RubberKettle
    RubberKettle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 791

Copa América 2011 Picks & Discussion

The tournament kicks off tomorrow as hosts Argentina begin their campaign against Bolivia at the Ciudad de La Plata, Argentina.

The tournment features some of the best young talent in world football.
    Including; Leo Messi (Barcelona)

Javier Pastore (Palermo)

Neymar (Santos)

Ganso (Santos)

Lucas Moura (Sao Paulo)

Abel Hernanez (Palermo)

Edinson Cavani (Napoli)

Alexis Sanchez (Udinese).

What to expect:

A final between Argentina and Brazil. Realistically only 3 teams can win the tournament (Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay).

GROUP A – Argentina, Bolivia, Colombia, Costa Rica
    GROUP B
    – Brazil, Venezuela, Paraguay, Ecuador
    GROUP C – Uruguay, Peru, Chile, Mexico

The top two from each group qualify plus 2 best third-placed teams.
    The tournaments runs from 1st – 24th July 2011

I will post some picks and some odds tomorrow during the day. I will also try to write a few previews on the important teams/ match-ups.

Good luck everybody

latinrus
    Pats, Pats, Pats
    latinrus's Avatar Become A Pro!

BOL my friend!

I'll be rooting for Uruguay
    Points Awarded:

Jimmy0607 gave latinrus 10 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Jimmy0607
    Jimmy0607's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 285

Uruguay!!!!

SoV
    "Why always me"
    SoV's Avatar Become A Pro!

Oi, where's Suarez?

Have Uruguay at 13/1. And them to win group at 6/4.

Come on!

courtemanche08
    courtemanche08's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

i like argentina, but it's not unrealistic for a somewhat darkhorse like chile could make a final, all over argentina -2.5 tomorrow though Bolivia is a terrible team when they travel

RubberKettle

Previews

Since today is going rather slowly and I can't wait for this tournament to start, I will write up a preview for all 12 teams.

The Title Contenders

The hosts are the odds on favorites to win. They have the best player in the world and an impressive group of attacking players. They have won the competition a joint record 14 times.

The main problem Argentina has faced since 2006 WC is how to get Leo Messi playing like hes in the Barcelona team. For Barcelona Messi plays as a false #9 in the middle of a front 3. A 4-3-3 formation might be asking to much of Argentina's midfield and it also will land Tevez (Man City), Higuain (Real Madrid), and Milito (Inter) on the bench.

The attacking talent that Argentina has selected for this tournament is astounding. To go along with those already mentioned, coach Sergio Batista can also choose from Ezequiel Lavezzi (Napoli), Angel Di Maria (Real Madrid), Javier Pastore (Palermo) and Sergio Aguero (Atl. Madrid). All these players have pace and are exceptional on the ball and can score goals. Going forward Argentina should excel, but at the back and in midfield they could find themselves stretched by the top teams as we saw in WC 2010.

The Midfield is led by Barcelona holding CDM Javier Mascherano. He will play in front of the back 4 and break up opposition attacks. Also in contention for a midfield place are;
    Ever Banega (Valencia), Esteban Cambiasso (Inter), Fernando Gago (Real Madrid), Lucas Biglia (Anderlecht).

The only major weakness for Argentina is at the back. Most of the places are up for grabs, but Batista should go with something like Javier Zanetti, Nicolas Burdisso, Gabriel Milito and Marcos Rojo. This lineup may be susceptible to pace, but if Argentina are keeping the ball and playing football these guys won't have much to do until the knock out stage.

Against the top teams Argentina will have to maintain their shape and make sure to not drop too deep as we saw in their destruction vs Germany last summer. This team is aiming to break their trophy drought which stretches back to 1993.

Brazil, the most successful nation in World football, find them selves behind Argentina and Uruguay in Copa America's won with 8. The honeymoon is over for Mano Menezes and winning this tournament is likely the only thing that will keep him as coach till WC2014 in Brazil. To please the Brazilian public he will have to win an win with style. Brazil has won the last two editions of the Copa America, beating Argentina in the final both times.

Menezes has brought a younger less defensive squad to Argentina. Upfront there is no more Luis Fabiano as he has been replaced, by the flashy talent that is Neymar. Brazil's front 3 will lineup Robinho (Milan), Neymar (Santos), Pato (Milan). These guys are fast, like super freakin fast. Lots of trickery and skills, but not a proven goal scorer at this level among them. Fred (Fluminese) may see some playing time if the games get out of hand.

Brazil will likely play two holding midfielders and a link man ahead of them. The two holding players are almost surely to be Lucas (Liverpool) and Ramirez (Chelsea). Other options in this role are Sandro (Tottenham) and Elias (Atl. Madrid). The more creative options in midfield are Ganso (Santos), Elano (Santos), Jadson (Shaktar) and Lucas Moura (Sao Paulo). Against the lesser teams we may see only one holding midfielder with two attacking players.

