Mudcat
    Mudcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

NFL Odds & Scores archive - I'm having a problem

And I am fully prepared to be have it pointed out that I am doing something extremely dumb and creating my own problems but here's the story:

I can't look at any archives for last NFL season. When I click on a gameday on the calendar I just get a big page of techie gobbledy-gook with the heading "Server Error in '/' Application.

If I click on a day where there was no game, I get the regular looking display (but obviously with no scores/odds. It just says "No Archived Games for this Date.") No jumble of techie errors for those days.

I started this particular data collection a little while back and it was sailing smoothly. I was part way into 9/16/07. But now I'd like to continue and I can't access anything for the whole season.

I see last year's college archives are working okay. Is something up with the NFL?

Ganchrow
    Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
    Ganchrow's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1088

Good catch.

Our inimitable tech guys are on it as even as I type this.

Mudcat

Looks like it's partially back. On quick inspection, some gamedays appear to have all the data again.

I see that some gamedays are now blank. i.e. - there is no error message just, "No Archived Games for this Date."

Does that mean the data is gone forever or do I just need to hold my horses and wait?

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110
    Bill Dozer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21705

Mud,
    Coming in late in the discussion here...Can you link to the page you are on?

Mudcat

I'm not sure what would be most useful to you but I'll see if I can get my thinking across:

Here is the general page I'm starting from for Sept. 2007, the start of last season.

Okay now when I click on the Sunday of week 1 (Sept. 9/07) here I get "no archived games for this date." I already have the data I want from that day from before but it looks like it is gone now.

Same with the Monday night games of Sept. 10, I see. Not there at the moment.

From there I scan through the season, clicking dates, and I see most of the Sundays have games. And every spot test I have tried shows the line movement data is also there. Example. So that is good.

But most of the Mondays are missing. Random example.

I haven't even tried to look up and check the freak game nights yet. Thursdays, Saturdays etc.

And then it looks like Sundays stop having info starting week 12, Nov. 25th. That continues through the end of the regular season.

And another quick check just now shows some playoffs are missing.

So that's the general picture. Just wondering if those blanks are going to be filled in.

If this ends up being something stupid like me just needing to clear my cookies or something - which would be consistent with a lot of my life experience - then I will have to seriously consider killing myself.

Mudcat

I would really appreciate some kind of response on this. Is the missing data gone forever? Should I be worried about the data that is there now being compromised? Am I doing something wrong?

Even if you just tell me you don't know but you're not going to do anything else with it, that would be something.

Sean
    Sean's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
    I would really appreciate some kind of response on this. Is the missing data gone forever? Should I be worried about the data that is there now being compromised? Am I doing something wrong?

Even if you just tell me you don't know but you're not going to do anything else with it, that would be something.
    Mud ... we've made a lot of changes to servers, databases, configurations, etc. recently and its quite possible that some older data has gone missing ... perhaps just "misplaced". If you'll give me a couple of days, I'll see what our guys can find out about this. Looks like it's just that opening weekend from '07 that's missing, right?

Mudcat

No, it is not just week 1 Sunday that is missing. Most of the Mondays are missing. And then all of the Sundays from week 12 (Nov. 25th) through the end of the season are missing. There are playoff games that are missing. I haven't checked for Thursday/Saturday games.

And then within each given Sunday, I don't know for a fact that all the games are there. I also haven't checked that the scores are right or anything like that. I have just scanned the situation at this point.

Closer inspection is something that could be done. It would take some time. But I didn't know if maybe you could just magically click on UNDO a couple of times and everything would revert to how it was a few weeks ago. (We Luddites actually imagine things like that are possible.)

On the other hand there also wouldn't be much point taking the time to compile a comprehensive list of what is missing if you know that everything is gone and there is no way to get it back.

cobra_king
    cobra_king's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 36721

I too hope this gets resolved favorably. I've used the databanks many times and would hate to hear that some of the data has gone missing forever. I haven't gone looking through other sports but if this happenned with NFL data, it quite possibly would apply to other sports as well.

Mudcat

I agree CK. I am not trying to be a prick here by badgering about this but it is worrisome.

People like us who do reseach using these kinds of data collections are fussy about consistency of method - and rightly so. The integrity of data is everything.

For me, the NFL is the smallest sport for straight betting. I don't care that much about it but I am focusing on it because the season is rapidly approaching.

But you are right to make the point that there could be larger implications. I'll soon be starting in on last NHL season, then NBA, then college hoops. I went them all done and crunched before the respective new seasons begin. I'm going to be busy.

But if there is a chance something is awry, I would really appreciate being informed about it.

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110

will follow up on the follow up...

durito
    escarabajo negro
    durito's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 438

The NCAA archive for this week is missing:

Saturday 8/30/2008:

Washington @ Oregon
    Idaho @ Arizona
    Utah St. @ UNLV
    Illinois @ Missouri

Sunday 8/31/2008 (all games)

Colorado/Colorado St.
    Kentucky @ Lousiville

The Saturday day games were all late night games. I've noticed them missing in the past as well.

cobra_king

Any updates on this?

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110

It looks like earliest we will be able to pull the missing data is Monday AM. We will keep on it.

cobra_king

As far as i can tell this is still not working properly. From 2007, I can't access Sunday September 9th, Sunday November 25th, none of the monday nite games, except October 15th. Two of the Thanksgiving days are missing also. I didn't bother to go through all of the December games, however I'm sure you get my drift. I'm assuming this still hasn't been fixed?

Also, i noticed that the last week of MLB hasn't been archived either. From September 20th to the 25th 2008.

Any updates?