Conqueror
    Conqueror's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5636

Annoyed with Portugal win

I've nothing against Portugal but it's sad that a team is in the semis of a tournament without winning a game in regulation time.

Raven66
    Raven66's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 685

Port made me money today so I dont care. But if Port makes to the finals, the other bracket will have a EZ final.

SlickRick1382
    If hustlin' is a must; be Sosa, not Tony
    SlickRick1382's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11517

Quote Originally Posted by Conqueror View Post
    I've nothing against Portugal but it's sad that a team is in the semis of a tournament without winning a game in regulation time.

1. They beat Croatia 1-0 so that's wrong

2. They've also never lost. No one has beaten them yet despite the fact that they drew those games.

3. The group games that they drew were just bad luck. They out shot their opponent 50-7 in the 1st two games and they suffered two of the three goals vs Hungary that were deflections off their own guys.

That's just bad luck.

Watch the games and don't rely on ESPN reporting ...

SlickRick1382

Quote Originally Posted by Raven66 View Post
    Port made me money today so I dont care. But if Port makes to the finals, the other bracket will have a EZ final.
    Unless it's Germany who Portugal has a tough time against, it won't be an easy final for anyone. Portugal has consistently made it to the Semi's in the Euro Cup ...

Thryleon
    Thryleon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 230

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick1382 View Post
    1. They beat Croatia 1-0 so that's wrong

2. They've also never lost. No one has beaten them yet despite the fact that they drew those games.

3. The group games that they drew were just bad luck. They out shot their opponent 50-7 in the 1st two games and they suffered two of the three goals vs Hungary that were deflections off their own guys.

That's just bad luck.

Watch the games and don't rely on ESPN reporting ...
    I have watched the games and:

1) THEY DID NOT WIN ANYONE IN REGULATION. The win over Croatia was on overtime.
    2) The football they played was RIDICULOUS. They too scored out of a couple of deflections.
    3) If it was bad luck as you say that they did not win what is it that they win ONLY in overtime and penalty shoot outs?

It is quite disgusting to watch ANY team advancing in the finals without a single proper victory. It's just despicable.

SlickRick1382

Quote Originally Posted by Thryleon View Post

2) The football they played was RIDICULOUS. They too scored out of a couple of deflections.
    3) If it was bad luck as you say that they did not win what is it that they win ONLY in overtime and penalty shoot outs?

It is quite disgusting to watch ANY team advancing in the finals without a single proper victory. It's just despicable.

1. So overtime is not considered a win?

When basketball or football goes into overtime is that considered a draw? Stop it. They beat Croatia. It's not a draw. Stick to other sports you obviously don't know soccer. Winning in AET is considered a WIN not a draw. Every sport has overtime for this matter. They just don't have PK's after overtime like soccer.

2. They scored ONE (1) deflection that Renato Sanches scored today vs Poland that grazed the defender. There was no COUPLE of deflections. You're obviously full of shit.

3. They only won in overtime or penalty shoot outs because of the bad luck. Versus Austria Nani goes off the post and Ronaldo misses a penalty off the post. Otherwise it's a win. vs Hungary 2 goals were deflections. vs Poland they got robbed of a penalty when the defender bulldozed Ronaldo to the ground as well as missed opportunities by Ronoldo in front of goal. I mean Mouthinho caught him with a beautiful through ball and he was alone with the keeper and just whiffed it ...

Obviously you didn't really watch the games ...

Furthermore, (even though they did win one (Croatia)) they also haven't lost. No one has been able to beat them. That has merit.

The fact that you're able to even comment on soccer is more disgusting and despicable...

Go back in a cave, you know nothing about soccer.
    Points Awarded:

Reener77 gave SlickRick1382 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Reener77

twinky99
    twinky99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1053

AET wins arent included in Asian handicap rules. it will be considered a draw.

yogohama
    yogohama's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1370

Sounds like you lost some money on that game. I call sore loser.

ufcfan2016
    ufcfan2016's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 195

took the 0.0-0.5+

won half the bet at +105 on poland 90mins

SlickRick1382

Quote Originally Posted by twinky99 View Post
    AET wins arent included in Asian handicap rules. it will be considered a draw.
    It's a draw for gambling. But it's not a draw in the actual game of soccer.

