spartangreen
    spartangreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 479

FIFA may sit Slovenia-U.S. referee

JOHANNESBURG – The referee who disallowed a potential game-winning goal for the United States will face an expedited performance review from FIFA and is likely to be excluded from the rest of the world cup, according to a FIFA source.
    Koman Coulibaly from Mali disallowed Maurice Edu’s 86th-minute strike that would have given the USA a 3-2 lead over Slovenia at Ellis Park and likely would have led to a thrilling comeback victory Friday. Coulibaly appeared to rule that American midfielder Michael Bradley had impeded a Slovenian defender, even though video replays showed no infringement.

FIFA’s refereeing committee will review footage from the Group C clash on Saturday to evaluate Coulibaly’s performance after several USA players complained about the way he had struggled to control a fiercely contested match.
    Every World Cup match is viewed live by an on-site assessor who monitors the referee’s performance. However, in this case, a deeper assessment will take place at the earliest possible opportunity. That this is happening so quickly suggests FIFA is taking the complaints about Coulibaly seriously and is likely to leave him unassigned to referee further matches, according to the source. He could still appear as a line judge or other supporting role.
    “If he is found to have made a serious mistake, especially one that affected the outcome, then he would be highly unlikely to play any further part in the tournament,” said the source, who is close to senior figures on the refereeing panel. “FIFA is determined to keep refereeing standards high and does not want high-profile mistakes.”

Coulibaly came under heavy criticism from the U.S. team and head coach Bob Bradley, but it was not just the Edu no-goal that will come under scrutiny.
    Assessors also are likely to be concerned at the highly physical nature of the match. American striker Jozy Altidore was repeatedly involved in tussles with the Slovenian defense, and an ugly incident took place midway through the second half when Slovenia’s Marko Suler appeared to throw Altidore to the ground. Coulibaly issued Suler a yellow card, but the strong infraction was enough for a red card and an ejection.
    FIFA chooses its referees and assistants for each game from a list of elite officials specially selected for the tournament. They are evaluated before the World Cup to ensure that they meet standards of fitness and knowledge.
    Coulibaly’s mistake will only increase calls for the introduction of instant replay for controversial decisions, something FIFA has strongly resisted up to this point.
    “It is up to FIFA for what they do about him,” USA star Clint Dempsey said. “But it wasn’t just the goal. They were holding and pushing and grabbing and putting themselves in there. What are you supposed to do?”

jscar3
    jscar3's Avatar Become A Pro!

i like this referee

JOHON8
    gambling fallacy
    JOHON8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 338

I swear I heard him blow the whistle before every free kick was taken. It was almost like he knew USA was dangerous from the set play and wanted to save his Slovenia +1.

spartangreen

referee still never said what the actual call was, he said no comment, makes you wonder a bit.

oh well, it was one hell of a match, maybe the best match of the world cup so far

gohabsgo
    gohabsgo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

I hope he gets suspended, lost my bet because of this

bigdog3580
    bigdog3580's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 241

Yea BS. He needs to sit.

newjerseydevils
    newjerseydevils's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

that call was bull

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7635

No big deal if he sits. He did his job already.

spartangreen

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    No big deal if he sits. He did his job already.
    Yeah he probably made enough money to buy the biggest hut in all of Mali

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7635

Quote Originally Posted by spartangreen View Post
    Yeah he probably made enough money to buy the biggest hut in all of Mali

NAH he will now be king of mali.

pronk
    pronk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

I've seen a lot worst, give him a brake fellas. As angry as I was earlier today I've already forgave him.

Gio21
    Gio21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Horrible cost us 3 points. I hope FIFA makes that piece of shit explain that bullshit call

RockyS
    penetrate it =)
    RockyS's Avatar Become A Pro!

This article was written by american and all he can see is his big ass. All he talks about is how USA team played fair and such... but what the f*ck did he watch??? Second half was wrestling not football!!! And only stupid americans can watch (fixed) wrestling.
    Get real americans, you got ****ed by Slovenia and that's it. If you can't face it I don't know..... get a help.

griffdog
    griffdog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 181

Ah, gotta love the World Cup and national pride. Being rational is completely optional.

Pareto
    Pareto's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 52093

Rational or not. The world cup should have the best referees in the world, and not referees from a lot of obscure countries whose only reason of being there is they voted for Sepp Blatter as Fifa president.

SoV
    "Why always me"
    SoV's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by pronk View Post
    I've seen a lot worst, give him a brake fellas. As angry as I was earlier today I've already forgave him.
    Yeah, I'll give him a brake because he sure did cause the USA's team to crash.

SRBI
    SRBI's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by spartangreen View Post
    referee still never said what the actual call was, he said no comment, makes you wonder a bit.

oh well, it was one hell of a match, maybe the best match of the world cup so far
    USA matches have to be "one hell of a match(es)" otherwise the American public would turn their TV off after the first 10 minutes. There's a reason that game was so high-scoring, and the referee so controversial. This is is all about TV ratings and money, especially for games that involve the USA.