kevingoalgoal
    kevingoalgoal's Avatar Become A Pro!

Who would win the cup?

Who would win the cup?
    Brazil, England, or Argentina? Maybe even Holland?

-----------------------------------------------------------
    Come to share your emotion with other fans.
    http://www.talkbrand.com/cup

Tchocky
    Tchocky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1086

This section is for American football. There is a soccer section. Brazil will win.

Bulldog
    Bulldog's Avatar Become A Pro!

Sick of Brazil

I think Argentina or England should definitely win it, alghough or course Germany being host and all is also a favorite.
    Anyone but Brazil if you ask me!

Baphomet
    Baphomet's Avatar Become A Pro!

Germany all the way!

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Moved to the proper forum.

mad
    mad's Avatar Become A Pro!

England haven't a hope IMO. Argentina, Germany or Brazil. Hoping Argentina.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

If Holland gets by Portugal, they'll take care of England (which should be able to beat Ecuador) as well. That puts the Dutch in the semi-finals.

I never gave Brazil much of a chance, and based on what I've seen, I have no reason to change my mind. Same for Italy, except that they've always been among my favorites.

The only surprise to me are the Germans. Much better and more attractive than expected. Guess what, the Dutch won't meet them until the final. But Argentina will not let the hosts get that far.

My final? The same game that meant nothing earlier this week: Holland-Argentina. My winner? Still Holland. There is a reason that there are four Dutch coaches at the WC. Marco van Basten may not have the best players, but he sure knows what it takes to win. He gives the Dutch a unique mental edge that could take them all the way. This is not the beautiful Holland, the Orange Clockwork, that we're used to seeing. This is a team that is extremely difficult to beat. And that goes a long way towards a championship.

(btw, if you wondered why the US looked so flat, look no further than Bruce Arena. The personality of the coach directly translates to the field. I'm picking van Basten. )
    Last edited by Dark Horse; 06-22-06 at 08:35 PM.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

Holland was my pre-cup pick as well.

Illusion

I will go with the Yankees of soccer and go with Brazil.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

I'm going to cheer for Ghana though, I like the way they play.

Bulldog

I dont know guys, I think some of you are overestimating hollands real power. I personally dont think they will get by Portugal.
    England to me looks like a better team.
    Italy might have a chance, their schedule might be good.
    After the afternoon games Ill post my predictions for the next round, i want to see what you guys think.

Baphomet

Germany v Sweden -> Germany Germany v Arg: Germany
    Argentina v Mexico -> Argentina
    England v Ecuador -> England Eng v Portugal: Portugal
    Portugal v Holland -> Portugal

Italy v Australia -> Italy Italy v Ucraine: Italy
    Switzerland v Ucraine -> Ucraine
    Brasil v Ghana -> Brasil Brasil v Spain: Brasil
    Spain v Korea or France -> Spain

So, I don't see Holland at the semifinals...

Bulldog

Previews

Ok guys,
    everything is set, let the games begin.
    My picks to advance:

Germany
    Argentina
    England
    Portugal
    Italy
    Ucraine
    Brazil
    France

I would like some comments.
    How many dogs on that list? (portugal, perhaps france or ucraine) Anyway.
    Looking down the road I like Argentina over Germany, Italy over any, England over Portugal or Holland and France in the upset over Brazil.
    Wouldnt that be nice?

Terris
    Terris's Avatar Become A Pro!

Strongest teams imo: Brazil, Argentina, Netherlands
    Overrated: Germany, England
    Suckiest teams left: Portugal, Korea

And finally teams i like, but dont think can win the WC
    Ghana, Ecuador, Australia

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

Portugal, England and Korea are probably the bottom 3 teams to advance.
    England MAY advance, because they have so much talent, it's ridiculous...
    However, Portugal is the worst 3 win team I've ever seen hands down.
    They are terrible. They have players, but they think they are all Kobe Bryant or some shiz... You don't score goals 1v5 very often - although, Portugal believes they can.

Seriously, I'd take Korea over Portugal if they were playing... I truly believe that Portugal goes out 1st round and the game won't even be a challenge. They havn't really played a 'tough' opponent yet, and they've struggled mightely to get the goals they've scored...

I've watched all the games and I'd put Portugal talent-wise below the 20th place team at least - if not more. They've done their job, and their line will be juicy - but they cannot beat anyone at all in the knockout round.

