sam9ball
    Update Status
    sam9ball's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2353

FIFA gets Costa Rica protest over WCup loss to US

http://news.yahoo.com/fifa-gets-cost...2067--sow.html

ZURICH (AP) — FIFA is studying a protest from the Costa Rica soccer federation, which wants a World Cup qualifier against the United States replayed after losing 1-0 in a snowstorm.
    "FIFA will now analyze the content of the letter and next steps will be determined in due course," the governing body said Monday in a statement.
    The Costa Rican federation said Sunday that the "physical integrity" of players and officials was affected, "ball movement became impossible" and field markings were not visible in Friday's match played in Commerce City, Colo.
    The federation also urged FIFA to punish match officials, including referee Joel Aguilar of El Salvador, for allowing the match to proceed.
    For the protest to have a chance of succeeding, it must meet specific requirements stated in the 2014 World Cup Regulations.
    One clause says that when a field becomes unplayable, the protesting team's captain "shall immediately lodge a protest with the referee in the presence of the captain of the opposing team."
    Costa Rica also had to file written protests with the match coordinator within two hours of the final whistle, and to FIFA's administration by registered letter within 24 hours, "otherwise they shall be disregarded," the regulations state. FIFA had yet to determine whether Costa Rica had followed those procedures.
    U.S. captain Clint Dempsey scored in the 16th minute to lift his team to second place in the six-team CONCACAF region qualifying group after two matches. Costa Rica is last.
    The top three teams qualify directly for the tournament in Brazil, and the fourth-place team faces New Zealand in a playoff.

acarmelo1
    The Panamanian Connection
    acarmelo1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1581

That game has to be replayed, or atleats the refs and comisioner suspended. Game should had never been started.

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere
    Bcatswin's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5350

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

I was just about to post this, that's crazy.

Seems like Costa Rican players wanted to keep playing, so not sure if the protest is going to go anywhere.

acarmelo1

Quote Originally Posted by tto827 View Post
    I was just about to post this, that's crazy.

Seems like Costa Rican players wanted to keep playing, so not sure if the protest is going to go anywhere.
    I was reading the story on the costa rican newspaper http://www.nacion.com/ they say that the costa rican players and coach asked for the game to be stopped, but the usa coach insisted for the game to continue.

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

Quote Originally Posted by acarmelo1 View Post
    I was reading the story on the costa rican newspaper http://www.nacion.com/ they say that the costa rican players and coach asked for the game to be stopped, but the usa coach insisted for the game to continue.
    I've heard some other things elsewhere, easy to claim it after you lose. Who knows though, they probably did complain.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Costa Rican players only started bitching AFTER they lost.....from all accounts the players wanted to continue the game

The US doesn't complain when they have to go down to the central american countries in 100+ degree heat and on garbage fields like they did against Honduras last month

It's called a homefield advantage......

It is not the US team's fault that the officials played the game, what's done is done

acarmelo1

I dont think the game will be replayed, but I think that the officials will get suspended. Game should had never been started.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7684

Judging from the pic the game should not have been played.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    Judging from the pic the game should not have been played.
    Maybe not, but like I said before, it is not the US's fault

Punish the decision makers, not the team

What if Costa Rica won the game?

Nova99
    Nova99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 93

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyLineDawg View Post
    The US doesn't complain when they have to go down to the central american countries in 100+ degree heat and on garbage fields like they did against Honduras last month

Personally I didnt see this as an advantage for the US, there were several chances late where CR couldve tied this. Given CR's poor record in the US i was surprised the us wanted this to go on instead of playing on a clean field. Cold, maybe some flakes I can understand but the game deteriorated to kicking the ball as far from your goal as you can. It was really risky letting this game go on.

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

I think the bottom line is thus.....

Fukk Costa Rica.:

Costa Rican soccer

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Nova99 View Post
    Personally I didnt see this as an advantage for the US, there were several chances late where CR couldve tied this. Given CR's poor record in the US i was surprised the us wanted this to go on instead of playing on a clean field. Cold, maybe some flakes I can understand but the game deteriorated to kicking the ball as far from your goal as you can. It was really risky letting this game go on.
    Either way, what's done is done

Costa Rican players have probably never even seen snow

Nova99
    Nova99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 93

Either way, what's done is done

Costa Rican players have probably never even seen snow
    well some of the cr players plays/played in Scandinavia... plus us soccer shuts down in the winter month, its not as if many of our players ever played in snow.

agreed what is done is done, fifa aint gonna change crap, the team they wanted to win won.

William Walters
    William Walters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Costa Rican players only started bitching AFTER they lost.....from all accounts the players wanted to continue the game

It is not the US team's fault that the officials played the game, what's done is done

Fukkin crybabies protest AFTER they lose now claiming otherwise.

bitches

acarmelo1

BTW it is US Soccer fault. Why did they schedule the game on Denver when they know is Winter Season? That is just stupid, I mean with many other places they could play like: Miami, Texas, California.

