EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Afterthought: Spain's Loss

So the Spanish loss today was surely a shocker, but I only began to think about what this does to the big picture ... and that could be that it f*cks up more than Spain IF the Spaniards find a way to qualify. Right now, Chile & Switzerland are in the driver's seat with three points. Spain & Honduras with zero. Let's think about the scenarios for Group H first:

Spain vs. Honduras
    Chile vs. Switzerland

We don't want to assume, but anything less than Spain crushing Honduras might be a larger upset than the loss to the Swiss. Spain has to have the full 3 and they should get it against a defensively challenged club. My thoughts on Chile and Switzerland are that the Swiss especially will be happy with a point, knowing they have Honduras last. Chile meanwhile knows a point and a loss to Spain means Chile may not qualify. That will be the key to the group, what happens in that tilt. But if Spain somehow gets through, they probably will be #2 in the group ...

Why is that important?

#2 from Group H plays #1 from Group G ..... BRAZIL [most likely]

#1: That's a spectacular match-up regardless of today.
    #2: That would SUCK if it came in the Round of 16
    #3: Those with Brazil futures [me] would feel far less confident about anything going up against Spain

So yes there is plenty of football to be played in the coming days before the KO stages, but from my standpoint of having both Brazil as a futures play to win it all and to make the semifinals ... I hope Spain fails to qualify or something strange happens where they miraculously manage to qualify in 1st. But Wow, today really may have thrown a kink into this entire competition for many a team.

libwire
    libwire's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

weren't they ranked in the top 5?

phenomenon
    phenomenon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 958

lol I opened this thread too
    it will be interesting, and honestly I don t want this happen, coz I want 4 team in semi final, Germany,Argentina,Brazil,Spain... this will make the tournament unforgettable, otherwise south korea may go to semis too but they will sure eleminated by this 4 teams and won t be good match..

EaglesPhan36

#1: Brazil
    #2: Spain

That's supposed to be a possible finals match-up. I really hope something works out otherwise.

gti175
    gti175's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1509

Spain aint that good, we saw that today. I truely believe chile will win this group... Spain are world cup failures.....

Karayilan9
    FENER / TRABZON
    Karayilan9's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 105

Spains epic fail throws a spanner in the works of our Brazil futures

On the bright side, there is a small chance Spain won't even qualify, either way Brazil can deal with Spain and will physically overpower them.

On the other hand it makes Argentina futures look more promising.

EaglesPhan36

Hope so bro. I am now rooting against Spain to qualify for sure, but I have a feeling they will have a chance to qualify on the final match day of the group stages. Best scenario to eliminate Spain would be for Chile to beat the Swiss and then have the Swiss bury Honduras. Both Chile & Switzerland finish with six points and Spain could get no better than six points. That would leave it to goal differential.

hostile takeover
    hostile takeover's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5372

Spain not good? Let's at least wait until the Cup is over.

phenomenon
    phenomenon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 958

may be u ll laugh at me after this comment but I have big troubles about Spain win the cup, that why coz,I don t give them chance to win 2 big cups in a row...

Squirrel
    Nutty Punter
    Squirrel's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 223

On the other hand ANYTHING can happen - would be no surprise if Spain squeezed through in 2nd place, then crushed Brazil and went on to win it all. Not likely, but you never know.

Thats why we play the games...!

stomptheboard
    stomptheboard's Avatar Become A Pro!

cup is coming to south america

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Spain will qualfy. They will beat Honduras by more than 2 goals, Chile will beat Switzerland by 2 goals and Spain will beat Chile by 1 goal with Switzerland the odd team out.

Jimmy0607
    Jimmy0607's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 285

Spain chokes when it comes to the real deal that's why they have never even reached the semi finals

Raven66
    Raven66's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 685

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Spain will qualfy. They will beat Honduras by more than 2 goals, Chile will beat Switzerland by 2 goals and Spain will beat Chile by 1 goal with Switzerland the odd team out.
    Not really, cuz Swiss will beat Honduras, and it will be by goal differential.

JogoBonito
    JogoBonito's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 716

Spain still have chances of qualifying first, they just need chile to beat switzerland (most likely by 1 goal difference or so) and then Spain needs to crush hounduras and then win the match vs chile and advance 1st by goal difference. Anyways I dont want spain 2nd to play most likely vs brasil on the next round. And any1 that is sayying that spain is the world cup failure or that they suck, they dont know what they are talking bout. they dominated the game, have plenty of chances but their precision was a little bit off. THe swiss goal was a rookie/weird goal and also the lineup that the DT of spain started with was not good and hell surely use another formation and-or players (take out busquets, xavi as a creative midfielder and maybe navas or fabregas in for silva or iniesta). Im brazilian and thats why i dont want spain to qualify 2nd because i know the potential of this team and its scary. Also my dream final is brasil vs spain. so either they finish first or i hope they dont qualify at all !!!

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Karayilan9 View Post

On the bright side, there is a small chance Spain won't even qualify, either way Brazil can deal with Spain and will physically overpower them.

Yes, it does. There's a chance that Brazil, Spain, and Holland all end up in the same quarter of the draw (where only one can make it to the semifinal).

But I think that this loss may help Spain. They can still win their group, but now their loss is out of the way. This type of adversity can help bring a team together. Wouldn't be the first champions to have lost a game in the group phases.

Blutarski
    Blutarski's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 214

I see Chile beating or drawing with them. They're screwed.

Czu81
    Czu81's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5709

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy0607 View Post
    Spain chokes when it comes to the real deal that's why they have never even reached the semi finals
    but somehow they won the last Europe Cup.

hedgejob
    hedgejob's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5164

Quote Originally Posted by Czu81 View Post
    but somehow they won the last Europe Cup.
    Not with this beach ball

subs
    subs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 969

any1 see value in lay spain last 8 at 2.1?

suckerforparlays
    Protein Shakes
    suckerforparlays's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 388

Spain can go **** themselves they ****ed up all my parlays I needed them to win in a 4 team parlay 8 team parlay and 9 team parlay if they win i complete all the parlays

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

Quote Originally Posted by Karayilan9 View Post

Spain's issues we saw against the Swiss are easily fixable, Brazil on the other hand has a wacko coach in Dunga that is trying to change the structure of that team too much and stray from what Brazil is known for. There's no way Brazil will beat Spain easily. Just like you said Japan is going to dominate. Japan dominates no one.