinton Morrison - League One top scorer @ +1200

This big fella is a true championship striker and has an excellent record at that level and stepping down in class and into a division thats more suited to physical football should do him good. He is a big, mardy, arrogant rooster_eater who will take no shiat from any defenders and can kick them off the park if he has to. The only question mark that may stop him netting 20 goals is injury, but he's played the last couple of games and is slowly returning to fitness and not showing any signs of his old injury affecting him. Lambert is favourite in this market but I think last year was "his" year and there are plenty of questions about his knee long term too. Tough division this with alot of good strikers in, but at this price for a championship striker who's playing on a team who I expect to be promoted at the 1st attempt is a good deal.

Tranmere Rovers (League One) to be relegated @ +250
    Tranmere narrowly avoided the drop last season but I think the improved class in teams promoted from the division below will see them fall through the trapdoor this time out. Les Parry inherited an awful team from John Barnes and its not possible to polish a turd in such a short space of time. They are a very young team and dont have any money at all, would not be surprised if they were one of the teams who went into administration this coming season as fans stay away and revenues die off - I dont see how Tranmere can survive this season.

Those are the ante-posts that stand out to me but its a VERY tough season to call in each of the 3 divisions, I dont think there has been parity like this for a long time. There are probably 12 teams who will fancy their chances at getting promoted from each division, and probably 12 who will be fearful of relegation too - Its gonna be a fun season.

I'm in the process of analysing the weekends card right now so will be back tomorrow to kick this thread off properly - its going to be a long and awesome season for fans of the football league.

Jay Price
    Jay Price's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 435

Looking forward to your picks

Squirrel
    Nutty Punter

Not really feeling a lot on the card this weekend - the season is still a bit too young and its hard to really judge anything right now. Going with:

Bournemouth +210 (@ Tranmere, League One)
    Loving this price on a team off the back of a 5-1 demolition of one of the promotion faves, assuming this is priced so high partly on the fact the Cherries lost to Charlton in their last away game...but they only lost 1-0 and Charlton aren't a bad team at all. Tranmere are a godawful team on paper, and their 2 league performances have pretty much mirrored that.

Leicester +275 (@ Burnley, Championship)
    Despite 4 points out of 6 I dont think Burnleys performances have been all that good, a battling 1-1 draw at Ipswich was something of a culture shock that they had been releaged again. Leicester only have 1 point but have put in 2 excellent performances, they fought back against Palace and should have beaten 'Boro LTO ... there are goals galore in this team and I think they can get the 2 goals needed that would probably guarantee a win here.

Thats about all I got for this weekend, 72 games on the card and I like TWO of them, thats not normal...!

Good luck to all whatever you play

svenodds
    MOJO
    svenodds's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5885

BOL to the season

Squirrel
    Nutty Punter

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post
    Bournemouth +210 (@ Tranmere, League One)
    Leicester +275 (@ Burnley, Championship)
    Bournemouth obliged nicely and the Tranmere Rovers "autofade machine" for this season is well and truly in business. Leicester played like absolute shite and get deservedly tonked on. Oh well, them's the breaks in this game.

Back closer to the weekend with some more picks and stuff, trying my best to remain completely dis-interested in anything thats not the football league.

SoV
    "Why always me"
    SoV's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm on Ricky Lambert top scorer.

Nice to see your thread.

Squirrel
    Nutty Punter

Health permitting I expect Lambert and Morrison would both be not far away, but the top scorer markets are always a complete crap shoot - obviously Brett Pitman leaving Bournemouth doesnt do either bet any harm though

SoV
    "Why always me"
    SoV's Avatar Become A Pro!

Aye, check out my ante-posts in my thread. Some very good value there.

Squirrel
    Nutty Punter

Got 5 I like for this weekend - this is probably more like the number of bets I will have on a full card rather than the 2 last week.

Championship:
    Norwich +350 (@ Notts Forest) - Good price against a team who aint started yet
    Sheff Utd/Preston FT Draw +250 - 2 dull teams with no strikeforces and crap managers

League One:
    Peterborough +188 (@ Plymouth) - Posh been on of the best teams so far this season

League Two:
    Cheltenham Town +150 (Vs Burton) - Cheltenham awesome at home LTO, Burton were gash away.
    Northampton Town +150 (Vs Wycombe) - Wycombe have been dull this year so far, they wont win many on the road.

GL to all whatever yer on

Jay Price
    Jay Price's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 435

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post
    Got 5 I like for this weekend - this is probably more like the number of bets I will have on a full card rather than the 2 last week.

Championship:
    Norwich +350 (@ Notts Forest) - Good price against a team who aint started yet
    Sheff Utd/Preston FT Draw +250 - 2 dull teams with no strikeforces and crap managers

League One:
    Peterborough +188 (@ Plymouth) - Posh been on of the best teams so far this season

League Two:
    Cheltenham Town +150 (Vs Burton) - Cheltenham awesome at home LTO, Burton were gash away.
    Northampton Town +150 (Vs Wycombe) - Wycombe have been dull this year so far, they wont win many on the road.

GL to all whatever yer on
    Love the Peterborough pick

I'm leaning Swansea over Burnley & Derby to sneak a point or three against QPR this weekend.

GL

Sportslover
    Sportslover's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 320

I quite like the following plays in the Football League for the weekend:

Ipswich -110
    Nottingham Forest -106
    Bradford City -109

Squirrel
    Nutty Punter

Quote Originally Posted by dew22 View Post
    Love the Peterborough pick I'm leaning Swansea over Burnley & Derby to sneak a point or three against QPR this weekend. GL
    I was looking at Swansea over Burnley but I loathed to oppose Burnley for the 2nd week in a row after they destroyed Leicester last weekend ... I think they will more than like get at least a draw though.

Not sure i'm ready to fade QPR just yet but its almost certain that they cant repeat their past 3 performances every week.

Good luck pal

Squirrel
    Nutty Punter

Quote Originally Posted by Sportslover View Post
    I quite like the following plays in the Football League for the weekend: Ipswich -110 Nottingham Forest -106 Bradford City -109
    Bradford and Ipsqich were both on my "shortlist" but missed the cut because of their odds, I wont pick anything thats less than even money since the game is just too random to make it value in my opinion - I'm not quite ready to start picking up Nottingham Forest yet, they dont seem to be handling the pressure of being expected to win too well.

GL pal