LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Gus Johnson Calling Champions League Final?

Jack of all trades.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

He's been doing Champions League all season.....Alot of soccer purists might not agree, but I think he's pretty solid

Good when teamed up with an old school soccer guy

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyLineDawg View Post
    He's been doing Champions League all season.....Alot of soccer purists might not agree, but I think he's pretty solid

I may be in the minority in that I like Gus, but I didn't think his ebo-humor would translate well to soccer.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

I love Gus for basketball and football....And think he's solid for soccer, especially your average American fan that thinks soccer is boring

Not sure how you can watch this game right now and find it boring at all

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

This is the worst commentary I have ever seen in a Champions League final. For about 10-15 seconds every minute there is no commentary.

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine
    swordsandtequila's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6434

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    This is the tv worst commentary I have ever seen in a Champions League final. For about 10-15 seconds every minute there is no commentary.
    Most tv commentators talk too much, think they're on radio. Sometimes less is more.

Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    This is the worst commentary I have ever seen in a Champions League final. For about 10-15 seconds every minute there is no commentary.
    Ball goes into the stands. Homo laying on his back like he was ambushed with a machine gun. Princess trips over his own feet and lays in agonizing pain. Ball into the seats 60 meters over the goal.

andyrocha90
    andyrocha90's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1943

Gus is decent compared to all american soccer commentators. Every other commentator is dull and tries to make soccer too tactical. Taylor Twellman and Gus are my fave, keep it interesting and will tell it how it is

tropolis
    tropolis's Avatar Become A Pro!

gus has gone from college basketball on low level networks to being the go to guy on a premier network broadcasting the most watched event in the world.

he has made it.

PuckIt
    See Premonition Below
    PuckIt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Ball goes into the stands. Homo laying on his back like he was ambushed with a machine gun. Princess trips over his own feet and lays in agonizing pain. Ball into the seats 60 meters over the goal.
    Deuce can now go back to ignoring the Soccer forum for the next year now Good stuff

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24857

I agree. Pretty solid, lets the color man talk more.

Gus is known for getting excited, which is fine by me. Gus showed he knows the player names well, so he did his homework.

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24857

Quote Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
    gus has gone from college basketball on low level networks to being the go to guy on a premier network broadcasting the most watched event in the world.

he has made it.
    I thought he was great on NCAA Basketball tournament. Guy is surely pulling in loads of cash now.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

My favorite Gus Johnson call I can remember.....I had UW ML big in this game, sick call

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!

I love me some Gus Johnson. Give me a unique or strange voice any day. That, and he has me convinced to bet the over during his college bball games due to the fact that he has the amazing ability to send games to OT.

ChalkyDog

My favorite Gus Johnson call I can remember.....I had UW ML big in this game, sick call

Hate this game, couldn't believe that shit went in. Especially with Gus Johnson on the MIC - shit should have been a lock for extra time.

RubberKettle
    RubberKettle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 791

Gus Johnson should not be announcing the Champions League. The guy co-commentating with him is terrible too.

Fox coverage is shit. ESPN needs to get the rights back.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by RubberKettle View Post
    Gus Johnson should not be announcing the Champions League. The guy co-commentating with him is terrible too.

Agreed. He may be good for basketball but for soccer he was not good. A guy who watches 5 games per year shouldn't be doing the CL final.

camelbreath$
    camelbreath$'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6575

Some comments on the New York Times Article on Gus Johnson from yesterday:

"FOX: you are ruining the game! You are embarrassing us, making Americans look stupid, and alienating potential fans.

Gus Johnson is among the worst soccer game announcers ever. He is tone deaf, pops the mic, doesn't know a blessed thing about the game he is calling, recites meaningless "details", has no sense of the flow of the game, and seems to be doing everything in his power to alienate and disenchant anyone brave enough to attempt to watch a broadcast he is on.

It's like he is a sleeper agent for the other sports.

He is rivaled only by those other Americans who insist on calling soccer as if it were hockey or baseball. (JP DeLaCamera, Phil Schoen, I'm looking at you). Go watch those other sports if that is your passion. Stop ruining soccer.

Fox should offer separate audio streams with the feed, so that fans can mute the horrible announcers, or better yet, pick one that is competent.

