eleuropeano
    eleuropeano's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1924

US National Soccer Team

Donovan, Dempsey, Bocanegra, Howard, the whole is team is just classy, hard-working guys. Great role models. Those guys should be more famous.

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

I wouldn't call Donovan a role model....he's pulled some scumbag moves with his ex....Dempsey by all means

Wiggums5
    The Wiggler
    Wiggums5's Avatar Become A Pro!

Usa...usa!

VegasInsider
    Update your status
    VegasInsider's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Everyone will get excited for USA soccer for another week then forget all about it (besides those of us that actually follow it)

I love my country, but I HATE watching this team play. It's not a very exciting brand of soccer.

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

I'm really surprised Freddy Adu got some playing time....if there's ever been someone who's been hyped with zero to show for it, it's Adu

Ace_of_Spades
    Golazo De Riverrrr!
    Ace_of_Spades's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

Dempsey sucks.

jkilla990
    jkilla990's Avatar Become A Pro!

the whole team is a joke its all US propaganda until the next world cup and they are exposed yet again for the frauds they are. They can't beat any semi decent team on the world stage and watching them play is a joke.

eleuropeano

Actually, I was just reading some interesting stats. Apparently the average attendance in MLS games is higher than NBA and NHL. Of course, by design it is easier to get more people on a stadium than in an indoor arena, but still... progress is being made.

I agree it is not the most exciting brand of soccer. They obviously dont have the technical abilities, but they always hussle hard. And then again, for many people, the most exciting brand of soccer is winning :-)

jgray
    jgray's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 244

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Sanchez View Post
    I'm really surprised Freddy Adu got some playing time....if there's ever been someone who's been hyped with zero to show for it, it's Adu
    Dude wasn't half bad tonight either.

eleuropeano

Quote Originally Posted by jkilla990 View Post
    the whole team is a joke its all US propaganda until the next world cup and they are exposed yet again for the frauds they are. They can't beat any semi decent team on the world stage and watching them play is a joke.
    Little harsh here I think, the World Cup is the most competitive sporting event in the world. Obviously they haven't made a big breakthrough, but making it to the elimination phase should at least be given credit for good effort.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Its garbage

This is not a real tourney

We are bad

KKoz9
    KKoz9's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

Have to agree with the comment about Donavan, he is an a$$ who just wants to be famous so bad...

pacers101
    pacers101's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 156

I'm all for the USA but they are frustrating to watch. they keep going backwards. isn't the object of the game is to go towards the opponents goal and get the ball in the net. so why do they keep going towards their own goal. they don't attack. their footwork is horrible too, when they pass the ball the receiver needs a second to corral or control the ball which leads to the D being able to catch up and get set. so there is no flow to the offense then they'll just kick it in the backfield again. this is really the first time I've followed soccer(I needed to find something to make money on after college BBall this year) so I'm a noob to soccer, I'll admit, and maybe I got spoiled because most of my exposure to soccer thus far is from spain and england but this is crazy frustrating to watch.

FindTheLock
    FindTheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

The US national team is only going to disappoint you if you're comparing them to Spain's National team. If you're comparing them to Madrid or Barcelona then they will really look silly. Some of the US soccer players are not exposed to quality opponents very often because they play in the MLS, and that is one of the many reasons the US team can't pass the ball to one another very well, or keep their attack moving forward. This tournament has a bunch of lowly punching bags in it, and the US team is just barely good enough to beat them.

pinnerpsk
    pinnerpsk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 439

We have to beat Mex. I can't stand losing to those border hoppers.

$Burm$
    $Burm$'s Avatar Become A Pro!

freddy did ok today..was pleasantly surprised.....chandler pleeassseee stay with the US!!!

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

They are not that famous because they are not that good on the world stage.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: jarvol

birdmanweezy
    $$$ Fly In Any Weather $$$
    birdmanweezy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1849

dempsy is the man

jetsjets1028
    jetsjets1028's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1363

usa!!! btw HOW BOUT THEM BRUINS!! WOO!!! saw game 4 of stanley cup finals just saw parade amazing. hockey by far best sport

vitalyo
    vitalyo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 40

Dog food for the Europeans .

odtw524
    odtw524's Avatar Become A Pro!

America Fukk yeah!

craigpb
    craigpb's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8006

Have a shot to beat Mexico with the way they are playing now. Until we get a star to develop better get used to this. A lot of guys with potential are playing other sports unlike in most countries.

hubie69
    I am JJs bookie
    hubie69's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 617

The US team played like ass the last 3-4 games. They need somebody who can finish, especially in the games vs guatalupe and Jamaica. The amount squandered chances, guys just dont seem to want to shoot the ball.

