JRLM8
    JRLM8's Avatar Become A Pro!

2010 MLS Thread

MLS Starts tomorrow (Thursday) and since we do have some Americans and Canadians on this board, I thought it would be good to have an MLS thread for the season.

Opening weekend fixtures:
    MLS lists the away team first. Don't ask me why!
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 Philadelphia Union Seattle Sounders FC 9:30 p.m.

Friday, March 26, 2010 Colorado Rapids Chivas USA 10:30 p.m.

Saturday, March 27, 2010 Toronto FC Columbus Crew 4:00 p.m.

Houston Dynamo FC Dallas 4:00 p.m.

Chicago Fire New York Red Bulls 7:00 p.m.

D.C. United Kansas City Wizards 8:30 p.m.

Real Salt Lake San Jose Earthquakes 9:00 p.m.

New England Revolution LA Galaxy 11:00 p.m.

Thursday: Seattle Sounders vs Philly Union
    Thursday, March 25. 9:30 PM (ET) on ESPN2 in America
    This is the Union's first MLS game. There are only two MLS teams to win their expansion debuts (Seattle and Chicago). Seattle is the toughest place in the league to play. It is a sell out so over 35,000 fans will be at Qwest Field (that is alot for MLS). Also, Qwest has field turf which usually takes teams a while to get used to. Philly spent their pre-season playing on grass in Florida. Philly lost their final tune up game to second division Tampa Bay Rowdies.

While Philly did invest some of their money into defense, they still have a relatively untested keeper in the nets, Chris Seitz. But their backline is no spring chicken with Danny Califf (nicknamed the Orange Cone) anchoring the back four. Union's attack is led my MLS veteran Alejandro Moreno. Moreno is the type of player that gets under your skin and has a knack to score ugly goals. He will partner up top with rookie Danny Mwanga. Mwanga is only 18, but a very promising prospect that had a trial with a Ligue 1 side last December. Union's dangerous midfielders are America de Cali loan Roger Torres and Shea Salinas.

Seattle is led by former U.S. international keeper Kasey Keller. One of the best defenses in the league is anchored by Jamaican international Tyrone Marshall and Colombian John Kennedy Hurtado. Regular right back James Riley will miss this game due to a red card picked up during the playoffs last season. In the midfield, Seattle has Swedish maestro and former Arsenal man Freddie Ljungberg. Up top, Seattle is led by young Colombian Fredy Montero. His normal partner, Nate Jaqua is questionable for the match. Edit: Jaqua is out.

While Seattle has struggled to find the back of the net during the pre-season, 0 goals in their last two games. It is hard to imagine they won't be fired up for the national television audience and full house crowd.

Recommended bet: Seattle -1 (+100)
    Predicted score: 3-0 Seattle (Montero, Ljungberg, Zakuani)

I will give my thoughts on the other games later.
    Last edited by JRLM8; 03-24-10 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Add injury info.

Karayilan9
    FENER / TRABZON
    Karayilan9's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 105

MLS was great from a betting perspective last season, Seattle should take this one at home but may be a bit rusty, first games can spring surprises on the best of teams.

ZXCVBNM
    Crew/Fire over 2.5
    ZXCVBNM's Avatar Become A Pro!

MLS is so crazy I love it.

First few weeks are almost all draws, then the radical Sounders UNDER streak, then the equally radical FC Dallas over streak. More under the radar were: Revs UNDER away, Salt Lake being money at home.

Everyone playing at home against Red Bulls only -120s, and NY went like 0-1-14 away last season.

JRLM8

Quote Originally Posted by ZXCVBNM View Post
    Everyone playing at home against Red Bulls only -120s, and NY went like 0-1-14 away last season.
    Haha. Yes, NY was terrible last year, but they over hauled the front office and should be better this year. They looked great against Santos' B team on Friday in their new stadium.

And I do think there is good value in NY against Chicago on Saturday with Chicago having a new coach and cutting their starting keeper yesterday. But we will get to that game later.

waco66
    Canucks -1.5
    waco66's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

Seattle is pick tomorrow aswell! I will be at that game..should be good.

minet123
    Is JJ a Higher Power ?
    minet123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3753

Yes the Union will lose by at least three

Slainte
    Slainte's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

I've made just a few bets in the MLS, seems very hard to predict ...

Masu485
    Masu485's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12813

it will be a draw

pdx107
    pdx107's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1816

seattle easy

bostonbruins
    bostonbruins's Avatar Become A Pro!

