lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7696

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    Also forgot to add in Holland. Always overrated. Will never win nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by alukk View Post
    Why is Holland overrated, i just dont get it. At pinny they are the number 5th favorite to win the world cup. Do you think they should be under Italy, Germany, France, Portugal, etc? that are the next teams in the list. And i also think they should be favored over Brazil and Argentina. I mean come on, by names they should be the Favorites besides Spains, plus they have been playing really good as team.

I would like to know why you say they are underrated. That makes no sense for me.

Holland is always overhyped and they havent delivered the goods ever. Sure they have all the names but that means nothing in the end. They also just lost Robben which is a huge blow for them. THey are a very talented squad but they are a public team who will be overpriced every game. Tell me which tourney they have went to that they werent one of the fancied sides? (and subsequently produced)

2006- in Germany they crashed out to the Portuguese in a game where the Dutch showed no steel.
    2002- no show
    1998- did well but lost on penalties to loser Brazil(hiddink was the coach thats why they went far)
    1994- one of the big favorites to win it all they went out in the qtrs to brazil 3-2
    1990- they were the favorite ( behind possibly the germans and italians) and they crashed out in embarassing fashion

euro 2008- lost to russia after a big first round
    euro 2004- lost in qtrs to portugal
    euro 2000(at home) absolutely dominated italy in the semifinal and lost on pk's. they missed 2 pk s in reg time if im correct.

Do you need me to go on and on? Holland is the most overrated soccer side on earth with England.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Slovenia - most underrated
    England - most overrated

World Cup winner will be one of: Brazil, Argentina, Holland, Spain.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
    Slovenia - most underrated
    England - most overrated

World Cup winner will be one of: Brazil, Argentina, Holland, Spain.
    I will replace Argentina with England. England has the right coach for the job whereas Argentina's coach is a laughing stock.

alukk
    alukk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8012

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    I will replace Argentina with England. England has the right coach for the job whereas Argentina's coach is a laughing stock.
    , Cappello will be a K factor

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    If Capello can double the soccer IQ of English players...

You can probably tell, just like the players, what the national style is of Brazil, Holland, Germany, Spain (lately), Italy, Argentina. The players understand that concept as well, and, with the exception of Spain, grew up with it. Now look at England. Can you name their national style? Can the players? How can they buy into something that isn't even clearly defined? That's the problem with England, and it will continue to be. No clear identity. Every tournament again they go in search for it. But the team never gels.

aca
    aca's Avatar Become A Pro!

overrated europians

underrated africans

smallball
    smallball's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 911

Quote Originally Posted by aca View Post
    overrated europians

underrated africans
    haha you gotta be out of your frickin mind

every world cup should be about 26 european teams, 4 from south america and two from the rest over the world, that's how overrated they are.

cro
    Toronto Blue Jays to smash Fister
    cro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 610

european has never won outside europe
    something to consider

smallball
    smallball's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 911

yeah and none other than european and south american teams have won the world cups, so should we ban the rest of the world from it?

brazil won once in europe and thats it

european teams outside of Europe 0 for 8
    non-euros in Europe 1 for 10

I figure europeans have two shots to make it 1 for 10 as well and im sure they wil

alukk

Holland is always overhyped and they havent delivered the goods ever. Sure they have all the names but that means nothing in the end. They also just lost Robben which is a huge blow for them. THey are a very talented squad but they are a public team who will be overpriced every game. Tell me which tourney they have went to that they werent one of the fancied sides? (and subsequently produced)

2006- in Germany they crashed out to the Portuguese in a game where the Dutch showed no steel.
    2002- no show
    1998- did well but lost on penalties to loser Brazil(hiddink was the coach thats why they went far)
    1994- one of the big favorites to win it all they went out in the qtrs to brazil 3-2
    1990- they were the favorite ( behind possibly the germans and italians) and they crashed out in embarassing fashion

euro 2008- lost to russia after a big first round
    euro 2004- lost in qtrs to portugal
    euro 2000(at home) absolutely dominated italy in the semifinal and lost on pk's. they missed 2 pk s in reg time if im correct.

