p4eris
    p4eris's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 78

two questions about soccer betting sites in the US

I used to live in the UK and Betfair was my go-to site. I'm now living in the US and so all the betting sites here are new to me. Two questions:

1) On Betfair, I can cash out even though the match has not yet ended. Can I do this also on sites like 5Dimes, Bookmaker, etc.?

2) Also on Betfair, I can top up or change an already placed stake (for example, I placed 50 quids on Arsenal on the 1-1 score line but later on in the match I can increase this to 100). Can I do this as well on 5Dimes etc. or is the stake "set" once it is placed?

Thanks in advance!

libra2jay
    libra2jay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 414

no you cant

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9137

How do you increase the stake at he original odds at Betfair?

As far as I can work out I just have ti beta again at whatever odds I can get.

With US facing books you will need to find one with live betting in order to bet the other side live to close out your bets. But you are paying vig on both transactions so it is likely less appealing than just laying off at Betfair.

p4eris
    p4eris's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 78

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    How do you increase the stake at he original odds at Betfair?

As far as I can work out I just have ti beta again at whatever odds I can get.
    You are correct -- you just have to bet again at whatever the new/current odd is. I just worded the OP poorly.

With US facing books you will need to find one with live betting in order to bet the other side live to close out your bets.
    I didn't mention this in the OP but, yes, this is about live betting.

Not too sure what you mean by "bet the other side live to close out your bets".

Here's what I do on Betfair -- there's a Serie A match on Friday (Bologna v Juventus) and what I would have done is in the "Match Odds" market, I would've placed a bet on Juventus to win. Then in the "Correct Score" market, I would've placed a bet on the "0-0" and "1-1" score lines. Now, let's say in the 20th minute Juventus scores, I could cash out of the "Match Odds" market for small profit.

This is what I mean by my first question above and *I THINK* this is also what you mean by "betting the other side live to close out bets."

But you are paying vig on both transactions so it is likely less appealing than just laying off at Betfair.
    By vig you mean a commission (apologies... I'm a casual newbie and don't know much terminology)? If so, then it's the same thing on Betfair. In my example above, they would have gotten a 5% commission on each bet.
    Last edited by p4eris; 02-19-16 at 08:15 AM.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9137

I like your strategy.

Yes Vig (Vigorish) is what our American friends call the Bookie Commission. You'll see it called Juice around here too.

You can still do what you have been but will need to work out how much money you need to place on the other side yourself, and have the money available to bet the other side instead of just offsetting directly against the original bet like at Betfair.

At Betfair you dont pay 5% on each bet, just on the total market outcome... so you are paying 5% total for both the bet and lay of Juvo. Where as if you bet Juvo pre match at 5Dimes and then back Bologna after Juvo score Live at Heritage, there is vig on both transactions and obviously depending on price your outcome is probably not as good on average.

Not as convenient and a bit more expensive for US bettors, but can be done.