pozzy
    pozzy's Avatar Become A Pro!

How big is the Women's World Cup in Europe?

Anybody from Europe that can tell me how big the women's world cup is where they live? I know the men's world cup is huge so Im wondering if they get a lot of coverage and talk for womens..

justin81
    justin81's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6209

Quote Originally Posted by pozzy View Post
    Anybody from Europe that can tell me how big the women's world cup is where they live? I know the men's world cup is huge so Im wondering if they get a lot of coverage and talk for womens..
    Almost non existent in Poland, only brief highlights at the end of the sport news. Personally, I do not follow neither I am interested in it, although I know that Brazil, Germany and USA are always the favorites.

hockeyhy
    [color=rgb(0, 255, 255)][Too Long][/color]
    hockeyhy's Avatar Become A Pro!

women's anything is always a marginal sport at best

sweepem
    sweepem's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14221

In Germany the TV Ratings are pretty good. 16.95 mio(new record for a women soccer game) watched the Germany-Japan game, 6.88 mio watched England-France.

Nikfrio
    Nikfrio's Avatar Become A Pro!

In Eastern Europe/Balkans women's soccer has no popularity whatsoever. It's a different story in more developed countries like Germany though.

althelegend
    althelegend's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17312

Interest is growing. Big increase in popularity and tv coverage since last women's world cup.

truebluebear
    truebluebear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 38353

Only coverage we've had here in Scotland is from Eurosport TV , most folk here still very cynical babout womens' football , from a personal point of view its not the best to watch but money can be made at Bookies with womens football , particularly on betting "Overs" in smaller Euro Womens football leagues !!!!!!!

TheBeautifulGame
    Y.N.W.A.
    TheBeautifulGame's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1102

Here in Ireland nobody that I know of cares about it and none of the channels show it. Compare that to the last mens world cup, RTE (major Irish television station) were showing it.

Hall2Collie
    Hall2Collie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 158

Nobody cares here in England

Men's world cup was on every sports channel almost (games/previews)

TheBeautifulGame
    Y.N.W.A.
    TheBeautifulGame's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1102

I've never watched a womens football game and not that I've turned it off or I'm not interested, I've NEVER seen one on! I wouldn't mind watching at least one match (or at least a half) of the world cup that is currently going on just to see what it's like.

bird
    bird's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 84

It's pretty big here in Sweden, almost every game in the group stage was televised and they are showing every playoff game. 1 million people watched Sweden-Australia and that's like 10% of the population, obviously the men's national team get more viewers but the women's team are gaining a lot of support this year.

truebluebear

Quote Originally Posted by bird View Post
    It's pretty big here in Sweden, almost every game in the group stage was televised and they are showing every playoff game. 1 million people watched Sweden-Australia and that's like 10% of the population, obviously the men's national team get more viewers but the women's team are gaining a lot of support this year.

Yup bird - not a great fan of watching womens' football however if i was tied down and MADE to watch it I reckon Swedish Women would be high on my list of Girls to watch , ( for theyr'e great skills ofcourse ) !!!!! Good Luck bud !

thespeculator
    thespeculator's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13168

Quote Originally Posted by truebluebear View Post
    Yup bird - not a great fan of watching womens' football however if i was tied down and MADE to watch it I reckon Swedish Women would be high on my list of Girls to watch , ( for theyr'e great skills ofcourse ) !!!!! Good Luck bud !
    if you want to go by looks, the u.s team has much better looking women, start with alex morgan, just having blonde hair doesn't make you beautiful.

overall, the women's game is exciting and better than mid year baseball

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

i believe that the brazil usa game had higher ratings in germany then it did in the united states, but i would think that most countries its minor news.

truebluebear

Yup I agree but I think the US Goalkeeper Hope Solo may benefit greatly from the tournament as she seems to be a "darling" of American fans and what coverage there was will make her a "Global" brand !!!!! GL Guys !!!