Damn, Seattle -1 first game of the season? I guess no one remembers last seasons opener...seems like everyone will automatically count Philly out because they are new.

JRLM8

Quote Originally Posted by bostonbruins View Post
    Damn, Seattle -1 first game of the season? I guess no one remembers last seasons opener...seems like everyone will automatically count Philly out because they are new.
    Different situation. Philadelphia is brand new so this is the first MLS game these guys have played together. Seattle was able to carry over six players from the USL team up to MLS, so there was some cohesion among the team. Also, Seattle had Keller in net for that game. Philly is going to be starting a rookie keeper whether it is Seitz or Knighton.

Plus, there is a huge home field advantage for Seattle. If the game were in Philly, I would be more hesitant.

Ricardo Salazar is the referee for tonight. He officiated four sounders games last year. Sounders won 2, drew 2.

Pre-game comments from the coaches (Schmid=Seattle):

1. Schmid: "I think they’re going 2 counter and be somewhat conserv. with their play. I think they’re going 2 attack from a def. posture." about 9 hours ago via web

2. Sigi Schmid: "We’re going into the first game guessing. What kind of formation are they going to play? Who are they going to play where?" about 9 hours ago via web

3. Nowak: "If the game is not perfect...then the players need to know that fighting, running, scratching…this is part of the game as well." about 10 hours ago via web

4. More Nowak: "The world will not end tomorrow if we lose the game. We have to continue to believe [in] what we’re doing." about 10 hours ago via web

5. Nowak: "I realize at some point that even Tiger Woods is not playing a perfect game" Alejandro Moreno: "...on and off the course." about 10 hours ago via web

6. Highlights from today's Philly presser in Seattle: Peter Nowak: "For many, many years I have big problem with the game not being perfect."

Terrapin Station
    Terrapin Station's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 96

Looking forward to the season starting. Before last year, I'd never been a big soccer fan, but I really got into MLS. Should be a good season.

JRLM8

2 Hours till kick off.

Also, heads up for the weekend. Shalrie Joseph is out against LA due to a hip flexor. New England will also be without Taylor Twellman this weekend. New England hasn't won in LA in over 5 years, and you can still get LA at better than even money right now.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/content/rev...injured-opener

JRLM8

1. Starting XI: Keller, Scott, Marshall, Hurtado, Gonzalez, Leveseque, Evans, Alonso, Zakuani, Ljungberg, Montero

2. Union line-up: Seitz, Harvey, Califf (C), Stahl, Myrie, Jacobson, Mwanga, Torres, Orozco, Sebastien Le Toux, Moreno
    Last edited by JRLM8; 03-25-10 at 08:26 PM.

JRLM8

Quote Originally Posted by JRLM8 View Post
    Missed it by a goal. Final score: Seattle 2-0 Philly.

I will add my thoughts on the Saturday games tomorrow.

bostonbruins

Quote Originally Posted by JRLM8 View Post

I will give my thoughts on the other games later.

After watching that game, Philly is set up to fail,they are easy points on anyone's schedule, thrown to the wolves as they say...

also on CHI Saturday..

JRLM8

also on CHI Saturday..
    Really? Any reason why you are on Chicago? I thought NY looked great against Santos last week. And Chicago starting a rookie keeper has me looking the other way.

Masu485

After watching that game, Philly is set up to fail,they are easy points on anyone's schedule, thrown to the wolves as they say...

also on CHI Saturday..
    damn... i was hoping it wouldn't be like that. wish i watched the game myself.

RockyS
    penetrate it =)
    RockyS's Avatar Become A Pro!

Guys what do you think about LA tonight?

JRLM8

No play on tonight's game for me.
    Chivas USA's new coach, and Colorado's terrible road woes are keeping me away. It will be interesting to watch from the casual perspective and get a better idea of these teams for next week.

Saturday:
    New England Revolution at Los Angeles Galaxy.
    Landon Donovan returns to MLS after his successful stint with Everton in England. He will lead the Galaxy attack against a relatively young Revolution side.

Revolution lost Jay Heaps during the off-season. Traded Jeff Larentkowicz and Chris Albright. Shalrie Joseph, Matt Reis, and Taylor Twellman all didn't even bother to travel to LA due to injuries. (Joseph is the major absence, he is the heart of the team and runs the show from the center of the park.) This all means lots of inexperienced faces on the field tomorrow.