Brazil's defense is one of the top in the world. They have pace and strenght all the way across the line. Most likely lineup; Dani Alves (Barcelona), Lucio (Inter), Thiago Silva (Milan) and Andre Santos (Fenerbache SK). Other defenders include Maicon (Inter), Adriano (Barcelona), David Luiz (Chelsea) and Lusiao (Benfica).

The question mark for Brazil is who is going to step up on this stage and put the ball in the net. If we see the emergence of a new international star in Neymar Brazil will likely win this tournament. If we see a lot of flashy play and no end product Brazil may miss the final.

Twelve times winners Uruguay come into this tournament as many peoples favorites after their tremendous run at the World Cup. This is an experienced squad with talent and shape that can challenge Brazil an Argentina.

Oscar Tabarez, who is back after their great run at WC2010 will now have the luxury of an improved Edinson Cavani. During the WC2010 we didn't see much of Cavani, but his incredible season at Napoli has made him one of the standout strikers in all European Football. While Cavani was having his best season ever, Diego Forlan was having his worst. Forlan only managed 8 goals this year at Atletico and a recent public breakup with his Fiancee has people questioning his mindset. Alongside these two will be Liverpool's Luis Suarez. Following his much publicized move from Ajax Suarez netted 4 goals in 13 games. Other possible attackers are Abel Hernandez (Palermo) and Sebastian Abreu (Botafogo).

Uruguay will employ different formations vs. different opponents. The side is flexible and Oscar Tabarez is working with a very similar group of players. Midfielders include; Alvaro Pereira, Cristian Rodriguez (both Porto), Egidio Arevalo Rios (Botafogo), Sebastian Eguren (Real Sporting), Diego Perez (Bologna), Walter Gargano (Napoli), Alvaro Gonzalez (Lazio), Nicolas Lodeiro (Ajax).

Uruguays defense was very stout at WC2010 led by dynamic CB Diego Lugano (Fenerbahce). Also in line for starting places are Diego Godin (Atletico Madrid), Sebastian Coates (Nacional), Mauricio Victorino (Cruzeiro), Andres Scotti (Colo Colo), Martin Caceres (Sevilla), Maximiliano Pereira (Defensor Sporting).

For Uruguay to cope out on top they will have to again rely on their defense. and shape. Suarez and Forlan will look to reignite their partnership from last summer and Cavain should provide some goals.

The Darkhorses

Chile

Lots of people believe Chile are poised to make a run in this competition, but the departure of Marcelo Bielsa has cast doubt on those expectations. Bielsa famously employed the attacking 3-3-1-3 formation at last years World Cup, making Chile a fan favorite.

A lot of the weight will rest on young Alexis Sanchez shoulders as he is the standout player in this squad. Mauricio Isla will pair with him down the right and Bayer Leverkusen's Arturo Vial will provide the legs in midfield.

Colombia

Columbia have maybe the most inform striker at the Copa America in Radamel Falcao. He is coming off the best ever goal scoring season in the Europa League and a treble triumph. Falcao will partner Hugo Rodallega (Wigan) in a squad of many European based players. This squad has the makeup to get in the knockout stage, but scoring goals has been a problem lately with 3 goaless games in their last 5. An opening match against Costa Rica could be just the confidence boost they need.

Paraguay

Coach Gerardo Martino guided Paraguay to quarterfinal match up against Spain in WC2010 where they were narrowly defeated. Paraguay are a big physical side with some of superb aerial talents. Cardozo's omission aside this is a squad with attacking talent. Lucas Barrios is a quality finisher and the mountain that is Roque Santa Cruz can cause any defense problems. It remains to be see if they have the horses to play a less defense brand of football.

The Minnows

Mexico
    They are sending an Olympic squad of u-23 players. Not much is expected and Chicarito has been left out.

Ecuador
    Star player Luis Antonio Valencia will lead Ecuador alongside other notables Calciedo and Noboa. The squad has some ability, but will be stretched.

Peru
    Their run of 5 straight quarterfinal appearances seems to be in doubt after losing top attackers
    Jefferson Farfan and Claudio Pizarro.

Bolivia
    Struggle to play away from home where there is no elevation advantage. I don't know any of the players in their squad.

Venezuela
    I couldn't find their official squad, but a place in the knockout stage would be a shock.

Costa Rica
    Another under 23 Olympic squad sent from CONCACAF. I will be surprised if they record a win.
    Last edited by SBR Jonelyn; 01-20-15 at 12:57 PM.

StraitShooter
    Miami Florida
    StraitShooter's Avatar Become A Pro!

Outstanding thread you got going here!..Fantastic info!!!

latinrus
    Pats, Pats, Pats
    latinrus's Avatar Become A Pro!

Hm nice writeup!

I'm really expecting a lot of Uruguay!

I don't want Argentina to win )) Especially cause of Messi! And the success of Argentina depends a lot of the team will play for Messi like they do in Barcelona.

