mrpapageorgio
    mrpapageorgio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3869

Thoughts on Doing a Bitcoin Transaction Sub-Forum?

One of the things I notice a lot on the forums is people complain about trying to obtain Bitcoin or sell it for funding the books for one reason or another. Has there been any discussion about setting up a sub-forum where people can post asking to buy/sell their bitcoin (almost like how people do Bet Point loans now)? Make it open to Pros only to help reduce the risk of scammers. SBR isn't involved in the transaction except maybe acting as escrow if they wish to get involved. Otherwise, you post offering to buy/sell your bitcoin and the parties can PM each other (or post publicly for the sake of showing each side is legit if they choose) to negotiate terms and how to exchange the money/bitcoin.

Nice way to serve as a f.u. to the exchanges that charge their exorbitant fees and might be easier to buy/sell for those not as technologically sophisticated.

Thoughts?

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

Quote Originally Posted by mrpapageorgio View Post
    One of the things I notice a lot on the forums is people complain about trying to obtain Bitcoin or sell it for funding the books for one reason or another. Has there been any discussion about setting up a sub-forum where people can post asking to buy/sell their bitcoin (almost like how people do Bet Point loans now)? Make it open to Pros only to help reduce the risk of scammers. SBR isn't involved in the transaction except maybe acting as escrow if they wish to get involved. Otherwise, you post offering to buy/sell your bitcoin and the parties can PM each other (or post publicly for the sake of showing each side is legit if they choose) to negotiate terms and how to exchange the money/bitcoin.

Nice way to serve as a f.u. to the exchanges that charge their exorbitant fees and might be easier to buy/sell for those not as technologically sophisticated.

Thoughts?
    This is just my opinion as I wouldn't be involved in making the final decision on this but considering we don't even allow posters discussing conducting financial transactions with each other let alone making them anywhere on the forum or via PM, I suspect SBR wouldn't want anything to do with posters conducting Bitcoin transactions amongst each other. It's bad enough with people wanting us to interject in Betpoint loan disputes!

mrpapageorgio

Quote Originally Posted by shari91 View Post
    This is just my opinion as I wouldn't be involved in making the final decision on this but considering we don't even allow posters discussing conducting financial transactions with each other let alone making them anywhere on the forum or via PM, I suspect SBR wouldn't want anything to do with posters conducting Bitcoin transactions amongst each other. It's bad enough with people wanting us to interject in Betpoint loan disputes!
    Have there that bad of Betpoint loan disputes? (Keep in mind, I'm still a relative rookie to some of the people that post here). I just notice a lot of times in the Bitcoin sub-forum we have to keep explaining ad-nauseum issues on how to buy/sell/transfer with an exchange, so figured it might be something worth considering to cut down on the bs on the exchanges.

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

Quote Originally Posted by mrpapageorgio View Post
    Have there that bad of Betpoint loan disputes? (Keep in mind, I'm still a relative rookie to some of the people that post here). I just notice a lot of times in the Bitcoin sub-forum we have to keep explaining ad-nauseum issues on how to buy/sell/transfer with an exchange, so figured it might be something worth considering to cut down on the bs on the exchanges.
    Absolutely massive Betpoint disputes. A couple were so bad that we actually had to intervene a few years ago and ban people/confiscate points/etc. These days people still contact us about them but they typically learn quickly that we won't get involved, we don't condone loans, we won't allow people to beg for Betpoints, we won't allow them to ask for points anywhere outside of the Betpoints forum but still the complaints come. That's how much we've regulated something as seemingly innocuous as made up points on a gambling forum. Imagine the mayhem if Bitcoin transactions were involved. You have to remember who the membership of this forum is... as I have to remind myself of constantly and I admittedly one of them: People who gamble and are always looking for an edge to make a buck. Whether that be hitting an obviously bad line, trying to bonus whore, etc... We'd only be opening ourselves up for a world of hurt amongst people who threaten to kill each other over the equivalent of $2 in Betpoints. Your idea has merit for sure but I suspect the scamming, admin and trouble shooting of all it would outweigh the benefits in this type of environment. Not saying it wouldn't work on a different platform though!

mrpapageorgio

Quote Originally Posted by shari91 View Post
    Absolutely massive Betpoint disputes. A couple were so bad that we actually had to intervene a few years ago and ban people/confiscate points/etc. These days people still contact us about them but they typically learn quickly that we won't get involved, we don't condone loans, we won't allow people to beg for Betpoints, we won't allow them to ask for points anywhere outside of the Betpoints forum but still the complaints come. That's how much we've regulated something as seemingly innocuous as made up points on a gambling forum. Imagine the mayhem if Bitcoin transactions were involved. You have to remember who the membership of this forum is... as I have to remind myself of constantly and I admittedly one of them: People who gamble and are always looking for an edge to make a buck. Whether that be hitting an obviously bad line, trying to bonus whore, etc... We'd only be opening ourselves up for a world of hurt amongst people who threaten to kill each other over the equivalent of $2 in Betpoints. Your idea has merit for sure but I suspect the scamming, admin and trouble shooting of all it would outweigh the benefits in this type of environment. Not saying it wouldn't work on a different platform though!
    Local Bitcoins has its advantages; but when selling, it's a PITA to have a pay a fee to deposit Bitcoin with them (their justification being to help reduce spam transactions on the network. That's why I'd rather do something here. I would hope the pros could behave if something here were setup, but if you're saying that doesn't happen, maybe not. But just an idea to throw out there.