indio
    indio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3954

Mexican title on the line in a tasty 2 legged Monterrey derby

The Mexican Apertura playoffs have reached the finals, and in what is a rare case, the top 2 teams in the table cruised through to the finals. TIGRES and MONTERREY are heated rivals who share the same city, and their fan bases are rabid loyal followers. Add to the fact that star studded TIGRES and MONTERREY are both fun to watch with goal scoring talent galore (and solid defenses) and clearly the best 2 teams in Mexico, should make this a very entertaining finals.

Leg 1 is tonight (Thursday) at the Tigres home ground at the Estadio Universitario, and you can bet it will be packed full with lots of energized Yellow and Blue clad home supporters along with some visiting Monterrey supporters from across town. Game time is 9PM est.

Leg 2 will be in Monterrey's gorgeous new Estadio Bancomer that sits 55,000. Leg 2 will be on Sunday at 7PM est.

Monterrey is a very slight favorite (6/5) to win the title, and Tigres is making finals appearances and trophies a regular occurrence with their star studded team that's pretty much stayed together for the last 3 years (a rarity in soccer).

If you like soccer, and don't get to see the Mexican League much, I highly recommend tuning into these games for some high skill levels in front of some of the most passionate fans in the world. While it's obviously not on the level of top European clubs, it's very high level, and this derby final is a bit special compared to most Mexican League finals.

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero
    cincinnatikid513's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 100

nice writeup, i'm watching the finals big fan of mexican soccer league i just hope for some goals these 2 leg series can be tight game 1

indio
    indio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3954

Never expected it to be cold enough to see players breath and hailstones on the field in a 2 hour downpour of sleet in Mexico. Monterrey is farther south then Miami for heavens sake. Hope the 2cnd leg gets better weather and a dry field.

Hugh Madbrough
    Hugh Madbrough's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 300

I didn't expect Monterrey to go this far especially when they sold arguably their best player in Cardona. Mad respect for MTY.

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Madbrough View Post
    I didn't expect Monterrey to go this far especially when they sold arguably their best player in Cardona. Mad respect for MTY.
    why wouldn't they , have been best team by far number 1 in the table with 37 points no surprise at all monterrey is in finals

Hugh Madbrough
    Hugh Madbrough's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 300

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnatikid513 View Post
    why wouldn't they , have been best team by far number 1 in the table with 37 points no surprise at all monterrey is in finals
    I meant usually in the Liga MX once teams start selling players off they tend to struggle. Monterrey was the complete opposite. God Bless Antonio Mohamed, "el turco" la leyenda. I'm a Tijuana fan, once management got rid of my compatriots and decided to go with Argetines team sucks. No racist.....slightly bias......maybe racist but Colombia does it better.

EDIT: Yes I'm aware Mohamed is Argentine. Best Manager Tijuana had.

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero

2nd leg tonight have to favor monterrey here this team is unbelievable at home

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero

wow tigres won