daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Would soccer be more popular in the US if there were no ties?

I think so. College football got rid of them. NHL got rid of hegemony. Ties suck. Nobody in the states wants to get invested in a 3 hour event that ends in a fukkin tie every week.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Blazer concentrate on baseball its your best sport

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Yes. Without a doubt.

Ties and tables aren't the way its done out this way, generally.

Some nit will point to the NFL, which is a shit-for-brains example, IMO.

You get rid of ties and bring a golden goal thing into the 1st OT for 30 minutes. Tie after that is PK's.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Americans love the NBA soccer is too slow for most Americans.

jazzdrum78
    jazzdrum78's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 306

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    I think so. College football got rid of them. NHL got rid of hegemony. Ties suck. Nobody in the states wants to get invested in a 3 hour event that ends in a fukkin tie every week.
    I agree with your premise. The problem is there are teams like Costa Rica that should not be out on pitch but in the kitchen cooking Rice and Beans. So they ruin the game with their embarrassing non-existent style.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Game didn't end in a tie. Only for betting purposes on 3 way betting.

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9120

Soccer's popularity, especially in 3rd world countries, is because its easy & cheap to play. What do you need? a ball + space. It can be played 1vs1 - 11vs11 and everything in between, its easy to play. You can make a goal out of anything. I bet 99% of us right now can find something to make a goal out of. 2 trash cans, even 2 rocks will work

buddhamonk
    buddhamonk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

soccer is the only sport where you can lose but still win if you play a beautiful game, and i like that

it's hard for the us fans to appreciate this because they come from a culture where it's about dropping a ton of points

it's a culture shift

and to be honest we are not concerned with what would make it more popular in the usa.

it is on the way to becoming the most popular sport anyway, and it will be very soon, nothing needs to be changed.

as the old guard of america fades away and the new immigrants become a larger part of the demographic whole, soccer will be called football even here

new york city football club is a good example, they did not even bother to call it a soccer team but a football club

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by marcoloco View Post
    Soccer's popularity, especially in 3rd world countries, is because its easy & cheap to play. What do you need? a ball + space. It can be played 1vs1 - 11vs11 and everything in between, its easy to play. You can make a goal out of anything. I bet 99% of us right now can find something to make a goal out of. 2 trash cans, even 2 rocks will
    What do you need to play football besides ball?

kevraid
    kevraid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 216

Soccer would be more popular in the USA if there was no offsides. Not enough scoring. The REAL reason soccer is not popular is there are many more sports to choose from. Baseball basketball football...Most soccer rich countries only have soccer as the sport anyone care for.
    Take offsides away and have the average score 5-3 then soccer could become the 4th most popular sport in the USA... Also check out how many football,basketball(college and pro),and basbeall games are on TV vs soccer and what stations those are on. Check out how many soccer games are on ESPN outside of the world cup.. NBC sn Cbs SN doesnt compare to ESPN...Yes soccer might get a bump here but just not as popular as in the rest of the world cuz there are other traditional sports in america and most the best athletes in america play basketball or football

vasilli07
    vasilli07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10601

Quote Originally Posted by kevraid View Post
    Soccer would be more popular in the USA if there was no offsides. Not enough scoring. The REAL reason soccer is not popular is there are many more sports to choose from. Baseball basketball football...Most soccer rich countries only have soccer as the sport anyone care for.
    Take offsides away and have the average score 5-3 then soccer could become the 4th most popular sport in the USA... Also check out how many football,basketball(college and pro),and basbeall games are on TV vs soccer and what stations those are on. Check out how many soccer games are on ESPN outside of the world cup.. NBC sn Cbs SN doesnt compare to ESPN...Yes soccer might get a bump here but just not as popular as in the rest of the world cuz there are other traditional sports in america and most the best athletes in america play basketball or football
    Calling for the removal of the offside rule is dumb. If a game of soccer is without it, it will look like a tennis game. Strikers will infest the pk box and defenders will be sticking with them. The ball will just be lump from 1 end to another, there won't be much movements needed.

Having offside rule increase the difficulty of the game. The whole defensive line need to be aware at all the times, offensive players need to time their runs or passes.

