Smogs
    Smogs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 499

Is it just me or is Frank Ribery overrated?

He did not impress me at all in the first leg and again he did very little in the 2nd leg against United that shows his 'world class' quality.

From a WC point of view i would be far more worried of Malouda on the left than Ribery for France.

JOHON8
    gambling fallacy
    JOHON8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 338

He did a better job than Robben in that game. Robben got a beauty goal, but Ribery was abusing the United defense, his run also caused Rafael to get a red card, which basically changed the whole game. He also had a really good shot on goal which was matched by a great save. His problem is that he tries a little too much, I remember in that game he nicked the ball pass through 1 United defender then tried it again only to loose the ball...

You're right on Malouda, he has been a much more dangerous player for France and will be even more after having the season of his life for Chelsea.

Shark79
    Hala Madrid !!
    Shark79's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 546

To me, its just you.

Sforz
    SBR CHAT KING!
    Sforz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by JOHON8 View Post
    He did a better job than Robben in that game. Robben got a beauty goal, but Ribery was abusing the United defense, his run also caused Rafael to get a red card, which basically changed the whole game. He also had a really good shot on goal which was matched by a great save. His problem is that he tries a little too much, I remember in that game he nicked the ball pass through 1 United defender then tried it again only to loose the ball... You're right on Malouda, he has been a much more dangerous player for France and will be even more after having the season of his life for Chelsea.

pretty much said everything i was thinking.....

Honestly, he drove me nuts in the last world cup.. stupid red shoes (Italian supporter here)...

Always feel like he is on the verge of something, but like johon said, sometimes he tried too hard... but sometimes that last move he makes turns into brilliance.. see vid:

Smogs

I'll hold judgement until i watch the Lyon/Munich game

Wilforth
    Update your status
    Wilforth's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Smogs View Post
    I'll hold judgement until i watch the Lyon/Munich game
    Good.

RedDevil11
    RedDevil11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

Overrated....glad we didn't spend £40M on this guy. Our 'inexperienced' 19-year old outplayed him and he needed to cry at the referee to have him sent off. Hope he rots on Madrid's bench or wherever he ends up being grossly overpaid.
    Last edited by RedDevil11; 04-07-10 at 10:34 PM.

ZXCVBNM
    Crew/Fire over 2.5
    ZXCVBNM's Avatar Become A Pro!

no offense but it is the ignorant english point of view, simple as that.

RedDevil11

No, it's a footballing point of view. I actually thought he was a good footballer and wanted him to come to United, but after watching him over both legs (and a few times I could catch a Bayern match this year) he didn't overly impress me enough to want him at United. Not saying he's a bad player and sure he could help other clubs, but we already have two decent wingers...and was just disappointed in his attitude and lack of sportsmanship today.

Jimmy0607
    Jimmy0607's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 285

Hes not that great

RedDevil11

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy0607 View Post
    Hes not that great
    Certainly not worth the £60M (original pricetag) or even £40M that Van Gaal had rated him.

tailmypicks
    tailmypicks's Avatar Become A Pro!

He has been injured a lot this season so probably not in peak form
    wont pick him over malouda

xGrr
    xGrr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 95

right now i believe malouda is better

AsRequested
    AsRequested's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 132

He was only a couple of times in the starting 11, like 3 or 4 times. In general a lot of the defenses have adjusted and they started defending better against him, but nonetheless he is awesome and still very young.

Yabatumba
    Yabatumba's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 66

Of course he's all hype, he keep running around the pitch as if he's suffering from some sort of dementia with zero end product.

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

Ribery's best quality I think is his ability to keep the maintain possession even when he's being swarmed by other guys. Essentially, he's a great ball handler in traffic, right up there with messi. He's just not a scorer, but a great playmaker. Top 25 in the world, but could be overrated depending on how high you put him up on that list...

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7684

He was great in the world cup in Germany. The problem is most want to compare him with the likes of Ronaldo and Messi meanwhile the guy plays with nowhere near the quality of players around him. Is he overrated? No. Is he is as good as the media makes him out to be? NO. Is he a world class talent? Yes. Dont forget he got Rafael sent off = thus leading HIS team to the next round

Kemalettin
    Kemalettin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 78

yes overrated !