Conqueror

Quote Originally Posted by yogohama View Post
    Sounds like you lost some money on that game. I call sore loser.
    I had no dog in the fight. Didn't see any reasonable edge to either side or total.

Thryleon

First of all you are talking to a professional goalkeeper so I know soccer much better than you. It is YOU who should shut up and dissapear.

A) NO. Overtime IS NOT A PROPER WIN. A proper win is ONLY within the 90 minutes of regulation. Overtime and penalty shoot outs were invented for those tournaments that one side must advance after a single game. If you remember there was an era where ALTERNATIVES to overtime and penalty shoot outs were considered. Fifa is still trying to find viable alternatives to overtime and penalties In basketball there is no concept of a draw. Learn the rules. Regardless of the game one side must win. Hence the overtimes. You may consider a victory in overtime as a win but this is the unethical part of soccer. Do you think that the English are idiots for repeating a game when it's a draw in 90 minutes of regulation for their FA Cup? No. It's not idiocy. It's sportsmanlike behavior. You should be able to win within 90 minutes. Everything else is just a means to an end.

B) Since you are such an asshole, hitting the goalpost is considered a shoot outside the goal. It is also considered incompetence. Missed opportunity for you and the rest of the ignorants. For the professionals off the post is failure. So are missed opportunities. Gross incompetence and failure. We are not talking about players of the crowd. We are talking about players worth millions. And they are supposed to score at such opportunities. That's why they stand out of the crowd...

C) I wonder which leg was it that deflected the ball just a little bit at Nani's shot for the 1-1 against Hungary...

Joe Sharp
    Joe Sharp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8703

I'm a professional goalkeeper.. blah blah blah. What are you doing on a gambling discussion board? You're a fool.

We are all allowed to vent on here and give our opinions.

That said... Portugal have followed all of the rules of the Tournament and have advanced. No despicable at all in my eyes.

Proper Win? Hahahahaha
    How about Survive and Advance?!?!?!?

new era
    new era's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1931

This is dumb.

The team is playing sound defense. They haven't been beaten either. If teams can't beat them, they deserve to stay. Its not like they park the bus every game. Sports is about winning; the losers can continue to complain.

Romanovik
    Romanovik's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 807

Nice argument

Thryleon

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Sharp View Post
    I'm a professional goalkeeper.. blah blah blah. What are you doing on a gambling discussion board? You're a fool.

We are all allowed to vent on here and give our opinions.

That said... Portugal have followed all of the rules of the Tournament and have advanced. No despicable at all in my eyes.

Proper Win? Hahahahaha
    How about Survive and Advance?!?!?!?
    This is why it is no longer a sport or entertainment. Because of the "survival and advance" attitude. People like you have turned a sport into war.

Thryleon

I can accept the arguement on sound defense but...Against whom? Iceland? Poland? Hungary? Croatia? Which team with a solid offense did they play against? Did they play against France with 11 goals scored so far? Did they play against Germany who has yet to concede an in-play goal and scored 7? Do you think they will keep out Wales with 10 goals scored thus far? The reality is that they took advantage of every piece of regulation and reached this far without playing any serious football. At least Santos was honest about it when he said "it's better to be here with bad football than at home with good." No my friend. They do not deserve to be where they are. They would have deserved it with at least one victory in regulation or one victory over one of the contenders. They have none of the above. Yes sports is about winning. But to be the best you have to face the best and win. And Portugal has not.

lonnloe
    lonnloe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1434

Low scoring game

Thrilla
    Goater a Legend
    Thrilla's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17711

cryptocap
    cryptocap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1679

I can accept the arguement on sound defense but...Against whom? Iceland? Poland? Hungary? Croatia? Which team with a solid offense did they play against? Did they play against France with 11 goals scored so far? Did they play against Germany who has yet to concede an in-play goal and scored 7? Do you think they will keep out Wales with 10 goals scored thus far? The reality is that they took advantage of every piece of regulation and reached this far without playing any serious football. At least Santos was honest about it when he said "it's better to be here with bad football than at home with good." No my friend. They do not deserve to be where they are. They would have deserved it with at least one victory in regulation or one victory over one of the contenders. They have none of the above. Yes sports is about winning. But to be the best you have to face the best and win. And Portugal has not.
    France scored 5 in the last match>>???? and Croatia was the best team from the group stage...Poland was also a staunch defence!

