solid152
    solid152's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 322

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals28 View Post
    It's cause the best athlete's here don't play soccer like they do in other countries. Imagine us playing american football against other countries?
    i would LOVE to see that happen

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

If you watched the US beat Brazil today, in the first knock out game, you wouldn't say that. Of course 99% of all Americans don't give a shite, but I lost my voice today watching the big game.
    Of course soccer will not ever be huge in the US. Marketing wants everyone to believe that Lebron is the best player in any sport ever. And that's why Americans fail in sports, overall. Marketing does NOT equal quality competition.

Just saying, Brazil's women strikers are FAR BETTER than anything this nation has produced on the men's side. No matter our standing in the world on the men's side, but the US is not developing that kind of talent.

The US has many wannabe Lombardis coaching our kids in soccer. The thing is, the things you learn by ******* off and being creative are why our teams pale in comparison on the men's side of things. That said, the US womens team would likely beat the US men's team.. They are more creative and much better players. The US men's team is a cruel joke with the Bradleys being in central roles. You can't develop talent with a turnover machine playing EVERY game because his father is coaching it..

Just sayin, again, Freddie Adu was marginalized for some reason that I don't know, yet, he can do things with the ball that NO OTHER American can.

It don't matter, there's only a few thousand of us that wake up at 2 or 3 am to watch the national teams play...

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110
    Bill Dozer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21705

I agree. It's definitely a culture thing. Our guys go to camps to learn from British coaches and kids in Brazil bring their balls to the beach.

But don't you have to give Bradley credit for bringing in Adu? He was not highly regarded in other systems either.

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Bill to be honest I was shocked that Bradley put Adu in the lineup knowing the other options available. Adu, within US Soccer circles, along with Altidore have underachieved bigtime. Both of them went to Europe and did practically nothing, and were having a hard time finding playing time. It was a huge gamble, and he was lucky because Freddy played well and was one of the few bright spots for the US. Freddy comes with lots of hype, and hopefully this gives him that kick in the azz he needs to start making his mark on the US squad

xxxvince
    xxxvince's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 156

american soccer has grown alot since last 10 years

Pokerjoe
    Pokerjoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 307

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Here is the problem with US Soccer. An average HS has about 250 male seniors. Out of those 75 are athletic enough to play sports. After the football coach picks the best 40, the basketball coach picks 10 and the baseball coach picks 15 the last 10 guys are left for the soccer team. So unless the best athletes of HS play soccer and not football or baseball nothing is going to change with the US national team in the near future.
    In SoCal, football and soccer run in different seasons. Plenty of guys play both. And you know what? Football is easier. Soccer players who have never played football go WTF and play their senior year and make all-county (I know of two, one at Oceanside, the other at Orange Glen, I think). Also, another kid who quit soccer because he wasn't getting enough playing time became instead the starting point guard on the basketball team (Kearny Mesa, I think, a few years back; soccer and basketball run concurrently here).

My son, who was the fastest kid in his class (this was at a school of 3,000 students), was begged by the football coaches to play. They called me to talk about it. Passed on it to concentrate of soccer.

And the football players who try to play soccer? You can't even put them on the field. They're gassed after about 5 minutes. All the soccer coaches in Cali know that if you have kids coming from football, they'll be useless until January.

Ochocinco is good enough to play football but he's a joke trying to play soccer.

Very, very few baseball players are good athletes (it's a sport based almost entirely on hand-eye coordination).

Basketball players, except for the guards, are just average athletes who are really tall (name one sport Shaq could have played if he was a foot shorter; he couldn't even have played HS basketball, whereas any average athletes, if 7 foot tall, would get an NBA contract).

Football players? Mostly fat turdballs who have to take a break every seven seconds, and still, even then, have to sit out half the game (no kidding; in football, guys don't play defense and offense, just one or the other; I'm not making this up). The average football player is in actual action for about 3 minutes a game, and they have to spread that 3 minutes out over 3 hours so they don't get tired.

The US is a good soccer team, it's top 20 in the world (just barely). Saying they aren't good is like saying a college basketball team that's "only" top 20 isn't good. Of course it is. Top 20 is not great, but it is good. They beat Spain when no one else could, and had 2 goal leads against Brazil and Mexico when those teams won their tourneys. You don't even get 2 goal leads without being, if not great, then at least pretty damn good. I wish they'd held those leads (I wish we had a coach who knows there are times to get 10 men behind the ball), but at least we get to say we had them on the ropes when no one else could do that much.

And this is without even mentioning that the US starts out every non-Concacaf game a goal down due to FIFA corruption. Try playing football starting out 10 points behind at the opening kickoff and see how many titles you win.

Pokerjoe
    Pokerjoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 307

Quote Originally Posted by solid152 View Post
    i would LOVE to see that happen
    First of all, "seeing that happen," meaning, the passion you'd bring to the game if that happened, is exactly why soccer fans are so passionate. Do exactly that: imagine seeing us play our favorite sport internationally, and you'll understand soccer passion.

But also then realize that if everyone else played football instead of soccer, we'd be good but not great at it. Don't forget that at this point we're losing half our young male "athletes" to fat. Have you seen an American HS? Which of those great many kids you see waddling around do you think are going to beat anyone at an athletic endeavour?

BettingGeek
    SBR PRO
    BettingGeek's Avatar Become A Pro!

I want to have sex with Hope Solo bad

The Special One
    The Special One's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Quote Originally Posted by BettingGeek View Post
    I want to have sex with Hope Solo bad
    the question is, will you score?

First 12