survive
    and advance
    survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8560

Euros 2016 mini preview

I posted this write up in Lkid's thread earlier today as a poster was interested in learning more about the teams. Figured I would post it here in the soccer forum...

Group A should be chalk. France is the heavy favorite to finish at the top with Switzerland likely finishing 2nd. France is currently your favorite to win the tournament at about 3-1 odds (too low imo). Romania likely 3rd and Albania finishing last.

Group B is a bit more interesting. England should be the heavy favorite to finish at the top, no surprise. Russia on paper should advance but I really wouldn't be surprised if Wales or Slovakia pulled off the upset. This should be a competitive group IMO. I really like England's firepower but usually England tends to underwhelm in big international stages these days.
    Group C should be chalk. 2014 World Cup champion Germany will be the heavy favorite to win the group. Poland has continued to improve lately- led by world class striker Lewandowski. Poland and Germany faced each other in qualifying, aggregating 3-3 in the two matches. The two teams are familiar with each other, maybe if the value is right Poland could be worth a bet to win the group. Ukraine should finish 3rd followed by Northern Ireland but I think both countries are clearly a step below Germany and Poland here.

Group D will be competitive. Spain is the two time defending euro champions. They'll be heavily favored to win the group. Furthermore, that would place them on the opposite side of France and Germany in the knockout phase so they wouldn't have to face one of those countries until the final assuming they win their groups. Croatia should finish 2nd as they have a solid club with some nice players in modric, rakitic and mandzukic. Turkey is an interesting squad and I wouldn't be shocked if they finish ahead of Croatia, something to keep an eye on if the value is there. Although the Czechs finished ahead of Turkey in their qualifying group, I think Turkey is more talented and the Czech defense is worrisome (14 GA in qualifying).

Group E is a tough one. I assume Belgium will be a slight favorite to win the group with Italy right behind them. Belgium is stacked with talent in net, midfield and strikers but they are very weak at defense especially without their captain, Kompany. Betting Belgium game overs could be somewhere to look. Italy is always strong defensively and tactically but they might be lacking scoring. Sweden and Ireland aren't terrible but they simply aren't as talented as Italy and Belgium. It's basically a coin flip IMO as to who finishes at the top between Italy/Belgium and the bottom between Ireland/Sweden.

Group F is the weakest group. Expect Portugal and Ronaldo to be favored to win this group. Second place could be close between Austria and Iceland. Austria ultimately should advance, featuring a squad with some nice talent following an impressive, dominating group qualifying run. The more I think about it, if the value is there Austria could be a possible bet to win the group over Portugal. Hungary will finish last here.

This year, four 3rd place group finishers will also advance to the knockout stage. I'll try to post more thoughts once some more odds are released and squads are finalized. Feel free to comment your thoughts too, I know there are a lot of sharp soccer guys here that know more than me

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

good start, austria should win group f

GHSCREW
    Where did Kemba Go?
    GHSCREW's Avatar Become A Pro!

feeling like northern ireland might squeak a win against poland or ukraine. odds looking pretty good

cryptocap
    cryptocap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1679

croatia will win the group though...just watch

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

Teams were playing to win at the world cup, I would think you see safer approaches with 16/24 advancing and a lot of sides not used to this stage