You know nothing

yogohama
    yogohama's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1370

First of all you are talking to a professional goalkeeper so I know soccer much better than you. It is YOU who should shut up and dissapear.
    Sir you are brain dead....
    Ball must have hit you in the head too often...
    Overtime IS NOT A PROPER WIN

Stackzilla
    NGNG
    Stackzilla's Avatar Become A Pro!

How does a team not deserve to be there?? The real argument should be why didn't Poland step up and win or Croatia or Austria?!? Your only seeing one side, and what about the Hungary game?? 2 out of the 3 goals Hungary scored were deflections but those deflections were made possible by horrible defense by Portugal but somehow they were able to equal every Hungary goal by finally remembering how to score a goal. I don't have a stat in front of me but I'm pretty sure not many teams have trailed 3 times in a games and still manged to make it out with a point, which after they scored the 3rd to tie both teams looked dead and happy to walk away with a draw. Who cares what Santos said he's the coach he's not on the field.
    Don't blame Portugal direct your backwards narrow-minded arguments at UEFA..

vasilli07
    vasilli07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10601

So I guess Portugal 'deserved' to be in the finals now just because they finally won a game.

SlickRick1382

I stopped arguing with him because he is obviously biased against Portugal...

With that said, looks like he was right, Portugal weren't able to keep Wales from scoring ...

Oh and look a proper win .... Should of been more but Joao Mario ****** up the easiest shot in front of goal somehow ....

You're right though. Portugal is horrible ... and when and if they win in the final I can't wait to come back and write about how horrible they truly are. I mean they've been two 2 finals, 2 semifinals and 1 quarterfinals in the last 5 Euro's (counting this one) and for the last 4 Euro's (excluding this one) three (3) times they lost against the eventual champions ....

Pretty bad team we have there ....

Killer2121
    Killer2121's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2099

Germany or France (likely Germany) will smash Portugal.

Thryleon

Call me a romantic but I still believe that footbal is most of all entertainment and a sport. Not cynicism or a means to an end. Yes I am biased against Portugal as I have always been biased against Italy when Helenio Herrera created the disgusting "catenaccio" system which destroyed football as well as when they appeared wearing special uniforms so that they can fall at the slightest touch and win fouls and cards for their opponents. Just like I am biased against Argentina for the setup to sent off Beckham and off course "the hand of God". And those are just the tip of the iceberg.

By your way of thinking (the end justifies the means) it is no longer a sport but war. And it has turned to war by people who cared nothing about football but how to achieve their own goals. So Portugal won a game in regulation! So what! They still play shit football and they do not deserve to win this Euro! But it is not always that whoever deserves it wins it....

cryptocap
    cryptocap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1679

^ you know nothing about the game...

addic3t
    Update your status
    addic3t's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5021

A) NO. Overtime IS NOT A PROPER WIN. A proper win is ONLY within the 90 minutes of regulation. Overtime and penalty shoot outs were invented for those tournaments that one side must advance after a single game. If you remember there was an era where ALTERNATIVES to overtime and penalty shoot outs were considered. Fifa is still trying to find viable alternatives to overtime and penalties In basketball there is no concept of a draw. Learn the rules. Regardless of the game one side must win. Hence the overtimes. You may consider a victory in overtime as a win but this is the unethical part of soccer. Do you think that the English are idiots for repeating a game when it's a draw in 90 minutes of regulation for their FA Cup? No. It's not idiocy. It's sportsmanlike behavior. You should be able to win within 90 minutes. Everything else is just a means to an end.