Smogs

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    Is he a world class talent? Yes. Dont forget he got Rafael sent off = thus leading HIS team to the next round
    I hope you are not linking being a cheating tw*t to him being world class? In Europe we have had this behaviour for nearly 2 decades and all true football fans are sick of it.

That would mean Cristian Benitez at Birmingham is world class since he likes a good dive.....and he ain't.

I'll agree he is a top 50 player but think there's too much hype, and getting Rafael sent off is a big negative

jayc88
    Update your status
    jayc88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1151

he had a average season so far but he also had to struggle with a lot of injuries this year.
    He is one of the best if he is playing up to his potential but unfortunately he hasnt done that lately.

swiss88
    swiss88's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by RedDevil11 View Post
    Overrated....glad we didn't spend £40M on this guy. Our 'inexperienced' 19-year old outplayed him and he needed to cry at the referee to have him sent off. Hope he rots on Madrid's bench or wherever he ends up being grossly overpaid.
    Bitter after the defeat huh ?
    You can call almost every player overpaid if you're looking at their transfer amount...
    Rafael constantly needed to foul Ribery to keep up and that's what sent him off, that's what you call outplaying him? That was clearly a 2nd yellow card and the referee being so permissive in the game that's why a few Bayern players pressured him to book Rafael.
    I think that's being a bad loser to blame the others (like coach Ferguson) for their elimination...
    But hey you need to see the bright side, your team will be able to focus on winning the league now

RedDevil11

Quote Originally Posted by swiss88 View Post
    Bitter after the defeat huh ?
    You can call almost every player overpaid if you're looking at their transfer amount...
    Rafael constantly needed to foul Ribery to keep up and that's what sent him off, that's what you call outplaying him? That was clearly a 2nd yellow card and the referee being so permissive in the game that's why a few Bayern players pressured him to book Rafael.
    I think that's being a bad loser to blame the others (like coach Ferguson) for their elimination...
    But hey you need to see the bright side, your team will be able to focus on winning the league now
    Ofcourse..lol. that one hurt.

About the transfer fees...probably should have said 'over-valued' rather than 'over-paid'. My point was that Van Gaal was at one point saying he was worth more than Ronaldo and Kaka which to me was a stretch.

As for Rafael, he was arguably one of the better players the first half...he looked like Usain Bolt compared to Gary Neville...that was the difference this time as he was able to make runs down the wing which opened things up for Valencia and Gibson in the middle. Yes, it was a foul, but a yellow? Saw much worse...you can't deny that Ribery's actions running to the ref played some part in it. It's not football, yet it's football if you know what I mean.
    Yes, SAF has lost the plot...got to admit time for him to retire....disappointed in his post-match comments and not really surprised. The good thing that came out of the game is that I think they proved that we are more than just the 'one man team' that everyone seems to think we are. Oh well, time to move on.

Sforz
    SBR CHAT KING!
    Sforz's Avatar Become A Pro!

he is fast to chew out a teammate on the pitch, that works in some clubs, and not in others...

Can't tell if he is a fiery competitor or an asshole

swiss88
    swiss88's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by RedDevil11 View Post

Ofcourse..lol. that one hurt.

About the transfer fees...probably should have said 'over-valued' rather than 'over-paid'. My point was that Van Gaal was at one point saying he was worth more than Ronaldo and Kaka which to me was a stretch.

As for Rafael, he was arguably one of the better players the first half...he looked like Usain Bolt compared to Gary Neville...that was the difference this time as he was able to make runs down the wing which opened things up for Valencia and Gibson in the middle. Yes, it was a foul, but a yellow? Saw much worse...you can't deny that Ribery's actions running to the ref played some part in it. It's not football, yet it's football if you know what I mean.
    Yes, SAF has lost the plot...got to admit time for him to retire....disappointed in his post-match comments and not really surprised. The good thing that came out of the game is that I think they proved that we are more than just the 'one man team' that everyone seems to think we are. Oh well, time to move on.
    I agree with you that Ribery was way over-valued in the summer transfer window last year, but I think Bayern just said this (that he was worth more than Ronaldo and Kaka) to make Ribery stay because it was too much money for the others to pay. Or if Real Madrid was stupid enough to pay Bayern would have gladly take it. But in the end I think they were happy that Ribery stayed because as we saw in these 2 games vs Man Utd they can finally contend in the Champions League with world class players such as Ribery and Robben, without forgetting Schweinsteiger and van Bommel in their midfield. It must be said that with Robben arrival last year, Ribery lost a bit of importance in their attacking options, or maybe now the creativity on offense is shared with Robben.

