DiamondJack
    DiamondJack's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7941

World Cup Preview & Picks

Greetings all. Now that the squads have been announced. I will use this thread to post my World Cup bets throughout the tournament.

Group A

Russia-- I don't see much hope for the home side. They struggled at the Euros not winning a game and since than having played only friendlies of which they won only 4 of them. Lucky to be drawn with 2 other mediocre sides to battle for 2nd.

Uruguay-- Solid at the back with Gimenez & Godin and Solid up top with Suarez & Cavani. Most likely this will be the last WC for the manager Oscar Tabarez who has been with the team since what seems like forever (2006). My choice to take top spot in this group with Ease.

Egypt--- It all depends on the injured Salah to carry The Egyptians. They have a very defensive style and should egde out Russia for 2nd. Elneny will be key as opposing sides will most likely double up on Salah.

Saudi Arabia---It is hard to back a side that Sacked the manager that qualified them & replaced him with a guy that was fired By Argentina & than fired him after 5 games & replaced him with a guy that was fired By Chile. 99% of this squad play in Saudi Arabia & those that were sent out on loan to Spain were judged to have been too poor to stay. 4th place for the Saudis

DiamondJack

1. Uruguay to win Group A @ 1.91/-110 (1 Unit)

DiamondJack

Group B

Portugal--- How does a team that draws all their 3 group games & wins 1 game in regulation time win the Euros? I think they will struggle in this group versus the very defensive sides Iran & Morocco & the obvious favorites Spain. Ronaldo is 33 and this just might be the beginning of a little dark age for Portugal.

Spain--- My pick to top the group a solid team as always top 4 for sure but not my pick to win it all. They had back to back disappointments at the last Euros & the Last WC. I don't see it being 3 in a row. They will destroy whoever they face in the Rd of16 and then its only a few games to the final.

Morocco--- Great defence, very underrated by the books. Solid players like Benatia, Saiss & Ziyech. A good manager Herve Renard who led the Ivory Coast & Zambia to the African Cup of Nations Champions. My dog pick here to finish behind Spain

Iran--- IMO the Asian Confederation this World cup cycle has produced the weakest qualified sides in over a decade. You can't 0-0 yourself out of this group. Some decent players like Azmoun & Jahanbakhsh but my pick to finish bottom

DiamondJack

2. Morocco to Qualify @ 4.50/+350 (1 Unit)

DiamondJack

Group C

France--- Hard to tell which France team will show up in Russia. The one that draws Luxemburg & loses to Belorus or the one that dispatched Italy easily just last week. If they have the heart than easily one of the favs to win it all.or they They are loaded with talent at every position. I feel they will have a decent run & top this group.

Denmark--- Coached by the pragmatic Norwegian manager Age Hareide who failed to Qualify his home nation between 2004-08.Led by the Spurs Eriksen & Kjaer from Sevilla at the back. They are a decent side but I think they do not match up very well with teams in this group I'll give them 3 points and 3rd place.

Australia--- Most likely the poorest side from Australia in recent memory. Mooy & Leckie are decent Cahill is too old. What troubles me is the manager that got them to the WC quit and was replaced by the fired Saudi cast off Bertvan Marwijk who is already being replaced after the tournament. It looks like 4th place for the Aussies.

Peru--- Now that Paolo Guerrero is back in the squad they are my pick to qualify behind France in this group. Carillo & Farfan also can't be ignored. Peru qualified with some great results in the tough South American Group they have more speed and firepower than the Danes & Aussies

DiamondJack

3. Peru to Qualify @ 3.00/+200 (2 Units)

DiamondJack

Group D

Argentina---Why does the AFA hire managers that have been sacked by their club teams?. Jorge Sampaoli is the 3rd coach in less that a year. He did lead Chile to the 2015 Copa America win but he is known for setting up sides in unothodox fluid formations. Will his players trust him? I think Argentina finishes 2nd here perhaps even 3rd and crashes out in the WC early.

Iceland--- They did top their group that Included their group mates Croatia. Solid Gylfi Sigursson but a bunch of Championship players won't be able to recreate what they did in the Euros will be fighting for bottom with Nigeria.

Croatia---Despite having a great crop of players Modric, Rakitic Perisic etc. and ones that have since retired Croatia has not got out of their group since 1998 when they went on their historic run to the final 4.I think Zlatko Dalic who just took change with 1 game left in qualifying is a great fit and I fancy them to win this group.