B) Since you are such an asshole, hitting the goalpost is considered a shoot outside the goal. It is also considered incompetence. Missed opportunity for you and the rest of the ignorants. For the professionals off the post is failure. So are missed opportunities. Gross incompetence and failure. We are not talking about players of the crowd. We are talking about players worth millions. And they are supposed to score at such opportunities. That's why they stand out of the crowd...

C) I wonder which leg was it that deflected the ball just a little bit at Nani's shot for the 1-1 against Hungary...
    U should quit u professional goalkeeper career. Since u dont understand soccer are about results. No club/national teams care about if winning by 10 goals or 1 goal. If Portugal wins every game by out scoring by 5 goals each game and lost in final. NO ONE WILL CARE about how many goals they scored!

Just look at Argentina in COPA America. Undefeated, winning ever game and scored a heck alot of goals. But lost in the final vs Chile in PS! Did anyone praised them for the goals?

Joe Sharp
    Joe Sharp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8703

This is why it is no longer a sport or entertainment. Because of the "survival and advance" attitude. People like you have turned a sport into war.
    It's a tournament my friend. That attitude is what college basketball teams live by during March Madness.. have you heard of it? It's only the best tournament in any sport and where underdogs can outlast the big time teams and hit a half court shot at the buzzer to advance.

So tell me again why this is no longer a sport or entertainment because of "people like me".

SlickRick1382

Call me a romantic but I still believe that footbal is most of all entertainment and a sport. Not cynicism or a means to an end. Yes I am biased against Portugal as I have always been biased against Italy when Helenio Herrera created the disgusting "catenaccio" system which destroyed football as well as when they appeared wearing special uniforms so that they can fall at the slightest touch and win fouls and cards for their opponents. Just like I am biased against Argentina for the setup to sent off Beckham and off course "the hand of God". And those are just the tip of the iceberg.

By your way of thinking (the end justifies the means) it is no longer a sport but war. And it has turned to war by people who cared nothing about football but how to achieve their own goals. So Portugal won a game in regulation! So what! They still play shit football and they do not deserve to win this Euro! But it is not always that whoever deserves it wins it....

You're obviously ignorant for saying they don't deserve to win...

They're in the finals for a reason. They deserve to be there ...

Soccer, like any sport isn't a war but it's a battle. They play to win. Not to look pretty and lose. Many Super Bowls have been won by defensive teams. Teams that play better defense normally win the game. Look at game 7 of the finals. It was a defensive game despite two GREAT offensive teams. The finals score was 93-89 despite the fact that GSW averages over 110 points per game during the regular season. Should we be disgusted at their display?

This isn't like the Champions League where it's a two legged game. It's one game. You lose, you go home. It's obviously going to be more defensive as teams don't want to risk making a mistake.

I don't hear you complaining about how Iceland or Austria played or other defensive minded teams played.

Furthermore outside of the Croatia game, Portugal has attacked every single game to the point that they out-shot all of their opponents.

Germany was held goalless vs Poland and only attempted 15 shots (3 on target)
    We had a similar result. We had 21 shots (6 on target) but obviously had the benefit of AET for a few more shots. Still we scored a goal.

How are they that much better?

Why not all the hate against them (Germany)? I mean they scored all of 3 goals in the group stages. Yet they are 8 times bigger than Portugal (80m vs 10m pop) Certainly more of a European powerhouse than Portugal.

Again, yout bias runs too deep and doesn't allow you to see clearly. Portugal may not Germany or Spain but they played well and deserved to be there. They had one horrible game IMO (Croatia) but created enough chances vs everyone else. They're obviously lacking in finishing for this tournament.

Yet in the past 5 Euro's (this one included) they have made 2 finals appearances, 2 semi finals and 1 quarterfinals. Of the past 4 Euro's they lost 3 times to the eventual champions. It's not by fluke that they keep making it this far. They're deserving.....

Enjoy the rest of the tournament and get all the hate out of your system.

