Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

why is soccer so popular around the world?

only good thing i see is there are no commercials every 2 minutes like football and basketball.

that's about it...

RGG
    RGG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Cheap to play
    Points Awarded:

sourtwist gave RGG 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR

that can't be the only reason though.

TakingVegasMoney
    TakingVegasMoney's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 881

Quote Originally Posted by RGG View Post
    Cheap to play
    Exactly. All you need is a ball and a field. Every other sport requires equipment. These countries that live in extreme poverty can barely make it off of what they have as is.. How can you expect them to buy baseball gloves or bats. Or football pads.

horja1
    Grrrrrr
    horja1's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by RGG View Post
    Cheap to play
    unlike basketball, baseball, hockey, football

bob6199
    bob6199's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2477

Quote Originally Posted by Ghenghis Kahn View Post
    that can't be the only reason though.
    no that is the main reason it literally is free to play, most countries don't have the the resources to play any other sport. Another reason is most countries actually have a good attention span unlike America and they can handle the beauty of the game without millions of points being scored....

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Quote Originally Posted by bob6199 View Post
    no that is the main reason it literally is free to play, most countries don't have the the resources to play any other sport. Another reason is most countries actually have a good attention span unlike America and they can handle the beauty of the game without millions of points being scored....
    I'd say most Americans can't handle the ties. They can deal with 1-0 games...but ties suck

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR

so it's universal in most people's thoughts that it's cheap to play.

if that were the case, wouldn't running be the most popular sport in the world?

cheaper than soccer...

horja1
    Grrrrrr
    horja1's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    I'd say most Americans can't handle the ties. They can deal with 1-0 games...but ties suck
    I wonder how many americans froze horified in front of their TV's at the end of Vickings - Packers game wondering "what the fukk just happened"

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Been thinking about this while hitting upon the pipe in my study.

My conclusion so far:

Soccer is often the only major sport in the majority of nations.

Here in the USA, we have choice. Choices for everything when it comes it entertainment (sadly that's where most our choices end in this country). NBA, NHL, MLB, NFL, NCAAFB, NCAABK and I could seriously go on. Without even talking about MLS.

Most countries begin and end with their national futbol leagues and of course the awesomeness that is the larger leagues like EPL.

So, whereas we grow up hearing about the Red Sawx and the Steelers and the Celtics and Lakers. Where we were literally put to bed with stories of Hank Aaron and Ernie Banks. These kids were told stories of soccer greats.

Now it's as ingrained in their culture as the often seen as "boring" sport of MLB is in our own.
    Last edited by ChalkyDog; 06-15-14 at 03:08 PM.

TakingVegasMoney

cheaper than soccer...
    Who the hell likes running?

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Quote Originally Posted by horja1 View Post
    I wonder how many americans froze horified in front of their TV's at the end of Vickings - Packers game wondering "what the fukk just happened"
    there's been players in the NFL who didn't understand the tie rules

BigBlueNYG
    BigBlueNYG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 456

A lot of other countries can't afford to play football or even basketball (from a youth sports standpoint), but soccer is affordable for just about everyone, not a lot of gear is needed and as long as you aren't buying the fifa world cup ball (150.00) then a soccer ball is affordable. I don't get the appeal with it either, to me it's a lot like hockey except hockey has a lot more action. I think the US has tried to embrace it, but I just don't see it ever being a popular sport, a lot like college baseball, there are certain areas that love it, but for the most part unless it's the college world series or world cup most people don't care here.

TakingVegasMoney

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlueNYG View Post
    A lot of other countries can't afford to play football or even basketball (from a youth sports standpoint), but soccer is affordable for just about everyone, not a lot of gear is needed and as long as you aren't buying the fifa world cup ball (150.00) then a soccer ball is affordable. I don't get the appeal with it either, to me it's a lot like hockey except hockey has a lot more action. I think the US has tried to embrace it, but I just don't see it ever being a popular sport, a lot like college baseball, there are certain areas that love it, but for the most part unless it's the college world series or world cup most people don't care here.
    I think it will become more of a popular sport in this country. A lot of parents are shying their children away fro American football because of the injuries. The one other sport that is offered to young ones in the fall is soccer. 10-15 years From now I could definitely see 5 major sports opposed to 4 (hockey basketball football baseball). Also.. As Americans we always want to be the best. We don't have our lebron or Michael of soccer. We are still waiting for that superstar American who can go play with the likes of messi or Ronaldo.

bruins35
    bruins35's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by TakingVegasMoney View Post
    I think it will become more of a popular sport in this country. A lot of parents are shying their children away fro American football because of the injuries. The one other sport that is offered to young ones in the fall is soccer. 10-15 years From now I could definitely see 5 major sports opposed to 4 (hockey basketball football baseball). Also.. As Americans we always want to be the best. We don't have our lebron or Michael of soccer. We are still waiting for that superstar American who can go play with the likes of messi or Ronaldo.
    they have done studys on soccer players with head injurys from heading the ball.Its alot worse then u think

BigBlueNYG
    BigBlueNYG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 456

Altidore may be the closest we get, Donovan actually had more world cup goals combined than those two guys, but obviously playing for the Galaxy isn't gonna get the recognition of playing for Real or Barcelona.

TakingVegasMoney

Quote Originally Posted by bruins35 View Post
    they have done studys on soccer players with head injurys from heading the ball.Its alot worse then u think
    I'm sure it Is. But the overall perception of football is it's a violent game where injuries always occur. Soccer on the other hand...

