sanman
    sanman's Avatar Become A Pro!

LA Galaxy star Landon Donovan admits interest in permanent move to Everton

Landon Donovan has admitted that he is interested in a permanent move back to Everton and has not ruled out the possibility that he could leave Major League Soccer before the current transfer window closes.

Toffees boss David Moyes is keen to sign the £9 million-rated USA international from LA Galaxy after Donovan impressed during his loan spell at Everton last season.

Manchester City has also expressed interest in the American star, and Donovan confessed that he could leave MLS if the right offer were to come.

"We hear little bits and pieces here and there," Donovan told The Mirror.

"There have certainly been clubs that are interested but right now it's only preliminary.

“I think there's still a lot of times in the transfer window so we'll see what moves are made and if it's serious then we'll treat it seriously. Anything is possible.

"I would love to go back to Everton.

“I love the people there, I love the fans there, but that said I love being in America too, so we're going to take everything into account and see where it ends up."

Donovan is viewed as a major part of MLS and a key to the growing interest in football in the USA, but Galaxy star admitted that he has to do what is best for his career.

"This is what I do.

"This is my job and I understand all the parts of it, on and off the field. But I'm going to make the decision that's best for me."

MLS commissioner Don Garber acknowledged that the MLS would take a major hit if Donovan were to leave for the Premier League.

"We need to deepen the connection between the American fan as an MLS fan first and a Premier League fan second," said Garber.

"In order to do that, we need our best American players here. We need somebody like Landon, who has grown up in southern California, who is bi-lingual, almost like Captain America for our national team, somebody who is really inspiring a nation of soccer fans.

"We want to have him play next Saturday in front of people who want to see an LA Galaxy game, as opposed to having them wait to experience him on the Fox Soccer Channel or ESPN because they are watching a game being played in Europe.

"I'm the commissioner of MLS and for my goal, raising the profile of our league, we need our best players here and I will always fight hard to keep them here."

samitarian
    samitarian's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

he should go, he was awesome there

lukahh
    lukahh's Avatar Become A Pro!

it'd be good to see him in europe again. don't know if it would really hurt US soccer if he left?

spartangreen
    spartangreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 479

He fit in pretty good there, about time for him to make the jump to Europe full time.

RubberKettle
    RubberKettle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 791

Its about time. Take it to the next level Landon

fataliz
    fataliz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9286

he's a pretti good player. hope the best for him

bostonbruins
    bostonbruins's Avatar Become A Pro!

Why wouldn't you, must be frustrating to be a good player in MLS and be surrounded by mediocrity

TheLock
    TheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7931

Good for Landon but it will be at least a small blow for MLS.

COOGI
    COOGI's Avatar Become A Pro!

he should very smart and good player

Ace_of_Spades
    Golazo De Riverrrr!
    Ace_of_Spades's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

It would be a good idea for him to go to Everton. MLS has nothing for him.

LGBoots
    LGBoots's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

Man City heavily rumoured to be wanting to sign him.

He would have to be crazy to go there(IMO) as he would get very few games. Everton would be the ideal move for him, if indeed he does come back to the UK

gafl
    gafl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 706

Everton seems to be a good fit for Donovan. At this point in his career, he will not get better in the MLS. Has to play against the best. In order for the U.S. national team to be able to compete with the best countries in the world, their players have to play in Europe.