Do you need me to go on and on? Holland is the most overrated soccer side on earth with England.
    Why would you need to go on? We are talking about this WorldCup. You can go on and see italy won last cup, i bet you hollad will do better than italy and that France that won in 98.
    Then if you think they are overrated you will bet almost every game against them cuz the odds wont be right

Jaug
    1 in 2.7 mill
    Jaug's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2977

Also forgot to add in Holland. Always overrated. Will never win nothing.
    This is unfortunately true. They are always somewhere around 5-8 fav to win championships but I don't remember them progressing far in any tourney. It's like they say, offense wins games defense wins championships. Hollands strength is the offense.

I would love to hear a motivation to why Holland is underrated, the odds on them as winners of wc2010 has dropped tremendously.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

Lakerboy sounds like a typical American who jumps on the soccer bandwagon and reasons backwards to come to conclusions. Holland is universally admired by soccer afficionados for their attractive style of play, and is often referred to in a positive sense as the best country to never win the world cup. Does that make them overrated? No. They go deep into tournaments, and during their most amazing performance (1974) came out of nowhere as a big tournament surprise. The only time they underperformed was in 1990.

To reach the WC final, or semifinal, is not underperforming. Holland did so in 1974, 1978 (both times in the final against the home team), and in 1998 (semifinal, lost pk shootout to Brazil). To get a truer picture of strength, take away the home teams that won World Cups. Other than Germany and Italy, not one European country has stayed so consistently at the top. England is nowhere near. France and Spain are far less consistent. Based on population, one could only conclude that Holland has vastly overperformed. This is a small country, the size of Denmark (although more densely populated). What business do they have among the world's best soccer nations?! And yet, there they are... Naranja Mechanica. Ready to steal the hearts of more soccer fans with attacking, fast paced, one touch soccer.

I make a clear distinction here between true lifelong soccer fans, from Europe and South and Middle-America, who invariably speak with admiration about Holland, the inventors of total football, and an American trying to catch up. True soccer fans know each other right away. They speak the same language and have the same respect for the game. Unless he grew up in a soccer culture, an American can't even hope to understand this.
    Last edited by Dark Horse; 06-08-10 at 02:15 PM.

Jaug
    1 in 2.7 mill
    Jaug's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2977

I would love to take action on Holland to win but i'm almost point bust

lakerboy

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
    Lakerboy sounds like a typical American who jumps on the soccer bandwagon and reasons backwards to come to conclusions. Holland is universally admired by soccer afficionados for their attractive style of play, and is often referred to in a positive sense as the best country to never win the world cup. Does that make them overrated? No. They go deep into tournaments, and during their most amazing performance (1974) came out of nowhere as a big tournament surprise. The only time they underperformed was in 1990.

To reach the WC final, or semifinal, is not underperforming. Holland did so in 1974, 1978 (both times in the final against the home team), and in 1998 (semifinal, lost pk shootout to Brazil). To get a truer picture of strength, take away the home teams that won World Cups. Other than Germany and Italy, not one European country has stayed so consistently at the top. England is nowhere near. France and Spain are far less consistent. Based on population, one could only conclude that Holland has vastly overperformed. This is a small country, the size of Denmark (although more densely populated). What business do they have among the world's best soccer nations?! And yet, there they are... Naranja Mechanica. Ready to steal the hearts of more soccer fans with attacking, fast paced, one touch soccer.

I make a clear distinction here between true lifelong soccer fans, from Europe and South and Middle-America, who invariably speak with admiration about Holland, the inventors of total football, and an American trying to catch up. True soccer fans know each other right away. They speak the same language and have the same respect for the game. Unless he grew up in a soccer culture, an American can't even hope to understand this.

First off i am not american. Second off I admired the dutch style of soccer very much watching them when i was much younger and respect how there style revolutionized the game in many ways. I have lived in England for 4 years of my life and attended numerous matches in Germany/France/Denmark/Italy and Spain. I have even seen the Dutch in action on 3 occasions . Once in USA 94 at RFK versus the saudis( when they had a very good side). In france 98 in the argentina match in marseille( when i lived in england and travelled there to watch the world cup). I loved the dutch and admired there style of play and i still remember there hugely dissapointing exit in euro 96 in england when they were thrashed by the hosts at wembley 4-1. I was actually wearing an oranje shirt that day in wembley. Dont assume that im some typical ignorant north american soccer fan. The dutch will dissapoint once again this time around and if they dont i will be happy for them and there army of orange supporters ( wonderful fans to say the least). Based on there talent level in past tourneys( not including the 1974/78 cups) i would venture to say that the results havent matched the expectations. At least there are no reports of in fighting this time around.