I've been watching soccer for 15 years now, and regularly watch MLS, English, Spanish, Italian, and German games. On a few extremely bored occasions, I even watched Australian league. All of those far excelled the paltry efforts of Johnson & Wright. They are like you literally took two random idiots off the street and stuck them in front of a sport they knew nothing about. For Wright, that's doubly confusing. At least he played the game, although his "neutrality" is never even pretended."

camelbreath$

"This guy is one of the worst soccer announcers ever. His name pronunciation is horrible, but this is the least of his problems. For anyone who knows European soccer, Johnson sounds like an amateur trying to cover his lack of knowledge with stats overload. He doesn't have a good broadcaster's voice or rhythm, and his screams, often at inappropriate moments, are extremely, extremely irritating.

He doesn't deserve to be named in the same article as Mr. Darke and Mr. Tyler. The Fox Sports management is completely clueless, but they get away with this because most viewers lack knowledge or experience to understand how horrible this guy is. If he is back next year, I will give up watching the CL games on my big beautiful HDTV, and go with whatever I can find on the web with real British commentators. "

camelbreath$

"I haven't heard Johnson much I'll admit - but I do think it's a very strange decision, and not really fair on him, to make him your chief soccer commentator when he previously knew nothing about the sport. It's virtually impossible for him therefore not to miss references and for him to fully relate to the culture of soccer. It's got absolutely nothing to do with accents - I'm British - and I don't give two hoots if the accent is American, English or Zimbabwean (and there are some excellent American commentators on soccer). But what I do give two hoots about is knowledge and accuracy. I mean try this thought experiment. What if Fox appointed an English commentator with no knowledge of the NFL to comment on football?"

camelbreath$

"This really is offensive.

The equivalent would be having a Brit who'd never spent any time watching baseball, had no knowledge of its history, and clearly didn't care about the sport being hired to announce the World Series."

camelbreath$

"In my view, this experiment with Johnson needs to be over. The fact that Fox feels the need to shove a clearly untrained, unprepared broadcaster down our throats clearly shows that they have lost the plot.

No-one would dream of yanking Joe Buck from an NFL game and slamming Martin Tyler at the viewer? The problem is that FOX has lost its identity with the US soccer fan and is desperately trying to claw back a fan base that has frankly, given up with them.

To be fair to Johnson, he's doing the best he can and I admire his understanding that he's out of his depth. To show how Fox completely misunderstands this scenario, they stick Ian Wright, one of the worst color analysts ever to grab a microphone, with Johnson in the hopes he'll learn something. The only thing he'll learn from Wright is to "shut up"! Wright behaves like he swallowed a radio. The constant meaningless chatter is quite agonizing.

If you listened to Tyler, Champion, Motson, and Darke call a game, there are periods where they stay silent. They let the viewer digest the game. THIS IS NOT RADIO - we have a video feed so don't tell me "the ball's played over to the left". I ALREADY KNOW THAT.

No doubt these comments will fall on deaf ears at FOX as they frankly, don't care.

Thanks for ruining what promises to be one of the best Champions League finals in quite some time."

camelbreath$

And there are about a hundred more, just like those....

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

That will be really funny if they grab a British soccer commentator and have him announce the World Series or the Superbowl.

thechaoz
    2019 SBRs Toughest Poster
    thechaoz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35902

The most offensive thing is soccer...period

TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

I like Johnson, don't care for Wright.

The worst was Alexi Lalas that guy could make doing Kate Upton sound boring

RubberKettle

NBC or ESPN will take over the rights soon....Fox is on the way out of soccer broadcasting.

blackbart
    blackbart's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20649

Quote Originally Posted by TheCentaur View Post
    I like Johnson, don't care for Wright.

The worst was Alexi Lalas that guy could make doing Kate Upton sound boring
    lol

Wilfred
    Wilfred's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 528

NBC or ESPN will take over the rights soon....Fox is on the way out of soccer broadcasting.
    Didn't they just buy the World Cup?

camelbreath$

Fox has purchased the rights to broadcasting every match in the 2018 and 2022 World Cups. So if by 'on the way out' you mean investing billions of dollars and going all in, then yes, you're correct.. haha

ChalkyDog

NBC sports. They have done an amazing job covering the NHL. And every Futbol match I see on that network is also done very well.

Tune in at every chance you get.

Darkside Magick
    Black Box Algorithm
    Darkside Magick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

Holy Mackerel

RubberKettle

Quote Originally Posted by camelbreath$ View Post
    Fox has purchased the rights to broadcasting every match in the 2018 and 2022 World Cups. So if by 'on the way out' you mean investing billions of dollars and going all in, then yes, you're correct.. haha
    I did not know this. Was going by NBC obtaining the rights to epl next year which makes fox soccer channel irrelevant.

I hope they spend some money on new commentators cause Gus Johnson sucks ass.