SportsMushroom
    SportsMushroom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6839

yeah. europeans are so poor we can only afford soccer balls

every house and street has a hoop in it and there are indoor and outdoor basketball courts everywhere, the truth is we dont give a shit about basketball, baseball, or any other silly sport you have going on down there

there are two reasons for this same thread popping up every 5 minutes on this forum

1. people just trolling and looking to start an e-fight

2. americans just cant handle the fact that a non-amercian sport, and a sport they suck at, is king of all sports

you guys are so arrogant, when an american team wins a title you call them 'world' champions, despite the fact that noone else around the world gives a shit about or even plays that sport and in a league that includes north american teams only
    Last edited by SportsMushroom; 06-15-14 at 03:44 PM.
    Points Awarded:

ACoochy gave SportsMushroom 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 3 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: bruins35, easyliving, and AXERTYRE

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

Soccer is popular because anyone can go into their backyard and play it at a minimal cost.

It is popular here in the United States to, just not on a professional level. Didn't we invent the term "Soccer Mom"?

Kermit

Quote Originally Posted by SportsMushroom View Post

every house and street has a hoop in it, the truth is we dont give a shit about basketball, baseball, or any other silly sport you have going on down there

there are two reasons for this same thread popping up every 5 minutes on this forum

2. americans just cant handle the fact that a non-amercian sport, and a sport they suck at, is king of all sports

you guys are so arrogant, when an american team wins a title you call them 'world' champions, despite the fact that noone else around the world gives a shit about that sport and in a league that includes north american teams only

I have to admit that I too think that when an NFL team wins the Superbowl, calling them "World Champions" is silly considering 99.9% of the players are from the U.S. and the sport is based in that country.
    Points Awarded:

SportsMushroom gave Kermit 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

DA_MOSS
    Yepp
    DA_MOSS's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 652

Yepp.. I bet every kid in Africa, India, Brazil, Mexico, etc.. all have basketball goals and can afford the top notch equipment too right?

Europe isn't the end all of the soccer world

and you call Americans arrogant?
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Das Jax

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine
    swordsandtequila's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6446

every house and street has a hoop in it and there are indoor and outdoor basketball courts everywhere, the truth is we dont give a shit about basketball, baseball, or any other silly sport you have going on down there

you guys are so arrogant, when an american team wins a title you call them 'world' champions, despite the fact that noone else around the world gives a shit about or even plays that sport and in a league that includes north american teams only
    And you guys are so gullible you fall for the same sh*t every time. Post should have started and ended with reason #1

Kermit

Quote Originally Posted by DA_MOSS View Post
    Yepp.. I bet every kid in Africa, India, Brazil, Mexico, etc.. all have basketball goals and can afford the top notch equipment too right?

Exactly. I had seen videos of dozens of kids in Africa kicking around a ball that they made themselves.

akphidelt
    akphidelt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 640

cheaper than soccer...
    Not really a team sport. Kids like playing together and all they need is some sheeps wool or some rocks and they can play the sport anywhere.

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Everyone is brought up with soccer, it's part of their culture. It really is entertaining if you know the game and have a rooting interest in it. Instead of a team, you're rooting for your country.

akphidelt

Actually European basketball has been growing exponentially over the years. Bball is getting big in Europe.

SportsMushroom

Quote Originally Posted by DA_MOSS View Post

yes it is, europe dominates soccer

basketball is played in every country in the world, but north america is the king of basketball

same thing for soccer, every country in the world plays it, but european soccer is and will always be the king of the king of sports

again, this is simply about american ego not being able to handle the fact that the king of sports is a game which they suck at and did not invent

akphidelt

Quote Originally Posted by Cuse0323 View Post
    Everyone is brought up with soccer, it's part of their culture. It really is entertaining if you know the game.
    Even if you know the game it is boring as shit. Fun to play though.

Kermit

The sad thing is that even if the United States had the most dominate soccer team in the world, people from the U.S. still wouldn't watch it.

akphidelt

yes it is, europe dominates soccer

basketball is played in every country in the world, but north america is the king of basketball

same thing for soccer, every country in the world plays it, but european soccer is and will always be the king of the king of sports

again, this is simply about american ego not being able to handle the fact that the king of sports is a game which they suck at and did not invent
    Actually the NFL makes almost twice as much as the Premiere League. The NFL is the King of sports.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR

here's my take on soccer.

more and more i think about it, it's all freudian...

the goal post = vagina

the ball = penis

"gooooooooaaaaall" = orgasm

/thread

TakingVegasMoney

Get the stick out of your ass. No one said Europeans can only afford soccer balls. I don't know where the hell you are getting that inclination from.

SportsMushroom

Quote Originally Posted by akphidelt View Post
    Actually the NFL makes almost twice as much as the Premiere League. The NFL is the King of sports.

hmmmmm, lets take a look see?

nfl, 300 million viewer market

premier league, 7 billion viewer market ?

whats the viewership like for a superbowl? 200mil? last world cup final was watched by 2 billion people, you'd need 10 superbowls to reach that figure

your math doesnt add up akphi

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1800

Germans can only afford a soccer ball, they can't afford a basketball because they need to buy their bmw/audi/porsche

Kermit

Just out of curiosity, what other sports do they play in countries like say Spain for instance? I know soccer is HUGE there, but what else?

123 Last