justkyle88
    justkyle88's Avatar Become A Pro!

Why is home pitch so important?

Whys is the home pitch in soccer so important?

For example, Olympiakos beat ,man UTD 2-0 but the lines are reversed for UTD at home?

ardacet8
    ardacet8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5098

Just watch football in Europe. If you are not Real Madrid or Barcelona, your tactics change depending whether you are at home or away from home. There is an old saying in football, "1 point away from home is a success". The home team plays with confidence and support (even more if that's Greece, Turkey, Italy, Spain) and fans are very important because they influance the game easily. So that's why

justkyle88

I can see how traveling can affect it, but home crowd...I just don't understand it.
    Guess I never really played a bunch of team sports to understand.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Quote Originally Posted by justkyle88 View Post
    Whys is the home pitch in soccer so important?

For example, Olympiakos beat ,man UTD 2-0 but the lines are reversed for UTD at home?
    To put it very generally...historically and statistically teams win more often at home!

whareouttogetme
    whareouttogetme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4195

Pitches are different sizes as well nou camp is much wider than many other stadiums

justkyle88

Quote Originally Posted by whareouttogetme View Post
    Pitches are different sizes as well nou camp is much wider than many other stadiums
    Interesting, I could see minor changes in the pitch would alter gameplay.

SarahPalin
    SarahPalin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 214

good teams dont lose at home. also latitude and that stuff can change the game entirely

justkyle88

do you mean altitude?

addic3t
    Update your status
    addic3t's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5021

The homewcrowd is the "12" player is the usual say. The cheering gives home players extra adrenalin and motivation.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

do you mean altitude?
    ha yes I think he does! For instance teams in Ecuador are tough to play against on their ground.

justkyle88

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    ha yes I think he does! For instance teams in Ecuador are tough to play against on their ground.
    "sarahpalin" is a chick I thought?

barca12
    barca12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 633

Yeah fans are important, but there are teams in Europe that have better away than home records. Inter Milan lately have been winning away and cant beat anybody at home. I dont have exact numbers its just something I noticed lately..I've always been puzzled by importance of home stadium..its tilting for example when Barca beats Levante 7-0 at home and than draws them 1-1 away..

edabramov
    edabramov's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 476

Fatigue.

I fly a couple of times a year, and honestly it takes me a day to settle in into a different climate etc..

Now think about it this way.

Barcelona has 3 games in one week. Rayo Vallecano, fine terrible away side easy 6-0 win.

Now let's go ahead and travel to England, Manchester. Got 3 days to train and settle in.

That's 2 games in 4 days, I re-call when I was 13-14 that my legs would hurt like a bitch next day after REALLY playing soccer/football.

Now travel to san sebastian to play against Sociedad, a side that's pretty much capable of beating someone like Barca, PLUS at home, Plus with no European commitment, PLUS well rested. vs a Barcelona side that has to play 3 games in a week, have the time to train, travel, settle in climate, etc..

My head sometimes hurts from flying the last thing on my mind is to play soccer.

But then they're used to it so they sorta adapted to it. They're just humans tho.

CXCVINE
    CXCVINE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 170

Yeah, all said above is true. Don't know any other sport where the home pitch advantage is so big. But don't get too cocky on this advantage when betting. Sometimes it can work very badly against you. Guess it happens to everyone.

justkyle88

But they have to travel home as well.

I see how it is important, obviously stats and numbers don't lie.

But they have to travel away, then they are still catching a plane to come home and play again in a short period.

CXCVINE

The difference is they play on their home pitch like approx min 20 matches a season, so it's pretty easier than playing away. They're used to their pitch and all other stuff like training facilities. The home pitch advantage comes more psychologically imo. So the saying "Home, sweet home" is quite true in this case.

edabramov
    edabramov's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 476

If you want a definition of home crowd intimidation and fear for life, look into Nigerian league. Home Advantage for you.

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  29.7 KB

CXCVINE

Holy sht lel

I've read home crowd killed a referee for showing a red card for their player some weeks ago. It was Nigerian football match. Guess explains that.

justkyle88

Wow at both posts^^^

Is that true?

justkyle88

OK, so now I'm watching basketball and I tailed a guys tip on this forum in the NBA thread.
    Home team is underdogs at home at like $2.30 or something. Was up like +22 and still winning by 12 ATM. Looks like they will win it.

Another example of home arena advantage..

Don't understand the importance of a basketball field though, aren't they all the same?

justkyle88

I go to the toilet to do a poo and its 110-110, eeeeeek

justkyle88

That was exciting...and stressful haha

Came home with the win in ET

MustWinPlease
    MustWinPlease's Avatar Become A Pro!

Nigerians are crazy

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

"sarahpalin" is a chick I thought?
    well yes in real life! This is probably a 45 year old redneck with a hard on for her tho!

Kelloggs
    Fancy a sausage, russia ?
    Kelloggs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3393

Is it not the same for all sports ?

Fx. look at the NBA where you barely have any cheer from the crowds, but nonetheless there is barely one team that is better away than home.
    Even in bazzzzzzzzzeball the home team stats are better than the away team stats.