I still don't see a Messi carrying all the team to win the whole thing! But at least they can trust another big player like Tevez, even though Tevez is not as good as Messi, I think is one of the few players of that national team that can carry the team and make them give 100% on the field.

And I agree the back of Argentina is weak and that may let them down in knock out stage! Zanetti is good but old.
    The other 3 guys are not trustable! Burdisso is unstable a candidate for red cards, Milito is playing just for one reason, he's friend of Messi and even argentinian media is talking about that, how can a guy who barely plays in Barca be a starter in the national team?
    And for Rojo may be hard to take all the preassure.

Brazil when I see the forwards of Brazil one word comes o my mind, egoism! I don't know how they will play! Don't like this Brazil team but they u can never count down Brazil, why? cause it's Brazil.

acarmelo1
    The Panamanian Connection
    acarmelo1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1581

Great also, you forgotn to mention that 8 mexican players got suspended (for prostitution) including Giovani Dos Santos Brother, and they had to bring 8 more from Mexico.

OneTipster
    OneTipster's Avatar Become A Pro!

Awesome thread!

RubberKettle

I will use SBR book lines so everyone can play at the price I list.

Pick 1:

Argentina -2.5 (-130)

Argentina should get off to a flying start tonight in front of their home fans vs a team that does not travel very well. Look for Messi to spread the ball and create numerous chances for his attacking teammates....whoever they may be.

(All picks are bet x to win 1/ bet 1 to win x)

Overall 0-0-0 (+/-0)

Jimmy0607

Hey rubber great write up but Uruguay won it 14 times not 12 hehe

alon7777777
    alon7777777's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 854

Quote Originally Posted by RubberKettle View Post
    I will use SBR book lines so everyone can play at the price I list. Pick 1: Argentina -2.5 (-130) Argentina should get off to a flying start tonight in front of their home fans vs a team that does not travel very well. Look for Messi to spread the ball and create numerous chances for his attacking teammates....whoever they may be. (All picks are bet x to win 1/ bet 1 to win x) Overall 0-0-0 (+/-0)
    yep good pick good luck

acarmelo1
    The Panamanian Connection
    acarmelo1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1581

I took Argentina ML

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Good luck RK. Your Gold Cup thread was very useful as I am certain this one will be as well.

TT22
    TT22's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 17810

Good luck with the plays today.

RubberKettle

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy0607 View Post
    Hey rubber great write up but Uruguay won it 14 times not 12 hehe
    Yes you are correct, sorry for the error.

EaglesPhan36

Trying Falcao +1800 & Messi +315 to win the Golden Boot.

DHB
    DHB's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 867

why the hell did the mexicans leave out Chicarito?

beeps220
    beeps220's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 540

Quote Originally Posted by DHB View Post
    why the hell did the mexicans leave out Chicarito?
    Man U wants Chicharito to rest for the next 3 weeks.

EaglesPhan36

Argentina looking pretty frustrated here. They had some chances, but Bolivia has shut them down.

RubberKettle

This is embarrassing.

solid152
    solid152's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 322

lavazzio and cambiasso are the WORST. i feel bad for messi

balla05
    balla05's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 265

is this just a fluke, or is argentinas team that bad.

solid152

Lavezzi the right winger for Argentina is so ******* baddddddd

EaglesPhan36

They are gonna riot tonight. Helps one of my futures, hurts another. Ouch. If they don't come back and snag a draw, it's gonna be a blood bath.

Jimmy0607

Damn they are playing bad

solid152

goooooooooolasssssssssooooo golasso golasso. now 2 more for the over. wishful thinking i know.

gti175
    gti175's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1509

What a strike by el kun

alon7777777
    alon7777777's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 854

amazing goal by Kun

gryfyn1
    gryfyn1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

Quote Originally Posted by solid152 View Post
    Lavezzi the right winger for Argentina is so ******* baddddddd
    i watched alot of Napoli this year, and and yes Lavezzi was frustrating... more than once I though Hamsik was going to strangle him.

Rich Boy
    Rich Boy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1106

Argentina was ~90% to win, they blew it...

Unfortunately I had them ML, fvk.

Jimmy0607

Quote Originally Posted by gryfyn1 View Post
    i watched alot of Napoli this year, and and yes Lavezzi was frustrating... more than once I though Hamsik was going to strangle him.
    cavani saved napolis ass

EaglesPhan36

Totally opens the door up for Colombia to steal the group if they can work a draw with Argentina. OF course they need to take care of business against Costa Rica 1st ... but a good opening for them.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7345

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Boy View Post
    Argentina was ~90% to win, they blew it...

Unfortunately I had them ML, fvk.
    Wow. That's a lot of juice to lay in an opening match with argentina unable to prove themselves for a long time. They will grow slowly but against teams like bolivia who soak up pressure it was probably best taking bolivia +2.5/3.

1234 Last