Phillth
    Phillth's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 44

anyone watch the u-17 match against uzbekistan. we have nothing to look forward to with the national team.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

I find it remarkable how far they have come with so few of the players even playing in major leagues. If the US would ever truly embrace the soccer culture and make it a primary sport, it would be just a matter of time before they lifted the World Cup. But that won't happen. Soccer is and will always be a secondary sport here. So give these guys some credit. Of course they can't hold their own against the world's best. What do you expect? But their team spirit and never-say-die attitude has earned them admiration in true soccer countries. I've heard them called 'the little Mannschaft' (the little Germany) there.

FishFace5
    FishFace5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 815

Bob Bradley needs to go period. Program has gone backwards since he's been in charge. Also Altidor for all his talents, is a lazy player and hurts us up top.
    Some of the posts in this thread are kind of comical. Its so obvious the guys who actually know the team and the posters who are trying to pretend.
    Post #13, #14 and #25 should have been qualified with the following statement:
    "I have never played or even watched soccer but here is my blind and ignorant opinion on this matter....."

beeps220
    beeps220's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 540

Quote Originally Posted by Phillth View Post
    anyone watch the u-17 match against uzbekistan. we have nothing to look forward to with the national team.
    I watched that, we are pathetic.

All this talk about how great the US team is doing.... They're struggling in a tournament where they were expected to get to the finals.

FishFace5

Quote Originally Posted by beeps220 View Post
    I watched that, we are pathetic. All this talk about how great the US team is doing.... They're struggling in a tournament where they were expected to get to the finals.
    ..... and they are in the finals.
    Offensively the team is clearly struggling to finish but defensively is playing a solid game.
    Howard is world class in the goal and was rarely challenged throughout this tournament

hubie69
    I am JJs bookie
    hubie69's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 617

Quote Originally Posted by FishFace5 View Post

..... and they are in the finals.
    Offensively the team is clearly struggling to finish but defensively is playing a solid game.
    Howard is world class in the goal and was rarely challenged throughout this tournament
    concacaf is shitty outside of Mexico. My nephews team of 5 year olds could have a couple of shut outs in the concacaf. The best team there is Mexico and they got busted for pissing dirty.

In that game vs Guadalupe, did anyone else thing that Dempsy was on the take? How many shots did he miss that he should have made? What a joke.

Altidores shot in that game was a rocket though.

FishFace5

Concacaf is weak, no argument from me. The idea that all the teams outside of the US and Mexico are somehow little league is exaggerated though.
    The idea we get dominated and embarrassed on an international level is also exaggerated.
    Are we a top 10 team? no we are not. But that doesnt mean we havent had some great performances and it doesnt mean we are miles away either.
    We had an exceptional W.C. tune-up tourney and a respectable W.C.
    Sure we got spanked by Spain in the most recent friendly but we beat them in the previous game and this is the team that won the whole world cup. There is reason to be optimistic.

pacers101
    pacers101's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 156

Quote Originally Posted by FishFace5 View Post
    Bob Bradley needs to go period. Program has gone backwards since he's been in charge. Also Altidor for all his talents, is a lazy player and hurts us up top.
    Some of the posts in this thread are kind of comical. Its so obvious the guys who actually know the team and the posters who are trying to pretend.
    Post #13, #14 and #25 should have been qualified with the following statement:
    "I have never played or even watched soccer but here is my blind and ignorant opinion on this matter....."
    forgot to add post#26 to that list. but if you think watching them kick the ball back and forth to each other on THEIR side of the field the whole game is exciting, well, yea I guess one of us is blind and ignorant.

FishFace5

^^
    HA. I apologize for throwing a lil jab your way.
    You admitted you're new to the sport, maybe I should have gone easy on you.
    Not for nothing though, your analysis was horrendous and your post was poorly put together.
    First and foremost soccer is not about blindly attacking the goal, no top teams play this way. Also you cant complain in one post that the USA cant control the ball and then in your next post bitch about how all they do is possess the ball in there own end. The statements contradict each other.

bbenson011
    bbenson011's Avatar Become A Pro!

love the usa guys...go yanks

drgonzo111
    drgonzo111's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 464

The gold cup is definitely a weak tourney to win, but the advancement to the condeferations cup is the same as elsewhere. General consensus is that mexico is the best team here, and based on everything so far I can't really argue against that. Still, US has a chance, and wins against mexico should never be dismissed as half ass. Hope they can pull it off.

macoeric
    Update your status
    macoeric's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8059

Donovan is pretty famous isn't he?
    I remember seeing him on tons of talk shows after the World Cup

12 Last