High3rEl3m3nt
    SBR's 7 figure Contractor
    High3rEl3m3nt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4134

Whoa, I watched this game and both sides wanted to continue. The ref wanted to call the game and both teams were adamant about seeing it through. If Costa Rica refused to play on, I guarantee the game would have been called.
    Points Awarded:

swordsandtequila gave High3rEl3m3nt 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

BTW it is US Soccer fault. Why did they schedule the game on Denver when they know is Winter Season? That is just stupid, I mean with many other places they could play like: Miami, Texas, California.
    High elevation since they play at the Azteca tomorrow

Homefield advantage.....Cold

RubberKettle
    RubberKettle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 791

USA needed a win badly. Must make the top 3 and a trip to Azteca is looming tomorrow.

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

it's a tough situation if you're the us OR costa rica

if you refuse to play you look bad
    if you protest and still play you look bad

officials are 100% to blame, turned the game into a circus

acarmelo1

Well when u guys come to play on Panama, we will send you to our stadium on Darien
    Homefield advantage: Heat, Humidity, Insects and bad terrain.
    Last edited by sbr.rodrigo; 02-25-15 at 09:24 AM.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

Well when u guys come to play on Panama, we will send you to our stadium on Darien
    Homefield advantage: Heat, Humidity, Insects and bad terrain.

The US deals with this shit routinely playing in the CONCACAF......nothing new
    Last edited by sbr.rodrigo; 02-25-15 at 09:24 AM.

MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.
    MUHerd37's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10678

Both teams played in the same shit conditions. Costa Rica needs to stop being a bunch of pussies. Had they stopped the match, the game would have to been played again within 48 hours. Neither team wanted that because both teams play tomorrow. Sack up Costa Rica!

acarmelo1

The US deals with this shit routinely playing in the CONCACAF......nothing new
    Well when you play on Panama you always play on this stadium, and always on night time.
    Always on the night, cause we want everybody to watch the game and the stadium to fill up. Since almost everybody on Panama works from 8am to 5pm. You will never play on Panama at 2pm with the heat and stuff. We care more about filling up the stadium and sell tickets XD

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

Well when you play on Panama you always play on this stadium, and always on night time.
    Always on the night, cause we want everybody to watch the game and the stadium to fill up. Since almost everybody on Panama works from 8am to 5pm. You will never play on Panama at 2pm with the heat and stuff. We care more about filling up the stadium and sell tickets XD
    Yeah, not all of it is terrible.....but sometimes the US plays in ridiculous heat on shitty fields

We can schedule our national games wherever we please, and so can any other country.....If the conditions are too harsh that is up to the officials, nothing more

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine
    swordsandtequila's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6470

Quote Originally Posted by High3rEl3m3nt View Post
    Whoa, I watched this game and both sides wanted to continue. The ref wanted to call the game and both teams were adamant about seeing it through. If Costa Rica refused to play on, I guarantee the game would have been called.
    100% correct. I watched the game also and it was obvious both teams wanted to continue. If I recall correctly, somewhere around the 54 minute mark the ref contemplated stopping the game and both teams argued against it. If anything the game shouldn't have been played, but once committed play it out. As stated, they chose Denver to try and mirror the conditions (altitude) for Mexico match tomorrow.

sam9ball
    Update Status
    sam9ball's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2353

US was trying to show Costa Rica how to play football the American way. wait a minute wrong kinda Futball.

“Neither rain, nor snow, nor sleet, nor hail shall keep us from playing Football"

abadboycali
    abadboycali's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 240

haha yeah , crying babies again ..lolz ... if they didnt want to play in the condition like that , they could protest to stop the game rite there... but protest after the match, when ur team lost... haha thats call sore loser .... common man =))

goblue12
    goblue12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 453

I would have GLADLY cooperated and rescheduled the game another day if either of the teams spoke up about the conditions pre-game. But when it's 1-0 the other team and you are just now coming out in protest, I call sour grapes.

It's not like that Costa Rican team has never seen or played in snow before. Sure it's not in their climate, but 8 of their 11 starters in that match play in England, Scandanavia, or MLS.

PolishSensation
    PolishSensation's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5065

Back in the 80's Canada used to play it's qualifiers in the coldest part of the country. The Central Americans were not prepared. One of the reasons Canada qualified for the 86 WC.

cmh329
    cmh329's Avatar Become A Pro!

At the time the ref stopped to talk to both teams, Costa Rica was getting most of the scoring chances. They thought they definitely had a chance to equalize and steal a point, they didn't and now are protesting. The captain or coach must tell the ref during or immediately after the match they are protesting, according to reports this didn't happen and thus the protest will not be upheld by FIFA.

DarkNite
    DarkNite's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 60

I dont think the game will be replayed, but I think that the officials will get suspended. Game should had never been started.
    I think the officials did not know what to do, they supposed to stop the game. I saw on TV, oh, gosh, how they play, could not see anything.

hurricane1091
    hurricane1091's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6469

Pussies. Don't tread on the U.S.