Los Angeles should win comfortably here. New England's only weapon is Nyassi on the wings. He has blistering speed but LA can contain him with De La Garza or Franklin. Donovan should be able to get behind NE's back four with ease.

Recommended Bet: LA Galaxy ML
    Bookmaker and Wagerchief have it at +105, it is +110 at Bodog. It will keep going down as more people realize Joseph is out for New England.
    Predicted result: 2-0 Galaxy (Donovan x2)

Leans: Chicago/NY over 2.5
    Dallas ML

Karayilan9
    FENER / TRABZON

I like Colorado not to lose this game, their striker Casey is going to cause alot of defenses problems this season and if he wants to make the national team he will put in alot of effort into these early games. Colorado owner part owns Arsenal, this is a team going places, they bought in an up and coming English manager and will play an English style. Casey fits in very well with such a team, set pieces, corners, long balls and crosses will be taken seriously and practiced on alot and this could be very effective in the MLS this season.

I'll try Colorado +0.5 for small stakes.

maor
    maor's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 518

Quote Originally Posted by Karayilan9 View Post
    I like Colorado not to lose this game, their striker Casey is going to cause alot of defenses problems this season and if he wants to make the national team he will put in alot of effort into these early games. Colorado owner part owns Arsenal, this is a team going places, they bought in an up and coming English manager and will play an English style. Casey fits in very well with such a team, set pieces, corners, long balls and crosses will be taken seriously and practiced on alot and this could be very effective in the MLS this season.

over??

JRLM8

BOL

Here is Colorado's Starting XI: Pickens, Kimura, Wynne, Moor, Earls, Ballouchy, Pablo, Larentowicz, Clark, Casey, Omar.

MLS' new website sucks. Still looking for Chivas' lineup.

hedgejob
    hedgejob's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5164

Late money on the over.

JRLM8

Chivas XI: Dan Kennedy| Mariano Trujillo Ante Jazic Jonathan Bornstein Michael Umana| Sacha Kljestan Marcelo Saragosa, Michael Lahoud, Jorge Flores| Maykel Galindo, Osael Romero

Masu485

anything for tomorrow? may play san jo at home and still looking into the ny/chi game. NY will be much better than last year, may be a no play until i see them in action.

JRLM8

Quote Originally Posted by Masu485 View Post
    anything for tomorrow? may play san jo at home and still looking into the ny/chi game. NY will be much better than last year, may be a no play until i see them in action.
    I like Galaxy the best. Write up is a few posts above. I am really tempted to play NY, but I may wait closer to game time.

0-0 at half in the Colorado-Chivas USA game. It has been fairly lackluster.

rfr3sh
    Blind Knucklehead
    rfr3sh's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 604

Landon Donovan anytime goal scorer +125?

bostonbruins

Looking for a late one for Chivas to get this draw...

Karayilan9
    FENER / TRABZON

They play traditional English style like I suspected, most the players are huge, this is like the Stoke of the MLS lots of physical strength in their game, closing down, fouling, playing rough, they defend well, break fast, and will improve their set pieces through the season, this is a team to watch.

JRLM8

Quote Originally Posted by rfr3sh View Post
    Landon Donovan anytime goal scorer +125?
    Love that. Where are you getting it?

Chivas were awful tonight.

Salmon Steak
    Salmon Steak's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 613

I'm all over this... Soccer chicks are hot! I'm gunna focus on KC wizard games. best of luck... lets kill those books!

Salmon Steak
    Salmon Steak's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 613

Tomorrow, I really don't know who wins. DC united @ KC wizrds: Wizards at home but without any games played i can't make a call. GL

JRLM8

Quote Originally Posted by Salmon Steak View Post
    Tomorrow, I really don't know who wins. DC united @ KC wizrds: Wizards at home but without any games played i can't make a call. GL
    I would stay away from the game. KC's old coach (they just fired last year) is now in charge of DC so he has revenge on his mind. Plus he knows how to win on that incredibly small field KC play on.

On top of that, KC switched captains yesterday and there seems to be some locker room drama behind it.

While D.C. would seem like the play, their old captain and leader of the team retired in the off-season so who knows if they have the heart to win on the road in this league. They have been EXCELLENT in the pre-season going 6-0-0. But they could be starting a 17 year old right back tomorrow.

minet123
    Is JJ a Higher Power ?
    minet123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3753

Galaxy looking good for tomorrow any thoughts on a Toronto upset

123 Last