If you like the score to look good, maybe soccer should be like tennis, every goal score is 15 points.

easyliving
    easyliving's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11

323213656776th thread about ties in soccer sucking. Until recently NHL games ended in ties and no one had any issues with that.

easyliving

Quote Originally Posted by kevraid View Post
    as clueless as it gets. If the offside rule was to be gotten rid of Teams would line up 7-8 guys on defense the whole time and you rarely would see any goals meaning a whole lot more games would end 0-0. Teams push up because of the offside rule, if it was to be eliminated teams would adjust and play with different tactics.

Also any sport where a team can score 100 points is a joke. Regular season NBA is becoming more and more unwatchable as it is nothing but guys running up and down the field scoring against minimal defense, no point in watching the first 3 quarters of an NBA game.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Eliminating the offside rule in soccer will be the same as eliminating the shot clock in basketball.

mewalke11
    mewalke11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 135

I would be more interetesed if they fixed the clock.

counting up? No stopping? I think letting the clock run and trusting the ref to add time is putting way to much responsibility in the hands of the refs.....who are the most corrupt in sports with the nba refs coming in second.

mewalke11

Quote Originally Posted by easyliving View Post
    323213656776th thread about ties in soccer sucking. Until recently NHL games ended in ties and no one had any issues with that.
    then why did they change it?

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by mewalke11 View Post
    I would be more interetesed if they fixed the clock.

counting up? No stopping? I think letting the clock run and trusting the ref to add time is putting way to much responsibility in the hands of the refs.....who are the most corrupt in sports with the nba refs coming in second.
    The 4th ref (the one who is signaling how much stoppage time to put on) has a clock that he stops manually. The ref on the field only times the stoppage time. It's very accurate.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Draws aren't the reason America doesn't like soccer. It's that it is not a traditional sport in our society. If MLS had been around since the 50s or 60s, it would be more widely accepted.

MLS was only created as a money making opportunity for the USA to get the World Cup back in the 90s. If that wasn't on the table, there probably still would not be a major soccer league in the States. So the real "attempt" at US soccer is barely 20 years old. The more Beckhams, Henrys, Lampards, Villas, etc. that they get to come - the better shot that soccer will be a little more popular.

In another 20 years maybe it will be more popular, but honestly I think the US will need to host another World Cup for it to take off more.

In the mean time, people without taste prefer to watch the bullshit product that is the NBA now-a-days when that league has been garbage for a decade.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

then why did they change it?
    they changed it with overtime and penalty shootout just like soccer. But I think they give points to the losing team in ties just like soccer.

mewalke11

Quote Originally Posted by buddhamonk View Post
    soccer is the only sport where you can lose but still win if you play a beautiful game, and i like that

it's hard for the us fans to appreciate this because they come from a culture where it's about dropping a ton of points

it's a culture shift

and to be honest we are not concerned with what would make it more popular in the usa.

it is on the way to becoming the most popular sport anyway, and it will be very soon, nothing needs to be changed.

as the old guard of america fades away and the new immigrants become a larger part of the demographic whole, soccer will be called football even here

new york city football club is a good example, they did not even bother to call it a soccer team but a football club
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahaha

Im not a soccer hater...in fact I like hockey in a place where is isn't that popular so I get the idea of wanting people to care about the game like you do but seriously?

Ok buddy. Not true at all. The world cup is like the olympics, people will watch something they usually wouldn't....how often do people care about competitive swimming? every 4 years.

Do you even know why its called soccer in some places? do some research Soccer was interchangeable with football in the UK until about 20 years ago. Who cares what its called.

The old guard? Football couldn't even be considered the most popular sport in the USA till about 20 years ago. Baseball was. Boxing used to be huge in America. Things change but the same old argument that kids growing up playing soccer will love it as adults doesn't and hasn't held water....ever.

mewalke11

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    The 4th ref (the one who is signaling how much stoppage time to put on) has a clock that he stops manually. The ref on the field only times the stoppage time. It's very accurate.

Really because I watched the Brazil game yesterday and there was no way in hell 5 min covered how much time was wasted by Brazil ( and the refs) trying to milk the clock in the second half.

mewalke11

Eliminating the offside rule in soccer will be the same as eliminating the shot clock in basketball.
    That makes no sense. The shot clock is about speeding the game up. Which is why college basketball just make theirs shorter.

