ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Soccer is a gorgeous sport. Especially when you realize WTF to watch.

Most people dwell on the end result. The goal. Watching a play develop, using teammates to systematically move the ball forward, strategy. It's really pretty fun and there is a lot to watch once you start to appreciate it.

homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11078

here are the reasons we americans hate soccer:

0-0 draws,

1-1 ties,

we LOVE scoring. if the avg game was 4-3 we would love it here

homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11078

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    Americans love the NBA soccer is too slow for most Americans.
    baseball and golf are slower than soccer which is why i hate baseball and golf with a passion.

soccer kicks baseballs ass.

if soccer could average a 4-3 score in int'l play the WC would be the best thing ever. ever

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

I use to think NO TIES was the best way in sports. When the NHL got rid of them years ago... they thought the sport would take off and rebuild popularity. They also removed fighting. I think hockey lost some of its spunk because of this. I think every sport is designed a certain way... why change it? Keep soccer the same way. I've actually enjoyed this World Cup more so this year... than any other year. It's an interesting sport no doubt.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDog View Post
    Soccer is a gorgeous sport. Especially when you realize WTF to watch.

Most people dwell on the end result. The goal. Watching a play develop, using teammates to systematically move the ball forward, strategy. It's really pretty fun and there is a lot to watch once you start to appreciate it.
    Exactly....

There's nothing wrong with soccer in America, just the ignorant morons that complain and don't have a clue

It's funny, but of my friends and people I've come across that I've heard talking shit about soccer lately, none of em have a clue about the sport, the teams, etc when I asked them about it

Most of my sharper friends have been following the WC, and I've noticed the typical soccer fan is a lot smarter in America.....don't know why

mewalke11
    mewalke11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 135

Quote Originally Posted by easyliving View Post
    now your just sounding like an idiot. This is a horrible comparison, Most of Europe and South America lives and breathes soccer 365 days a year. Just because its not popular in the US doesn't mean the rest of the world shouldn't care about it either. It is indeed a beautiful game and the rest of the world loves it.
    No I don't sound like an idiot the title of the post is
    Would soccer be more popular in the US if there were no ties?"

Clearly I was talking about America. Nice try though.

mewalke11

Quote Originally Posted by easyliving View Post
    now your just sounding like an idiot. This is a horrible comparison, Most of Europe and South America lives and breathes soccer 365 days a year. Just because its not popular in the US doesn't mean the rest of the world shouldn't care about it either. It is indeed a beautiful game and the rest of the world loves it.

I also think it would be more accepted if the soccer fans weren't such a-holes about it.

Guy #1 "I don't really like soccer"

Man United fan from Provo, Utah "What?! You just don't understand the game? Typical fat American *. Go ahead like Lebron james he just a giant freak...futball takes skill"

*says the guy who lives in Utah

See what I mean about Soccer guy?

mewalke11

Quote Originally Posted by High3rEl3m3nt View Post
    Ha. This is hilarious because I live in Sandy, Utah and go to RSL every now and then. I've been to games and while the game is being played, there's always a few skinny, trendy types that are talking about EPL.
    Haha I think you probably know why I picked Utah then

mewalke11

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyLineDawg View Post
    Exactly....

There's nothing wrong with soccer in America, just the ignorant morons that complain and don't have a clue

It's funny, but of my friends and people I've come across that I've heard talking shit about soccer lately, none of em have a clue about the sport, the teams, etc when I asked them about it

Most of my sharper friends have been following the WC, and I've noticed the typical soccer fan is a lot smarter in America.....don't know why

Again.... you soccers guy keep proving the point!!!!!!!!!!

See post again!

I also think it would be more accepted if the soccer fans weren't such a-holes about it.

Man United fan from Provo, Utah "What?! You just don't understand the game? Typical fat American *. Go ahead like Lebron james he just a giant freak...futball takes skill"

mewalke11

Quote Originally Posted by TheLock View Post
    Penetrating idiots thinking the offsides rule is the problem.

The only problem with soccer is the ape mentality of NFL diehards who love commercials and Bud Light.

Holy Shit! Soccer guy does it again...can you guys not read..this is exactly why soccer guy gets made fun of....

See post again!

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Batman up here distracted me but no I don't think it would change anything. I'm always hoping for a shootout in these games if there's a possibility of that but other than that, the game is alright. I understand most games will just end in a draw outside the WC but even then you have the excitement of hoping for a last second goal. Less flopping and referees blowing calls would be top on my list for improvement.

rodneytrotter
    rodneytrotter's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 760

Quote Originally Posted by Chipup View Post
    ...I think it's the lack of impacts and those gay CARDS

Much more manly

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Another thing is that we only have a rooting interest every 4 years because the MLS just isn't there yet. If the MLS could get people to pay attention it may be different, but a lot of soccer lovers here would still rather pay attention to the better leagues outside of the US.

Not much hockey love as there should be but the NHL is still the top league in the world.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Draws exist in domestic leagues because there are no playoffs. You get 3 points for a win, 1 for draw and 0 for a loss. Each team plays others twice, home and away. The team with most points wins the league. 2nd to 4th play in CL. 5th and 6th play in EL. Bottom 3 are relegated to lower division. The draws work very well in domestic leagues.

In World Cup it's the only time you see KO stage from the round of 16. In CL for example they play twice in KO round. Home and away. There are more tiebreakers like the away goals rule and rarely it goes to pk's.

So the only time you see the draws in KO is the World Cup. A team like Costa Rica if they play with 3 forwards they will get slaughtered and lose 4-2, which is what people want to see. There only chance is to park the bus and extend the game. They play with a tight formation with one forward, four midfield and five defenders and a high back line so they can use the offside trap.

If you follow the domestic leagues the ties are no issue. Only in World Cup KO where teams like Costa Rica, Switzerland, Algeria, USA tried to park the bus in front of goal.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by mewalke11 View Post
    Again.... you soccers guy keep proving the point!!!!!!!!!!

See post again!

I haven't heard many people that don't like soccer simply say, "it's not for me, I've tried watching it a bunch of times and tried to get into it, but I like other sports better"

It's usually: "Soccer is for fags, pussy sport, not enough scoring lolz, etc"

It goes both ways

mewalke11

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyLineDawg View Post
    I haven't heard many people that don't like soccer simply say, "it's not for me, I've tried watching it a bunch of times and tried to get into it, but I like other sports better"

It's usually: "Soccer is for fags, pussy sport, not enough scoring lolz, etc"

It goes both ways
    and why do you think they would say that?

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9120

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    What do you need to play football besides ball?
    more rules

First 12