Nigeria--- Nigeria seem to never raise their game vs small opponents they will give Argentina problems but might drop points to Iceland. The federation has changed coaches 8 times since the last WC... Mikel Moses & Musa will be key if they mount a chalenge

DiamondJack

Brazil--- Tite is restoring pride back to Brazil after that disaster vs Germany in 2014. He is calling his players daily spends 10 + hours a day on analysis and runs the BNA like a club side. They topped qualifying in South America, loaded with talent definitely the team to beat. Easily winners of this group

Switzerland--- Both Xhaka & Shaqiri will have to have great games to finish second in this group. Unlike Hitzfeld who relied on priority 1 goal prevention Petkovic provides a more pragmatic approach based on the opposition. I see the Swiss struggling and finishing 3rd.

Costa Rica--- I did not give the Ticos any love the last WC and they proved me wrong. So I'll try again. I think the ride they took in 2014 will not be repeated. Navas can't do it himself. Ruiz & Borges might struggle to score vs Serbia & the Swiss so they are my pick to finish bottom

Serbia--- Savic, Matic, Ivanovic , Kolorov...this team is Very talented and matches up nicely versus Costa Rica & The Swiss. My pick for them to qualify behind Brazil. Unfortunately for Serbia 2nd in this group is as good as being 2nd in Group A

DiamondJack

4. Serbia to Qualify @ 2.20/+120 (1 Unit)

DiamondJack

Group F

Germany--- Can the defending World Cup Champions reverse the curse of the titleholder? Is Neuer fit? There is no doubt Germany are the class of this Group & should win it easily. Semis seem like a given every world Cup but I think Germany might trip up along the way.

Mexico---Osorio is known for his detailed planning and quick attacking style and squad rotation...which makes no sense in international play. The key 3 of Herrera, Lozano & Hernandez will have to be on top of their game for Mexico to continue their Rd 16 streak. I don't see it happening I will give Mexico 3rd in the group.

Sweden--- Out from behind the shadows of Ibra this team took out Italy, had a win over France & finished ahead of the Netherlands in qualifying. Forsberg & Lindelof are great talents and I think they can finish 2nd in this group.

South Korea--- Outside of Son Heungmin from Spurs this side just lacks the quality to advance from this group. They finished 2nd to Iran in qualifying and might go with youth as they are coached by the former Under 23 coach. I feel its 4th place for the Tigers

DiamondJack

5. Sweden to Qualify @ 2.25/+125 (2 Units)

DiamondJack

Belgium---Succeeding Marc Wilmots who was a disaster Roberto Martinez was a surprise choice for the head job. He did win the FA cup with Wigan & than got ran out of town by Everton fans. Martinez is a tournament manager that can go for a deep run in the WC. I like Belgium to top the group and even go all the way. It is now or never for Belgium who are never going to have a better side than what they currently have.

England--- This team will only go as far as the Spurs duo of Alli & Kane take them. Injuries to Stones, Lallana & Oxlade-Chamberlain hurt. The quality is head and shoulders above Tunisia & Panama so England take 2nd

Panama--- The Happy to be here perhaps the 2nd worse side in the whole tournament is also the oldest and realistically has no chance out of this group. Getting a result vs Tunisia will be a major victory 3rd or 4th for the debutants.

Tunisia--- Msakni is injured which leaves Khazri as the key player for Tunisia that can make a difference. The manager used 3 different systems in their 4 final qualifiers there might be an identity struggle for the North Africans... the gap is just too big and I see them fighting with Panama for 3rd

chargers4222
    chargers4222's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8926

Nice breakdowns. Gut feeling, I think Senegal makes a run. Looking forward to your thoughts on that last group.

DiamondJack

Group H

Poland--- Lewandowski will the the centre of attention but I really like his strike partner Milik to bag a few goals in this attacking minded group.Kamil Glik of Monaco has been injured and will be a big loss at the back if he does not feature. With the other 3 sides suspect at the back I'm backing Poland to finish top as they are more lethal in attack than their group partners

Senegal--- Plenty of talent with Mane, Kaulibaly and Gueye but led by the youngest manager Alieu Cisse who was the former captain of Senegal when they made a run to the quarters in 2002. Inexperience will be the downfall of the Lions so I'm thinking 3rd spot.

