mihaita666
    mihaita666's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 502

World Cup question

Do you thinki we'll have a World Cup winner outside Europe and South America in the next 40 years ? I doubt it to be frank, but what do you think ?

Jimmy0607
    Jimmy0607's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 285

Nooo

nulldah
    nulldah's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 312

if you say 40 years, i will like to think 50-50 chance. most likely it will come from africa because i think they are the next place after south america that europe scouts visit and this is the solid proof how improved they become. but the only possible way and first step for any country to achieve that is to become the host first.

mlb
    mlb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12779

thats a long time .. The soccer landscape would have to shift.. but its possible

phenomenon
    phenomenon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 958

with this dicipline, I don t give them chance to win it...
    look,try to remember asian s national cup,African s national cup, most goals scored after 75 mins... their motivation span is really low,they do not like working,training...I talk about general,there is specific player who is really successful. Other perspective is economy, in the world cup,one national team can refuse not to play match in world cup coz of money they will paid by government...it is an African team...I want to see but it seems I won t see ,may be see from heaven

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

40 years seems a long time, but it's only ten world cups. So... maybe.

I've been reading Soccernomics, and it goes into the question what countries are the future top teams. It won't be an African team. Not enough money in Africa. And not enough population and infrastructure. The two countries most likely to join the top nations are ....

Turkey and Iraq.

ClydeFontaine
    ClydeFontaine's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yes. A country like Japan or China has the resources and population base to seriously threaten at some point.

Slainte
    Slainte's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

Japan and South Korea, from Africa only South Africa cause it's much better economic-wise than most of the others. USA has great chances to be the first non-euro, non-sa winner.

aceking
    aceking's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

in 20 years .

mihaita666
    mihaita666's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 502

Thanks for sharing your thoughts pals. USA would be my dark horse in this mega future bet, also. Let's hope we will live to see that happening

onizuka
    onizuka's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2533

I think it's possible. If we see how South Korea did in 2002, I think we can see again in next 40 years

minet123
    Is JJ a Higher Power ?
    minet123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3753

i can see it USA,China,Turkey making a serious run

suckerforparlays
    Protein Shakes
    suckerforparlays's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 388

USA and South Korea would be Legit Ghana would have a possible chance in the long future also

Giuvara
    Giuvara's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3033

Besides the countries already mentioned here I would like to add Central America's Mexico. Some great players have been born in that country and a good generation could easily bring them an World Cup. At the moment I think they are the strongest footballing culture outside South America or Europe. As a more Fantasy bet I would take Australia. They love football Down Under , they moved the nation in Asian competitions for better football challenge, they are pretty good economically and Aussie players can get forged in English competitions.
    Points Awarded:

Socrates gave Giuvara 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

nulldah

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
    40 years seems a long time, but it's only ten world cups. So... maybe.

I've been reading Soccernomics, and it goes into the question what countries are the future top teams. It won't be an African team. Not enough money in Africa. And not enough population and infrastructure. The two countries most likely to join the top nations are ....

Turkey and Iraq.
    interesting countries, but i still think the africans. main reason is because of economics. the environment in most countries are pretty much at low with young kids playing street soccer and dream to earn big money. with drogba, adebayor, toure n the list goes on earn unimaginable salaries that can even finance one country there, that's hell of motivation. not to mention those africans immigrants residing in europe.

while asian countries like japan, korea, china, they have enough resource, yes. but they tend to fail because of afraid go to europe due to various reasons, like homesick, afraid of failure and dropped out of national team, culture. and ironically, they attracted old players from europe hoping the players can learn something from them. but at the end, by not going abroad and accept the challenge, it still a big failure. simple example, at world cup 2002, we saw how south korea n japan can do. yes, they have strong motivation, but it's pretty clear their players can match up with europe n south americans if they want. and the only way to maintain it, is by playing at the same league with these players where you face them week in n week out.

nulldah

to put it simple statement imo, players in africa play for their national team mainly because of money, while asian players play for national team mainly because it's prestigious to represent their countries.

suckerforparlays
    Protein Shakes
    suckerforparlays's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 388

Quote Originally Posted by nulldah View Post
    to put it simple statement imo, players in africa play for their national team mainly because of money, while asian players play for national team mainly because it's prestigious to represent their countries.
    ill agree with that

noober
    noober's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5901

Apparently, there is some book called Soccernomics in which the author argues that in 20 years China, Iran and India will dominate world soccer. I personally doubt it.
    Last edited by noober; 05-20-10 at 11:29 PM.

