sportsguy04
    [Too Long]
    sportsguy04's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2431

Saturday Conf. Cup

New Zealand +1 (-115) vs. Iraq -1 (-155)

Spain -.5 (-140) vs. South Africa +.5 (+100)

Umm somebody tell me why I should not go heavy on Iraq and Span?

1. Iraq needs to win to try and advance, but they must win 3-0 over New Zealand to get their Goal Differential above S. Africa. They did well packing it in against Spain which losing only 1-0 should end up helping out their Goal differential.

2. New Zealand is horrible, cant string 3 passes together and slower then dog shit. They could give a shit less about this game, while Iraq is fightng for another day and needing to win by a few goals.

1. Spain has already qualified for the semis, but they still need to clinch the 1st place spot, so there for they should play their starters and go for the win.

2. I was not impressed with S. Africa at all, Spain should handle these guys alright.

3. S. Africa must get the win, so they will be playing up tempo and hungrey. Both teams needin the win: SPAIN!

Predictions:

Iraq -2 New Zealand - 0

Spain - 2 S. Africa- 0

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by sportsguy04 View Post
    Umm somebody tell me why I should not go heavy on Iraq and Span?

1. Spain has already qualified for the semis, but they still need to clinch the 1st place spot, so there for they should play their starters and go for the win.

3. S. Africa must get the win, so they will be playing up tempo and hungrey. Both teams needin the win: SPAIN!
    Why does Spain need to clinch 1st place? There is no real motivation for them to do so. The goal for both teams is to reach the semis. Winning the group is secondary. Anyway, Spain only needs a tie to clinch 1st place.

South Africa, with Pienaar back, completely outplayed New Zealand, but forgot to run up the score. They only need a tie to reach the next round, with the home crowd going wild for them. (A tie gives them 5 points, and Iraq can only reach 4 points).

When both teams in international soccer only need a tie to reach their goal, the chances are pretty good that they end up sharing the points. That's why the tie for this game doesn't have the best of payouts.

South Africa +0.5 or, riskier, South Africa to win SU (because IF there is one game in this tournament that Spain won't care about, this is it. I think they're too proud not to care, so will take SA ATS.).
    Last edited by Dark Horse; 06-18-09 at 05:39 PM.

dwest718
    dwest718's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Ermm... Spain wants to win because they'd prefer to play Egypt than Brazil. I don't know about you but I'd rather play Egypt than Brazil as well. Spain will play to do no worse than draw so picking South Africa SU is illogical. Betting +0.5 is risky but could be intelligent.

sportsguy04
    [Too Long]
    sportsguy04's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2431

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
    Why does Spain need to clinch 1st place? There is no real motivation for them to do so. The goal for both teams is to reach the semis. Winning the group is secondary. Anyway, Spain only needs a tie to clinch 1st place.

South Africa, with Pienaar back, completely outplayed New Zealand, but forgot to run up the score. They only need a tie to reach the next round, with the home crowd going wild for them. (A tie gives them 5 points, and Iraq can only reach 4 points).

When both teams in international soccer only need a tie to reach their goal, the chances are pretty good that they end up sharing the points. That's why the tie for this game doesn't have the best of payouts.

South Africa +0.5 or, riskier, South Africa to win SU (because IF there is one game in this tournament that Spain won't care about, this is it. I think they're too proud not to care, so will take SA ATS.).
    spain wants to clinch 1st place so they have to play the 2nd place team in the other Group which will likely be Egypt assuming Brazil Ties, or beats Italy.

Im sticking with my gameplan from earier, Spain -,5 Iraq -1.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

If this were the World Cup I would agree with that type of reasoning. But it is not.

Spain may well win, based on superior quality, but to them this is a semi-friendly tournament, and they use it as warm-up/tune-up. The same goes for Brazil. If anything, these top teams care more about playing each other, because it's good practice, than about winning this meaningless tournament. They care little to nothing about avoiding each other in the semis.

The tournament, of course, means something completely different to South Africa and, to a lesser extent, to Egypt.

The one thing going for you is that SA could get through to the next round even with a loss. Depending on the score in the other game.

And the big uncertain is SA's defense. They haven't been tested, and in two games have allowed only, get this, 1 shot at goal. (Spain has allowed six).
    Last edited by Dark Horse; 06-19-09 at 10:33 PM.

Netprofit
    Netprofit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 302

playing Draw is good in the circumstances in the Spain game even if payout is lower than usual.

bostonbruins
    bostonbruins's Avatar Become A Pro!

If I was going heavy I would put it down on the Spain Under. Like Dark Horse said, Spain doesn't need to win , and I expect to see some bench players get some time. I'm looking for a boring defensive game 0-0, 1-0, 1-1

With that said, I am not going heavy but will be taking the under.

Karayilan9
    FENER / TRABZON
    Karayilan9's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 105

Taking South Africa is a big risk in this game, they have played 2 awful teams and their defense hasn't been really tested at all, the few occasions it was they looked shaky.

For me its Spain ML or no play, South Africa can't be trusted, they arn't organized, disciplined and experienced enough to be taken heavy. Spain couldn't break down Iraq, it looked bad on Spain especially since Brazil turned it up a gear.

Spain will want to prove to themselves and their doubters that they can break down defensive teams, I have yet to see if South Africa can play defensive, they have been the dominant team against Iraq and New Zealand this is a totally different kind of game. There is not much value in South Africa Win or the Over/Under, there is too much uncertainty and their are better games today or tomorrow to make money on.