Colombia--- It is rare to shine in back to back World Cups so I think too much pressure might get to James. Falcao is getting up there in age. Sanchez is a good defender. Pekerman led Argentina to the quarters in 2006 but he often makes controversial selections based on his style and changes them often even when they worked out well. I'll give Colombia 2nd and an early exit to Belgium in the Rd of 16

Japoan--- Sacked their manager only a few months ago and appointed Akira Nishino who has only had 2 games to try to implement some sort of strategy. His record with Nagoya Grampus 26-16-26 does not inspire confidence. Honda Kagawa & Okazaki are older. Their record the past year is brutal it looks like the basement for Japan

DiamondJack

Quote Originally Posted by chargers4222 View Post
    Nice breakdowns. Gut feeling, I think Senegal makes a run. Looking forward to your thoughts on that last group.
    They have talent but i don't trust the manager...not being able to beat Luxembourg even in a friendly is a major red flag. Preceded by Draws with Uzbekistan & Bosnia

DiamondJack

6. Highest Scoring Group H @ 9.00/+800 (1 Unit)

Deceptakhan
    Deceptakhan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6396

Awesome breakdown Jack, greatly appreciated! lets get it

iv been looking for the best UNDERS to play in the group stages, teams matched up with horrible offenses and decent defenses

AskJonny4Notes
    AskJonny4Notes's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 666

Great breakdown!

As a fan it's tough to accept, but Portugal is bound for a letdown after a surprising Euro win. They have looked really flat and have no attacking edge to them in recent friendlies. Ronaldo is gonna have to carry this team and I think he falls short this time. Really like the odds on Morocco to adv.

Same with Peru, they look like the real deal especially with Guerrero back. Denmark is overrated.

EasyPicks
    EasyPicks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 138

Portugal will pass the group easy and advance the R16 vs Uruguay. My guess is R8 Portugal x France....depends on how much France will be playing, my guess is that they'll beat us then.

Morocco pretty good but will be no match for us (solid defense playing style in the big tournaments under Fernando Santos)

DiamondJack

AskJonny---
    Easy--- If there is one thing about Portugal games is that NOTHING is easy & luck is always on their side
    Deceptakhan--- Unders always trend in the 1st & 2 games of the group stages & into the K/o rounds if you can pick your spots that are not so juiced up its a good strategy

DiamondJack

7. Lowest Scoring Group B @ 6.50/+550 (1 Unit)

When you have 4 teams in the top 12 defences in the World Cup all in one group I have to take a bite.

Esco
    Esco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2725

I'm picking Holland vs. Italy in the final, with Holland winning the whole thing

Big Odds
    Big Odds's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1064

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondJack View Post
    7. Lowest Scoring Group B @ 6.50/+550 (1 Unit)

When you have 4 teams in the top 12 defences in the World Cup all in one group I have to take a bite.
    Don't understand? Morocco and Iran have top defence? Do I miss something?

EasyPicks

Quote Originally Posted by Big Odds View Post
    Don't understand? Morocco and Iran have top defence? Do I miss something?
    they won't be bombarded by golas from PT or SPN and they'll probably score 0 to 1 goal total in 3 games!
    Solid Pick.

Big Odds

Quote Originally Posted by EasyPicks View Post
    they won't be bombarded by golas from PT or SPN and they'll probably score 0 to 1 goal total in 3 games!
    Solid Pick.
    Are you sure about this? If Ronaldo has a day he will do everything to score as much as he can. If Spain has a day it can also score 3 or more easily.

DiamondJack

Big Odds--- PORTUGAL GA=4 in 10 games
    SPAIN GA=3 in 10 games
    IRAN GA= 2 in 10 games
    MOROCCO GA= 0 in 6 games

Big Odds

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondJack View Post
    Big Odds--- PORTUGAL GA=4 in 10 games
    SPAIN GA=3 in 10 games
    IRAN GA= 2 in 10 games
    MOROCCO GA= 0 in 6 games
    ??? Sorry don't understand.
    Portugal 18 goals in last 10 matches, Spain 33 goals in last 10 matches.

AskJonny4Notes
    AskJonny4Notes's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 666

??? Sorry don't understand.
    Portugal 18 goals in last 10 matches, Spain 33 goals in last 10 matches.

GA = Goals Against

Big Odds

Sorry goals against who?

EasyPicks

Sorry goals against who?
    GA = goals against them (otherwise known as GOALS CONCEIVED)

Big Odds

Sorry, still don't understand. Can you post example please.

Esco

Sorry, still don't understand. Can you post example please
    How old are you?? Twelve??

Big Odds

Quote Originally Posted by Esco View Post
    How old are you?? Twelve??
    Regarding to your answer looks like you are 10...

Esco

Regarding to your answer looks like you are 10...
    I'm a 10?? Yeah, I get called handsome a lot. Thanks!!

Big Odds

Quote Originally Posted by Esco View Post
    I'm a 10?? Yeah, I get called handsome a lot. Thanks!!
    You are welcome. (10 out of 10000 yes...)

12 Last