Socrates
    Socrates's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 113

Quote Originally Posted by Giuvara View Post
    Besides the countries already mentioned here I would like to add Central America's Mexico.
    Fyi, Mexico is technically part of North America.

If Mexico pulls the trigger and joins Conmebol, like a lot of Mexicans wish, along with hosting a world cup in say the next 3 or 4 cups, I wouldn't be shocked.

I like the Aussie pick as well, they could become serious contenders if they put their minds to it. They definitely have the proper resources to make some deep runs.

Quote Originally Posted by noober View Post
    Apparently, there is some book called Soccernomics in which the author argues that in 20 years China, Iran and India will dominate world soccer. I personally doubt it.
    Highly unlikely. It takes more then a strong economy and a large population to create a soccer power.

Giuvara
    Giuvara's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3033

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    Fyi, Mexico is technically part of North America.
    I am sorry, Socrates, I definitely was wrong. Mexico is a part of North America and I usually don't make mistakes like that, especially when one of my favorite toys as a kid was a World atlas. It's been a while though since I've opened it and at the time of my shameful post I was in doubt of Mexico's continental association. A simple Google search could of saved me of an awkward moment.

It would be a great idea for your federation to become a Conmebol affiliate and they shouldn't be afraid of progress. Mexico would still qualify easily for the World Cups and the players would gain tremendous experience from playing Brazil or Argentina instead of El Salvador and Trinidad and Tobago. This would certainly benefit their growth. It would also be an excellent opportunity to see more often a spine-shivering packed Azteca Stadium.

I would love to see another World Cup in Mexico. My national team played some good football in 1970 and the matches against Brazil, Czechoslovakia and England or the atmosphere in Guadalajara are still remembered today, despite of us not making it through from the group.

Masu485
    Masu485's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12813

i dont think the next 10 winners will be from these continents. there are up and comers everywhere. asia and africa are so close to being contenders. they are just missing small elements which can be improved upon.

Tommy_de1st
    Damn, she's hot
    Tommy_de1st's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7897

Quote Originally Posted by minet123 View Post
    i can see it USA,China,Turkey making a serious run
    China?

No way, their legs are too short

Squirrel
    Nutty Punter
    Squirrel's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 223

No, IMO, unless something freaky happens when the cup is hosted in some whacked-up African country. European and South American football are just too strong financially across the board compared to the levels of investment you get at any level in Africa/Australia/Stateside - it's always been that way and it will always be that way.

The problem I see is you go to places in Africa and Asia and the general public is more interested in watching the English Premier League than actually playing the game in their own country, so at a grass-roots level where football is most important there is no real system in place to consistently produce enough players of the calibre to win the world cup.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by noober View Post
    I read most of that book, and don't recall India or China. The book mentioned Iran and Turkey as likely future additions to the highest stage.

Personally, I don't think much will change. It is extremely difficult to not only change a country's infrastructure, but also catch up with existing infrastructures. The top countries in the world today were the top countries in the world forty years ago.

Socrates
    Socrates's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 113

Quote Originally Posted by Giuvara View Post
    I am sorry, Socrates, I definitely was wrong. Mexico is a part of North America and I usually don't make mistakes like that, especially when one of my favorite toys as a kid was a World atlas. It's been a while though since I've opened it and at the time of my shameful post I was in doubt of Mexico's continental association. A simple Google search could of saved me of an awkward moment. It would be a great idea for your federation to become a Conmebol affiliate and they shouldn't be afraid of progress. Mexico would still qualify easily for the World Cups and the players would gain tremendous experience from playing Brazil or Argentina instead of El Salvador and Trinidad and Tobago. This would certainly benefit their growth. It would also be an excellent opportunity to see more often a spine-shivering packed Azteca Stadium. I would love to see another World Cup in Mexico. My national team played some good football in 1970 and the matches against Brazil, Czechoslovakia and England or the atmosphere in Guadalajara are still remembered today, despite of us not making it through from the group.
    No problem Giuvara. It's a fact that gets by a lot of people, even those that know their geography and just simply have rusty moments.

In places like England, Mexico is widely viewed as a Central American country.

If you don't mind me asking, which is your national team?
    Last edited by Socrates; 05-21-10 at 12:14 PM.