GatorTD
    GatorTD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

Betting on the US? Watch these names.

This was supposed to be a blog but I figured Id post it here. Some names you might not know for the US.

Everyone knows about Landon Donovan, Clint Dempsey, and Tim Howard. It's plainly obvious the United States will ride their best three players as far as their games allow them, but there are a number of international unknowns who could make or break a knockout round run, and some cash flow for bettors of the United States.

Jose Francisco Torres
    Torres, all 5'5” of him, may be the best pure midfielder the United States has, and you may not even see him against England. His small stature would make him a near impossible match up with the strong and athletic English midfield, so the US will likely opt for more a defensive midfielder such as Ricardo Clark or Maurice Edu. During the final group stage games is where you may see more of a man who chose to represent the United States over Mexico in international play. Torres' main asset is his field vision coupled with an ability to make a large majority of the passes. Think of him as an even smaller and poor man's version of Xavi. He's also incredibly dangerous on delivering set pieces and could see a lot of action late in the game when the US needs a general in the midfield to distribute and hold onto a lead.

Edson Buddle
    I could have very well put Robbie Finley in here, and I may regret it if Bob Bradley chooses to go the other way with the decision. There is an open spot at forward for the US next to Jozy Altidore and Buddle has made a strong case to grab the spot. Years ago Buddle was the 'Next Big Thing' in American soccer when injuries and commitment issues sent him spiraling so far down the US striker totem pole you couldn't poke him with a stick. A resurgence for Buddle playing along side Landon Donovan (and David Beckham) at club team LA Galaxy has coincided with a dedication to fitness and the game. Buddle led the MLS in goals before linking up with the national team, and continued his impressive stretch by netting both goals in a friendly vs Australia. He showed very good composure on the ball in terms of collecting passes and setting up attacking runs for the talented US wingers which could lead to some great linking play. The one positive Finley holds over Buddle is pure speed, but the ability to finish might be enough to see if this Edson can match the world cup play of another man named Edson. That Pele guy.

Clarence Goodson
    If you ask soccer fans in America what 'IK Start' is, the last response you'd get would be a soccer club. However IK Start may provide half of the American center back lineup come the World Cup. Although he kind of looks, and plays like a defensive Peter Crouch, Goodson has been forced into the starting role after last year's knee injury to Onejwu. Should 'Gooch' not be fit for a full 90, Goodson's 6'4” frame will be called upon to negate opponent's aerial attack while tough defender Jay Demerit will clear out anything on the ground. Goodson had a good run at the 2009 Gold Cup which jumped him up the center back rankings, and has played well during the friendly matches in the US's run to the World Cup.

donkdown
    donkdown's Avatar Become A Pro!

go pele

Barroco
    El Nacional Moneyline
    Barroco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 288

comparing torres to xavi really, in mexico hes just another player nobody special he would of never been called to the national team anyways.

GatorTD

In terms of style of play. Yes.

In terms of talent. No.

TheAntidote
    The Cure In Your Life
    TheAntidote's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

I think Jay DeMerit's gotta start somewhere in defense for the US against England. He's played in England for years, and while we're comparing US players to others, I'd consider him a poor man's Jamie Carragher. A hard-nosed, blue-collar defender that's not overly big but always seems to be in the right place at the right time.

Nice write-up.

GatorTD

Demerit is already penciled in at center back. Just don't know who he is going to be next to yet. I agree with the comparison.

Socrates
    Socrates's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 113

Torres was actually ignored by Mexico and ended up playing for the U.S.. It's been a good move by him not to wait around. He wouldn't break the starting 11 for Mexico.

He's a great player though, I like his abilities. Has a fantastic first touch and knows how to move without the ball.

ji03
    ji03's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 315

I really like Buddle. I saw him play against Australia and he really impressed.

suckerforparlays
    Protein Shakes
    suckerforparlays's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 388

Edson Buddle is the next superstar for the USA soccer team IMO kids amazing

GatorTD

Unfortunately Buddle is 29 and this will likely be his only WC go round.