maersksealand
    maersksealand's Avatar Become A Pro!

41 match-fixing allegations in Greece

Greek authorities vowed on Thursday to get to the bottom of an unfolding match-fixing scandal after 10 people were arrested as part of a probe based on irregular betting patterns identified by European soccer's ruling body UEFA.
    An Athens prosecutor is expected to name the 10 suspects, all Greek nationals, later on Thursday. Charges include betting fraud, money laundering and participation in a criminal group, police said.
    Christos Papoutsis, minister of citizens' protection, said on Thursday that the police would “decisively” investigate any claims of graft within Greek soccer.
    “I want to call on all responsible parties, clubs and every citizen that is truly interested in cleaning up Greek soccer to provide the police with information that can cast light on all aspects of this affair,” Papoutsis said in a statement.
    The probe was launched after UEFA, European soccer's governing body, submitted a list of 41 suspicious matches to the Hellenic Football Federation (EPO). The list involved games from the Super League, Greece's top flight, as well the second division over the last three seasons. Several Greek Cup games were also mentioned in the document.
    Deputy Citizens’ Protection Minister Manolis Othonas connected the probe to Greece's ongoing struggle to clamp down on corruption, a drive seen as tantamount in tackling the country's mammoth debt crisis.
    “This affair is of paramount importance,” Othonas said. “There will be no tolerance, no exceptions and no compromise. This is what the whole of Greek society is demanding, not just people linked to football,” he said.
    “We are living in a new era in our country, where pockets of lawlessness and corruption that until recently were considered no-go areas or had high-level connections and protection no longer enjoy informal immunity,” he added.

minet123
    Is JJ a Higher Power ?
    minet123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3753

I was probably on the other side of every match

pouroupoupou
    pouroupoupou's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

Olympiakos Volou owner arrested
    Kavala's owner managed to travel abroad but his son is arrested.
    Ilioupoli's owner arrested too. These three are accused for fixing games for betting purposes
    Olympiakos (Greek champion) owner faces charges for match fixing too. It is not for betting reason though he just wanted to win the championship...
    Olympiakos and national team defender Papadopoulos and Aris player Memdrinos are accused for betting scandal too.

As for the second division the authorities say that almost every single match of this league was fixed

TT22
    TT22's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 18014

Can't say that I'm surprised.

ThaWoj
    hope i dont wake up tomorrow
    ThaWoj's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3427

yep its like horse racing. u just hope whichever horse u bet on is the one they bet on

wtf
    wtf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

i used to live in greece

i would be surprised if they did NOT fix the games

Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

That's one way to save the economy there.

spankie
    Long Live Rodney!
    spankie's Avatar Become A Pro!

soccer is garbage.

saqasa
    saqasa's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 81

Soccer is a wonderful world for "good" cappers

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

You just need to get the info before the offshore books here in the WH get it and move the lines.