BetfairUser
    BetfairUser's Avatar Become A Pro!

While i love watching Holland play, i have to side with those that think they'll go out again in the quarters/semi's. They're style of play won't win them the cup.

alukk

Quote Originally Posted by BetfairUser View Post
    While i love watching Holland play, i have to side with those that think they'll go out again in the quarters/semi's. They're style of play won't win them the cup.
    If they go out in Semis then they are not overrated, none is saying that they will win. Just saying that they are not overrated for this World Cup. Who will you prefer over Holland (talking about odds). they are top 5. Would yo prefer France, Portugal, Chile, Ivory Coast, Mexico, etc.?
    The point here is that it doesn't matter what they have done in the past, the point that they are not overrated now days.

lakerboy

If they go out in Semis then they are not overrated, none is saying that they will win. Just saying that they are not overrated for this World Cup. Who will you prefer over Holland (talking about odds). they are top 5. Would yo prefer France, Portugal, Chile, Ivory Coast, Mexico, etc.?
    The point here is that it doesn't matter what they have done in the past, the point that they are not overrated now days.

Yes based on odds they are 5th favorites to hoist the trophy. So what result will be a dissapointment for them?

D3 Mighty Ducks
    D3 Mighty Ducks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 782

overrated- brazil/portugal - i love seeing all the portuguese in my city crying when they lose- then they pretend they are from brazil if portugal go out early

underrated- chile
    HAHAHA Lakerboy, you must live in Toronto where I live. I'm Italian and the rivalry between the Portuguese and Italians is hugeeeee every 4 years. Also need to add in when Portugal goes out early they all pretend to be Brazilian because they speak the same language

Jimmy0607
    Jimmy0607's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 285

First off i am not american. Second off I admired the dutch style of soccer very much watching them when i was much younger and respect how there style revolutionized the game in many ways. I have lived in England for 4 years of my life and attended numerous matches in Germany/France/Denmark/Italy and Spain. I have even seen the Dutch in action on 3 occasions . Once in USA 94 at RFK versus the saudis( when they had a very good side). In france 98 in the argentina match in marseille( when i lived in england and travelled there to watch the world cup). I loved the dutch and admired there style of play and i still remember there hugely dissapointing exit in euro 96 in england when they were thrashed by the hosts at wembley 4-1. I was actually wearing an oranje shirt that day in wembley. Dont assume that im some typical ignorant north american soccer fan. The dutch will dissapoint once again this time around and if they dont i will be happy for them and there army of orange supporters ( wonderful fans to say the least). Based on there talent level in past tourneys( not including the 1974/78 cups) i would venture to say that the results havent matched the expectations. At least there are no reports of in fighting this time around.
    Owned

JOHON8
    gambling fallacy
    JOHON8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 338

^ Owned indeed.

Holland is destined to disappoint unfortunately for them. I swear even I thought they were monster favorites to win the Euro after destroying Italy and attacking like Brazil, but then reality hit them vs Russia. Betting on them in the group stages is money, but they got a lot to prove after the groups.

alukk

Based on the odds to win the cup: Overated: Brazil. I dont think Italy is overrated as they are in the 7th place to win the cup and i think the odds are right. Underated: Holland as they are my favorites to win it all, maybe fighting whit spain
    Why would you need to go on? We are talking about this WorldCup. You can go on and see italy won last cup, i bet you hollad will do better than italy and that France that won in 98. Then if you think they are overrated you will bet almost every game against them cuz the odds wont be right
    Yes based on odds they are 5th favorites to hoist the trophy. So what result will be a dissapointment for them?
    As they are in semifinals they get at least the 4th place, they where #5 on the pinnacle list to win it all, so at least they are not overrated

First 123