As for the game yesterday, you're right, Rafael played an excellent 1st half but really it was not that difficult given how Ribery played this 1st half, not able to do anything on offense and not coming back to help his team in defence that's why Rafael was able to make runs as you said. I was disappointed by Ribery's contribution in this 1st half. All that changed in the 2nd half, where he seemed much more motivated and Rafael started to have problems containing him. I also agree with you, it wasn't a nasty foul on the 2nd yellow, but in my opinion this kind of foul where the defender really doesn't try to play the ball to prevent a dangerous action from the other team should be a yellow, plus Ribery had the ball inside the Man Utd half, Rafael should have known better even if he's young.

I know Man Utd is not a one-man-team, but Ferguson starting Rooney proves he doesn't fully trust the other players at his disposal like Berbatov or Macheda. And yesterday I really think your team got tired from the time Rooney started to hobble on the pitch at the end of the 1st Half, even though he is a special player he can't do much when he is injured. I thought Rooney would then be replaced much sooner as I think Man Utd let a lot of energy with Rooney walking on the pitch for a long time.

Good luck the rest of the season!
    Points Awarded:

Sforz gave swiss88 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

RedDevil11

Quote Originally Posted by swiss88 View Post
    I agree with you that Ribery was way over-valued in the summer transfer window last year, but I think Bayern just said this (that he was worth more than Ronaldo and Kaka) to make Ribery stay because it was too much money for the others to pay. Or if Real Madrid was stupid enough to pay Bayern would have gladly take it. But in the end I think they were happy that Ribery stayed because as we saw in these 2 games vs Man Utd they can finally contend in the Champions League with world class players such as Ribery and Robben, without forgetting Schweinsteiger and van Bommel in their midfield. It must be said that with Robben arrival last year, Ribery lost a bit of importance in their attacking options, or maybe now the creativity on offense is shared with Robben.

As for the game yesterday, you're right, Rafael played an excellent 1st half but really it was not that difficult given how Ribery played this 1st half, not able to do anything on offense and not coming back to help his team in defence that's why Rafael was able to make runs as you said. I was disappointed by Ribery's contribution in this 1st half. All that changed in the 2nd half, where he seemed much more motivated and Rafael started to have problems containing him. I also agree with you, it wasn't a nasty foul on the 2nd yellow, but in my opinion this kind of foul where the defender really doesn't try to play the ball to prevent a dangerous action from the other team should be a yellow, plus Ribery had the ball inside the Man Utd half, Rafael should have known better even if he's young.

I know Man Utd is not a one-man-team, but Ferguson starting Rooney proves he doesn't fully trust the other players at his disposal like Berbatov or Macheda. And yesterday I really think your team got tired from the time Rooney started to hobble on the pitch at the end of the 1st Half, even though he is a special player he can't do much when he is injured. I thought Rooney would then be replaced much sooner as I think Man Utd let a lot of energy with Rooney walking on the pitch for a long time.

Good luck the rest of the season!
    Cheers mate! good intelligent discussion always appreciated...and agree with you that SAF's mistake was not pulling Rooney out quicker, but hindsight is 20/20.

Shark79
    Hala Madrid !!
    Shark79's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 546

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    He was great in the world cup in Germany. The problem is most want to compare him with the likes of Ronaldo and Messi meanwhile the guy plays with nowhere near the quality of players around him. Is he overrated? No. Is he is as good as the media makes him out to be? NO. Is he a world class talent? Yes. Dont forget he got Rafael sent off = thus leading HIS team to the next round