RickySteve
    SBR is a criminal organization
    RickySteve's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 187

Quote Originally Posted by McBa1n
    Portugal, England and Korea are probably the bottom 3 teams to advance.
    England MAY advance, because they have so much talent, it's ridiculous...
    However, Portugal is the worst 3 win team I've ever seen hands down.
    They are terrible. They have players, but they think they are all Kobe Bryant or some shiz... You don't score goals 1v5 very often - although, Portugal believes they can.

Seriously, I'd take Korea over Portugal if they were playing... I truly believe that Portugal goes out 1st round and the game won't even be a challenge. They havn't really played a 'tough' opponent yet, and they've struggled mightely to get the goals they've scored...

I've watched all the games and I'd put Portugal talent-wise below the 20th place team at least - if not more. They've done their job, and their line will be juicy - but they cannot beat anyone at all in the knockout round.
    You lost a bundle fading Portugal huh?

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

Korea?!

digi
    digi's Avatar Become A Pro!

Germany ,England or Argentina to win it all.

I wouldn't underestimate England, they can only get better.

Most overated team left in the last 16 - Holland
    Last edited by digi; 06-24-06 at 05:43 AM.

adriano
    all-in
    adriano's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by McBa1n
    I've watched all the games and I'd put Portugal talent-wise below the 20th place team at least - if not more.
    You are very wrong my friend. Very, very wrong. If you don't like Protugal don't bet their games, but don't tell me they are below 20th talent-wise. This is ridiculuos.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

The Dutch and Portuguese are pretty evenly matched. Holland plays more compact. And their wingers - Robben and Van Persie - are more effective than Ronaldo, who as of yet has no idea how to translate his great talent into useful actions. I think it was Portugal's second game where he made several dance steps in a row for no reason at all. They didn't even qualify as fakes. To look like a total fool shows a lack of intelligence in relation to the game. In that area Robben and van Persie are much sharper.
    Also, Holland is by now more battle tested. Serbia, Ivory Coast, and Argentina are of a completely different order than Angola and Iran. (don't be confused by Argentina's 6-0 trashing of Serbia, when they decided to get away from their defensive style; Serbia qualified above Spain for this tournament!)

One line we haven't seen much of yet is the Dutch midfield. I couldn't imagine them to play four straight games at a near invisible level. So I expect them to step it up and play with more aggression and dominance. If Holland has disappointed (they haven't really, because they played with their B team against Argentina), it is because the midfield hasn't performed.

The winner of this match goes straight to the semi finals, because England is little more than a bump on the road for either of these teams. England is a joke, a horrible team.

tacomax
    SBR Problem Poster 2007-08
    tacomax's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1167

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse
    I think it was Portugal's second game where he made several dance steps in a row for no reason at all. They didn't even qualify as fakes. To look like a total fool shows a lack of intelligence in relation to the game.
    He does that week in and week out for Manchester United.

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

F - I just made a HUGE post to defend my reasons - and it got deleted.
    I've actually not touched Portugal this cup (if I remember correctly)... The decisions were all close and not worth the big bet on them - and their play is a HUGE reason why.

I believe they have talent to win 1 game, MAYBE, in the knock out stage... But I'd put EVERYTHING I own that they won't get to the final 4.

They are the ultimate fugazi in 3-0 teams, because even if they have talent, they've played the WORST team game out of all the 16 in the 'knock out' stage of the cup. Sure, some teams, ala England, have won 3, but comparing the talent is a joke. England has stunk it up for 3 games and still got by - but their talent compared to Portugal? I don't believe you can compare.

It's a horrible comparison. Portugal didn't beat anyone to qualify. At least Sweden generates proper scoring chances... Portugal faced no one like that (although their keeper is MUCH more competant than the one they served up 4 years ago).

It's just, in a nutshell... Talent that plays like a team advances. Portugal has a bunch of midfielders/strikers that think they are Lebron James or Michael Jordan or Barry Bonds or something and think they can score 1v5.

Anyone who watches the game can agree. Plus, their most talented player (Figo) needs a respirator after about 25 minutes or less. He flops worse than Italian/Argentinian/Mexican players do and he doesn't get the calls he used to. He's too slow. As far as Ronaldo goes... He's so talented for all the wrong reasons.

I respect your word, Adriano, a LOT - it's helped me win money... It disagrees with me that you see something different...
    However, I believe that you are incorrect in this spot.
    I don't have to like it, however, I still believe differently based on watching all the games so far.