Offsides is about cherry picking.They dont have an offside in basketball but how often are cherry pickers left but he other teams basket? Not often because they they would get destroyed on defense.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Soccer is not big in the US because there is no coaching, scouting level in high school. So even the kids who play soccer in high school are not coached properly or developed like football, basketball or baseball kids of their age.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

That makes no sense. The shot clock is about speeding the game up. Which is why college basketball just make theirs shorter.

Offsides is about cherry picking.They dont have an offside in basketball but how often are cherry pickers left but he other teams basket? Not often because they they would get destroyed on defense.
    it has the same effect on scoring. As others pointed out without offsides the defense can play low line just in front of the goalie and really park the bus with little to no opportunities of scoring.

mewalke11

I also think it would be more accepted if the soccer fans weren't such a-holes about it.

Guy #1 "I don't really like soccer"

Man United fan from Provo, Utah "What?! You just don't understand the game? Typical fat American *. Go ahead like Lebron james he just a giant freak...futball takes skill"

*says the guy who lives in Utah
    Last edited by mewalke11; 07-05-14 at 09:42 PM.

mewalke11

it has the same effect on scoring. As others pointed out without offsides the defense can play low line just in front of the goalie and really park the bus with little to no opportunities of scoring.
    Hmmm makes sense when you say it like that.

DrRuss
    DrRuss's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 210

Why does soccer need to be more popular in the US?!?

We went from having to pay-per-view the Euro and pay for soccer channels showing 1 game a week live, to free EPL, La Liga and Serie A every week on Bein, Fox and ESPN. To me soccer is exactly where it needs to be in the US.
    And in every small town there is at least one bar that will show EPL games, with a good crowd and beer to boost.

I personally don't want soccer to be even the slightest more popular that it currently is or it will be over commercialized really quick. Keep it "underground" I say

easyliving

Ok buddy. Not true at all. The world cup is like the olympics, people will watch something they usually wouldn't....how often do people care about competitive swimming? every 4 years.
    now your just sounding like an idiot. This is a horrible comparison, Most of Europe and South America lives and breathes soccer 365 days a year. Just because its not popular in the US doesn't mean the rest of the world shouldn't care about it either. It is indeed a beautiful game and the rest of the world loves it.

Chipup
    Chipup's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

It's been covered pretty well here. Ties, lack of scoring, and boring rules. But I think it goes deeper than that, I think it's the lack of impacts and those gay CARDS. The sport is very feminine. I mean wtf, your going to hold up a color at me .. I need a penetrating color chart to tell me wtf is going on and the refs are horrible. Half the time they hand out these cards to guys who don't deserve them only to have the guy pussy out on a argument to get a red card.

Give me a red card for a blown call you made and I'd kick a ref in the nuts with my cleats, not cry as I head to the sidelines playing with my hair.

MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.
    MUHerd37's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10678

I would like soccer more if there weren't these damn draws. Fixing matches is also a real big problem. More Americans would like soccer also if there was decent soccer in America. The MLS is a shit fest of shit players. I do like me some Bundesliga, EPL, and La Liga.

High3rEl3m3nt
    SBR's 7 figure Contractor
    High3rEl3m3nt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4134

I also think it would be more accepted if the soccer fans weren't such a-holes about it.

Guy #1 "I don't really like soccer"

Man United fan from Provo, Utah "What?! You just don't understand the game? Typical fat American *. Go ahead like Lebron james he just a giant freak...futball takes skill"

*says the guy who lives in Utah
    Ha. This is hilarious because I live in Sandy, Utah and go to RSL every now and then. I've been to games and while the game is being played, there's always a few skinny, trendy types that are talking about EPL.

High3rEl3m3nt
    SBR's 7 figure Contractor
    High3rEl3m3nt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4134

MLS use to not have ties. Games would go to a shootout like in hockey.

smitch124
    smitch124's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1547

They should make the goal like a football goal post.

TheLock
    TheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7931

Penetrating idiots thinking the offsides rule is the problem.

The only problem with soccer is the ape mentality of NFL diehards who love commercials and Bud Light.

iceman02
    iceman02's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2965

Guys all sports have a beauty of their own. Comparing sports is like comparing dick sizes. Football (soccer) is a great sport.

12 Last