Thryleon

First of all I do not hate any team. I just don't like the football they are playing. I did like the football Portugal played with Luis Figo, Pauleta, Nuno Gomez, Deco and the rest in the team. What I hate is "tactics". Play defensively and look to the one moment of counter that will produce the score. Not to mention all those "shity" Italian inventions like "catenaccio", hitting the opponent when the ref isn't looking, do everything possible to make him angry so that he can be sent off (Materazzi - Zidane) etc...

And this is why I do not hate Germany (or any other team with the same mentality for that matter). They get out on the field, play their game, try to win by scoring as many goals as possible and if they lose, they lose. But they do not resort to tactics or delays or anything of the sort.

To make myself clear this has to do with the top sides (clubs or national teams). I expect Brazil, Argentina, Germany, France, England, Portugal, Spain, Belgium, Holland to get out and play ball. Show the rest of the world their BEST football.

I do not expect lesser sides to do the same. I fully expect that Iceland, Sweden, Finland, Greece, Serbia, Croatia and the rest to deploy defensive tactics and look to counter offensives. They do not have the material to go eye to eye with the top sides. That's why I didn't complain for the football Iceland, Austria, Switzerland or Poland played. I did not expect them to play better.

But from a team like Portugal I expected better football. Again. I do not hate Portugal. I just don't like (remember that we had him here for ten years) the approach that Fernando Santos has for the matches.

Stackzilla
    NGNG

Ah yes, Figo, Gomez, that team's starting XI was stacked. The same team who lost to Greece twice in Euro 04 when Portugal were the hosts.

Stackzilla
    NGNG

Santos is the problem, looking at qualifiers he used at least 5 different formations.A team like this needs structure. Not many teams used more than 3 and CR7 is nursing a injury since before CL Final but is playing thru you can tell he's not playing his normal play he's shown no tempo and flat. Expecting Nani or Quaresema to get him the ball near the 6 yard box for a high % easy goal.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: SlickRick1382

Conqueror

Someone here mentioned Figo. I miss him.

SlickRick1382

First of all I do not hate any team. I just don't like the football they are playing. I did like the football Portugal played with Luis Figo, Pauleta, Nuno Gomez, Deco and the rest in the team. What I hate is "tactics". Play defensively and look to the one moment of counter that will produce the score. Not to mention all those "shity" Italian inventions like "catenaccio", hitting the opponent when the ref isn't looking, do everything possible to make him angry so that he can be sent off (Materazzi - Zidane) etc...

And this is why I do not hate Germany (or any other team with the same mentality for that matter). They get out on the field, play their game, try to win by scoring as many goals as possible and if they lose, they lose. But they do not resort to tactics or delays or anything of the sort.

To make myself clear this has to do with the top sides (clubs or national teams). I expect Brazil, Argentina, Germany, France, England, Portugal, Spain, Belgium, Holland to get out and play ball. Show the rest of the world their BEST football.

I do not expect lesser sides to do the same. I fully expect that Iceland, Sweden, Finland, Greece, Serbia, Croatia and the rest to deploy defensive tactics and look to counter offensives. They do not have the material to go eye to eye with the top sides. That's why I didn't complain for the football Iceland, Austria, Switzerland or Poland played. I did not expect them to play better.

But from a team like Portugal I expected better football. Again. I do not hate Portugal. I just don't like (remember that we had him here for ten years) the approach that Fernando Santos has for the matches.
    Best post you've made thus far. Wasn't hate filled and actually had reasonable points unlike some of your other comments.

Notes:
    Croatia is a top team now. They have one of the best if not the best midfield in the world IMO ...

Poland and Swiss are good teams and do not belong in the likes of Finland, Iceland, Greece, Serbia... just like Croatia. They may not be the top tier of Spain, Germany, Brazil, Argentina, etc. but are def a mid tier team.

Which brings me to another point, so is Portugal (a mid tier). They produce some good footballers but are still a small nation. They're a nation of 10m. So Poland theoretically with almost 40m should be able to produce a better side.

I think what Portugal has done gets taken for granted sometimes and people just lump them up with the Spain's and Germany's of the world and forget and expect too much ...

Hopefully Portugal give you a better show for the final. I thought they played well vs Wales until the very end when the game was in hand and were holding off their result ... Do you disagree?

12 Last