I'd take 4-6 teams 1v1 over Portugal that DIDN'T qualify. That's not how the Cup works, so I can't prove my point...
    It's irrelevant. I just know that teams win, and Portugal is a crappy team with solid/adequate to win talent, as they keep showing in International competition with their 'golden generation'. It's just, they play miserably as a "team" - and even worse than England IMO - and they have less talent.

As a bettor - they are the kind of team you have to avoid. If a team Portugal is playing doesn't show up - then that team will lose... You never know.
    Argentina didn't show up today and they still got by.
    They have world class talent at a LOT of positions. Portugal hasn't shown up at all and havn't lost. That speaks loudly of their talent - but even worse of their competition.

Bulldog

Ive been following your imput
    Interesting guys...

I still think Portugal will advance over Holland, wouldnt put any money on it, I think its a tough game to bet on.
    I have to agree with those of you who say England hasnt played very well. Anyway I think they have tons of talent, specially in the midfield (Beckham, Lampard, Gerrard, Cole) and probably the best central defense in the world (Terry and Ferdinand... even Campbell who is on the bench.)
    Ill take England over either team to advance latter on.
    Maybe England- Brasil in semi´s. This was one of the best games 4 years ago...

isetcap
    isetcap's Avatar Become A Pro!

Well done, Bulldog!

Baphomet

Germany v Sweden -> Germany Germany v Arg: Germany
    Argentina v Mexico -> Argentina
    England v Ecuador -> England Eng v Portugal: Portugal
    Portugal v Holland -> Portugal

Italy v Australia -> Italy Italy v Ucraine: Italy
    Switzerland v Ucraine -> Ucraine
    Brasil v Ghana -> Brasil Brasil v Spain: Brasil
    Spain v Korea or France -> Spain

So, I don't see Holland at the semifinals...

I already said it, why don't you believe me?

The final will be Germany against Brazil, and Germany will win it. 2-0

Bulldog

So far, so good with my picks.
    Today's games are tough and should be close.
    Ill stick with Italy and Ukraine.
    Enjoy the games!!!

Baphomet

Boring games today.
    Expect a red card on Die Schweiz - Ukraine, maybe a penalty kick.
    Italy has it real easy. Australia should go home now.

Bulldog

So we are approaching the final 8
    No big surprises this year.
    Maybe Ghana can really surprise us tomorrow.
    I picked Brazil and France
    Im 6 for 6 in my picks so far
    I wish Id talked less and bet more. jajajaja
    Still loving the cup and hoping refereeing gets better.

Illusion

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog
    hoping refereeing gets better.
    It can only go up from here because it couldn't get any worse than it already has been.

Baphomet

LOL Illusion.
    Brazil to win really easy.

I hope Spain wins this afternoon. They've scored many goals, and did 9 points on the first phase.
    France has scored only once during the Cup, and has scored only once outside France for 20 years!!!
    I don't really like the frenchies, they bought France '98, and it's not fair.

Bulldog

I dont know guys, I really liked the way Spain played throughout the first round but honestly, after the first game in which they killed Ukraine (now in quartefinals) they didnt play any tough oposition.

France played poorly, failed to win the group but advanced. Now they face a team which they have dominated lately. They also get their retiring star Zidane back, which Im not sure is a good thing. If coach Domenech stops being a wuzz and decides to play Zidane, Henry and Trezeguet I think France has a talented, veteran, balanced team that could take down the younger Spaniards.

I think they are worth a shot to advance at +145 or so or in regulation at a very generous + 235
    Also be nice to take them +0.5 in regulation but a little more expensive at -165 or so.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.
    What do you guys think??????

Bulldog

Good job guys
    I won a little $ myself
    Told you guys
    France all the way!!

Baphomet

Haha good for you.
    Brazil needs to make up for France 98.

ali_g
    ali_g's Avatar Become A Pro!

holland had and never will have a chance. england? seems the curse still follows them were ever they go. germany good chance cause they are a good team and have home field advantage. portugal.... not a chance with half the team sitting out for the match up with england.... italy i wont even go there with them but brasil with all the talent and skill should pull this one off! france not a chance... any ways who like the french men

Baphomet

I don't like frenchies at all.
    Zidane can lick my boots anytime.

Germany will win this!
    Deutschland über alles!