WiseGrumpy
    Got banned, wow
    WiseGrumpy's Avatar Become A Pro!

The most defensive World Cup I have ever seen ...

Before the world cup I have said this World Cup is going to be VERY defensive. The reason is simple, defense wins, in every sport, and the world of soccer understands that today after Inter the best team in the world based on titles showed the world how to kill the best playing team in the world and they did it easily with perfect defense.

So far in this world cup we have seen 15 goals in 9 games. If we didn't have Germany that would be even worse. In 1998 the best World Cup I have ever seen we had 171 goals, the most EVER.
    We will not see scores of 6-0, 8-1 and so on. 4-0 in VERY high to the way the teams are playing, and a World Cup without goals in just boring. Another thing is that the games that we see 0-0, 1-0 or 1-1 are bad games. There are good 0-0 are bad ones, so far we saw bad ones.

It's not all grim, Germany is playing great, South Korea and Japan are great teams, I'm sure Spain and Brazil will play well, but this isn't enough.

Glada Tartan
    Swedish brännboll-expert ;D
    Glada Tartan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Totally agree!

Its tragic.. so tragic! Well only Germany plays with a forward play and NOT with the philosophy of winning with 1-0 in every game!

TurkzZ
    TurkzZ's Avatar Become A Pro!

yh its a strange one, as the temperature are lower i thought there could be some more goals, that said, it could be to do with the opening fixtures and as its the 1st round of games, nobody wants to loose.

Karayilan9
    FENER / TRABZON
    Karayilan9's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 105

Its the first round of games, the emphasis is on a team not losing, second and third games are strategically more likely to have a more attacking intent.

kmoney
    kmoney's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 112

go germany go goals!

Squirrel
    Nutty Punter
    Squirrel's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 223

I'm not buying that its any more defensive than usual tbh, despite the lack of goals thus far - for me its because the whole "shock" factor of the world cup isnt there anymore, back in the 'old days' when a team from Europe played an African team it was a total shock, now 99% of the best players in the world all play in Europe so they know each others games better than they ever used to.

WiseGrumpy
    Got banned, wow

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post
    I'm not buying that its any more defensive than usual tbh, despite the lack of goals thus far - for me its because the whole "shock" factor of the world cup isnt there anymore, back in the 'old days' when a team from Europe played an African team it was a total shock, now 99% of the best players in the world all play in Europe so they know each others games better than they ever used to.
    Actualy a pretty good point. With that it's not about players feeling better or worst, it's the fact teams play with a 5-4-1 line-up which is PATHETIC. And the best teams like Argentina play a one man game which is terrible. I have watched Soccer for the past 20 years and it's getting worst and worst every year. The more money we see, the more soccer is all about winning, not about what we see. A team like Holland with so many strong players, didn't have one decent attack the whole game today. Argentina didn't have one attack that didn't come from the middle with Messi. A team like Serbia that I was sure won't win have 11 players that play in the top levels in the world, had 1 decent shot on goal.

It's not about 1st round, it's about coaches mentality that simply rather not get killed then try and win.

terpkeg
    terpkeg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2434

I do not typically follow Soccer, but I really get into the World Cup, and even the Euro Champ.

It seems like many posters, even Soccer fans, are saying these games are boring. I do not find these low scoring games boring at all. Even games I am not wagering on. I feel like a scoring chance can come at any moment, and unlike other sports, one score is so very important. When I have a wager on a game, I am on the edge of my seat the entire second half.

I grew up a huge NBA fan. IMHO, the NBA has turned into a terribly boring Sport. Maybe it was always this way, but I feel like you do not even have to watch the first 3 quarters of the game. Even if I have a bet on a game, and it is on my TV, I will barely even give it the time of day until the last few minutes.

fisel
    fisel's Avatar Become A Pro!

Watch how Jose Mourinho beat Barcelona with Inter and you'll realise why teams play this way. I don't think it's much of a problem though, this will all change towards the end of the qualifiers and teams need to win.

hedgejob
    hedgejob's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5164

It's the ball

Squirrel
    Nutty Punter

Quote Originally Posted by terpkeg View Post
    I do not typically follow Soccer, but I really get into the World Cup, and even the Euro Champ. It seems like many posters, even Soccer fans, are saying these games are boring. I do not find these low scoring games boring at all.
    Generally I agree and thats a good point, however these games havent been ultra defensive they've just been so devoid of quality its unreal - especially given all the best plaers in the world are allegedly involved in this.

Squirrel
    Nutty Punter

Quote Originally Posted by hedgejob View Post
    It's the ball
    Quite possibly, though its too early to say ... maybe thats the reason that players keep trying to score from 40 yards out ... Wesley Sneijder this afty was shooting from all over the place and making himself look rather foolish.

Interestingly enough the only team with experience of this ball prior to the world cup have put in without doubt the best team performance of the cup so far, namely germany, I believe this same ball was used in the Bundesliga last season.

pronk
    pronk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

How many world cups have you seen?

phenomenon
    phenomenon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 958

it is too early to speak about under over...

WiseGrumpy
    Got banned, wow

Quote Originally Posted by pronk View Post
    How many world cups have you seen?
    I'm a Soccer fan and player ever since I remember myself, watched all World Cup since 90 ...

And it's not the ball ...

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

whatever it is i love these unders

samitarian
    samitarian's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

Teams are just more even these days, other than germany-australia and argentina-nigeria I don't think any games had a clear favourite and it's expected that the games will be more tight and less risk will be taken.

I'm sure as it gets more into the world cup we will see more high scoring games as some teams will have no choice but to attack due to their group standings.

rockman123
    rockman123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 78

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post
    Quite possibly, though its too early to say ... maybe thats the reason that players keep trying to score from 40 yards out ... Wesley Sneijder this afty was shooting from all over the place and making himself look rather foolish.

Interestingly enough the only team with experience of this ball prior to the world cup have put in without doubt the best team performance of the cup so far, namely germany, I believe this same ball was used in the Bundesliga last season.
    Quite possible. As some of my friends tested the ball and sad that it requires less power to go further than any other ball. + the unusual curves it makes. But that should result in more goals in my oppinion. We ll see what happens in the comming days

Glada Tartan

Anyone revised their opinion on this issue?

Spain consequently forfilled this threads topic

d1m@
    d1m@'s Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Glada Tartan View Post
    Totally agree!

Its tragic.. so tragic! Well only Germany plays with a forward play and NOT with the philosophy of winning with 1-0 in every game!
    not only germany, brazil play the same kind of football

Glada Tartan

Agree!

And Uruguay was fun to watch + Argentina, Ghana, Kiwis ... ...

cornerkick
    cornerkick's Avatar Become A Pro!

A lot of defense, too many tactics and not enough magic.