dlowilly
    dlowilly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 192573

Settle down people

Like Kermit said, he was released from the hospital and flew back with the team. Probably sipped a few Hennesys on the flight.

I hear all this stuff about a short week, but what about the extra 3 days of rest the next week? Doesn't that count for something?

dollarbill
    dollarbill's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1230

Quote Originally Posted by Enkhbat View Post
    They should have given Tua a bye week, TNF isn't going away. They should have the TNF for teams that had bye week.

gets my 2 votes....

mama whoiscrying
    mama whoiscrying's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 66

Is Tua a pansy ass liberal democrat or a Republican?

If he's is a pansy ass liberal democrat, I must side with Ivan Drago...."If he dies, he dies."

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47501

No chance OP, TNF is not going anywhere.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Its football and part of the game

Very dangerous

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

It’s not going to end but it was a dumb idea anyways. Opening game and thanksgiving is all it should be. They do film Monday of the Sunday game off Tuesday and then one practice. All about greed. They could have the games Friday. High school football season barely interferes with nfl. They think ratings would be less Friday than Thursday, that’s why it doesn’t happen
    Last edited by thetrinity; 09-30-22 at 06:39 AM.

TommieGunshot
    TommieGunshot's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6350

Should never have a team play Thursday after playing on Sunday.

Open the season with two Thursday night games. Two of those teams then play Thursday week two.

Week three and four have two Monday night games replace the Thursday games.

Byes make it easy to schedule for October and November.

Thanksgiving can be the one exception.

December prime time games can move to Saturday once college football ends.

Could also make the schedule 19 weeks with two bye weeks.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

All of Monday morning quarterback’s talking all over the place now on TV it’s ridiculous

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7684

Have never liked the Thursday night game. Its usually a bad product as well but the NFL players are dummies.

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47501

Quote Originally Posted by thetrinity View Post
    It’s not going to end but it was a dumb idea anyways. Opening game and thanksgiving is all it should be. They do film Monday of the Sunday game off Tuesday and then one practice. All about greed. They could have the games Friday. High school football season barely interferes with nfl. They think ratings would be less Friday than Thursday, that’s why it doesn’t happen
    Entertain the fans...these guys get paid enough.

Have games every night of the week.

pologq
    When you are SBR you are SBR 4 Life
    pologq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5971

Quote Originally Posted by Foxx View Post
    Should've made it a 18 week / 16 game / 2 bye season with every team playing one Thursday night game with one of the byes before that game.
    this would work. all byes before the TNF game.

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11139

Quote Originally Posted by pologq View Post
    this would work. all byes before the TNF game.
    Are you going to have teams take byes at the beginning of the season? That won’t sit well. Teams are going to get screwed going to London, playing on Thursdays, traveling cross country. Impossible to be fair. Football is a dangerous sport. HS kids die on the field playing football every season. Many are paralyzed as well. It’s just not well published.

Foxx
    Foxx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11854

Quote Originally Posted by pologq;[URL="tel:31009560"
    31009560[/URL]]this would work. all byes before the TNF game.
    I guess you can't have a bye week 1 or week 2 though if your Thursday game is week 2 or 3. Either way, it's all for nothing as we are stuck with how it is for many years. The playing Sunday then again Thursday does seem to present safety and product quality issues. You would think there would be a better way.

BuckyOne
    BuckyOne's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19261

Quote Originally Posted by Foxx View Post
    Should've made it a 18 week / 16 game / 2 bye season with every team playing one Thursday night game with one of the byes before that game.
    Great idea!

Mike Huntertz
    Mike Huntertz's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22592

Quote Originally Posted by jrgum3 View Post
    I have never liked Thursday Night football because I think that the short week is incredibly difficult on the players especially after playing a grueling game just 4 days earlier on Sunday. That said I don't think it's going anywhere because there's too much money involved.
    These guyz are all millionaires, suck it up buttercup.
    A guy working in a foundry or someone cleaning beds in a hospital gets my sympathy.
    You don't like playing on Thursday? Go get another job where you get Thursday off.....good luck with that.
    Flippin' burgers on Thursday night should be less stressful on these pansies.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: JAKEPEAVY21

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32279

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    Coaches cannot sit a player that is medically cleared. That's against NFL rules. If they are cleared to play, they won't be on the injury report. The big question the NFLPA asked was if Tua was ever properly in concussion protocol. This will certainly be investigated. Coaches coach. They are not medical professionals and cannot diagnose injuries. They rely on the medical staff to tell them who can go and who cannot.
    Post the NFL rules link that you allude to please.
    I want to see where in the rules that state Tua had to start last night because he was cleared to play.

I can't find it.
    Where in the rules or the most recent PA contract does it say that?

stevenash

Players play. They do not pull themselves often. If they do, they end up losing their position. Most guys will try to hide a concussion until they can't walk/talk straight. This is their livelihood.
    Plenty of players in the past have pulled themselves due to dizziness or injuries.
    I have, I was in a catcher, I've pulled myself out of a game once when I took a high elbow to the temple in a collision.
    I was blacked out for maybe four seconds, got up, almost fell down from dizziness, told the coach, he pulled me, following Sunday I caught both ends of a double header after it was deemed I had to head trauma. I did not lose my job.

Just curious, what sport have you played on an organized level?
    D1? D2? AAU? Anything?

VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20445

And in 15 years when he kills himself, they'll find he had CTE.

stevenash

^
    I still think a HC can start or bench a player for any reason, I still believe there is no such rule until proven otherwise.
    I can't find one.

uup115
    uup115's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3146

Quote Originally Posted by stake1 View Post
    two brain traumas in 4 days. Amazon paying billions for the next ten years, but what happened tonight could change things with the union
    The NFL players union is a joke run by a stooge.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by uup115 View Post
    The NFL players union is a joke run by a stooge.
    Not to mention the Commissioner is pure evil.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

I think they should do a 20 week 18 game season 2 byes one of the "byes" you have to play thursday, the other time you get 2 weeks between games. Remember it's a union, so they have to make it somewhat equal, even though it's a pretty crappy union. Don't count the first week as a week and the last week no thursday game. Could use thanksgiving as a time for the extra games too. I dont have it completely worked out in my head, but they could do this reasonably, or something along those lines.
    Last edited by thetrinity; 09-30-22 at 01:51 PM.

stevenash

From Today's Athletic (9/30)

Sorry for the cut and paste job, if I link it you need a subscription to read it.
    (And if you don't have a subscription, why the hell not)?

https://theathletic.com/3631317/2022...mpaign=5157328

When Miami Dolphins quarterback Tua Tagovailoa appeared to suffer a head injury in Sunday’s game against the Buffalo Bills, it raised questions about the NFL’s concussion protocol. Tagovailoa hit his head on the turf after being pushed by Bills linebacker Matt Milano. Grabbing his helmet with both hands and slowly gathering himself off the turf, Tagovailoa then stumbled and had to be held up by teammates.

Shortly after the game, the NFL Players Association announced it was launching an investigation into Miami’s decision to allow Tagovailoa to return. The league said Wednesday that he underwent proper concussion protocol, however, the NFLPA’s investigation remains ongoing.
    Tagovailoa then started Thursday’s Week 4 game against the Bengals only to be taken off the field on a stretcher in the second quarter after being slammed hard to the turf. He was taken to a local hospital with what the team called neck and head injuries.
    How does the league’s concussion protocol work and who has the final say about when a player returns to the field? We break it down.
    What happens when a player appears to suffer a head injury?

The NFL has a board of independent and NFL-affiliated physicians and scientists, including advisers for the NFL Players Association known as the NFL head, neck and spine committee. This committee developed the league’s concussion protocol in 2011 but review and update it each year to ensure the “most up-to-date medical consensus on the identification, diagnosis, and treatment of concussions.”
    If the team’s medical staff feels any player is at risk of a concussion, they are required to pull the player to the sideline and into the medical tent for a focused neurological exam. The exam includes a cervical spine exam (including range of motion and pain), an evaluation of speech, observation of gait, and an eye movement and pupillary exam. If the player displays signs of any loss of consciousness, gross motor inability, confusion or amnesia, team medical staff are not permitted to let the player return to action.
    Who has final say about the player’s status?

Each step of the league’s concussion protocol is determined by a team physician in consultation with an unaffiliated neurotrauma consultant on the sideline.

What are the five steps of the protocol?

Once sidelined under the NFL’s protocol, a player must complete the return-to-participation program, which includes five phases.

Phase 1, symptom-limited activity: The player is prescribed resting, limiting, or if necessary, avoiding activities that increase or aggravate symptoms. Under athletic training staff supervision, limited stretching and balance training can be introduced, progressing to light aerobic exercise, all as tolerated.
    Phase 2, aerobic exercise: Under the supervision of team staff, players should begin graduated cardiovascular exercise and may also engage in dynamic stretching and balancing training.
    Phase 3, football-specific exercise: The player continues supervised cardiovascular exercises that are increased and may mimic sport-specific activities, and supervised strength training is introduced.
    Phase 4, non-contact training drills: The player is encouraged to continue cardiovascular, strength and balance training, team-based sports-specific exercise and participate in non-contact football activities.
    Phase 5, full football activity/clearance: The player is finally cleared by the club doctor for full football activity involving contact. The player must be examined by the independent neurological consultant assigned to his club. If the consultant agrees with the club physician that the player’s concussion has resolved, he may participate in his team’s next practice or game.
    How long are players in the protocol?

Each player and concussion is unique and there is no set time frame for returning to the field. Team medical staff consider the player’s current concussive injury, past exposures and medical history, family history and future risk in managing a player’s care.
    Until the player is cleared by the independent consultant, he may not return to contact practice or play in an NFL game.
    What about those padded helmets? Did they help prevent concussions?

The 2022 preseason was the first time that players from all 32 NFL teams wore the Guardian Cap. All offensive and defensive linemen, tight ends and linebackers were required to wear the padded shell on their helmets in practices up until the second preseason game.

Laboratory testing conducted ahead of the Guardian Cap requirement concluded the reduction in the severity of head impacts would be meaningful. Data from the preseason affirms that conclusion: The position groups required to wear Guardian Cap during the mandated period in the preseason saw a more than 50 percent reduction in concussions versus a previous three-year average (2018, 2019, 2021; the anomalous 2020 season is excluded). There was no increase in concussions among the position groups wearing Guardian Caps after the mandated period ended.
    How does the league plan to investigate?

The review that the NFLPA has announced will include interviews with all parties involved (Tagovailoa, team doctors, trainers and coaches) to ensure proper steps were taken. A medical report will have been filed that the NFLPA will also review before a make a determination as to whether appropriate steps were followed.

Mac4Lyfe

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Just curious, what sport have you played on an organized level?
    D1? D2? AAU? Anything?
    I played football at Florida... What pussy player do you know that pulled themselves out of a game? Sure, guys walk off the field all the time injured but most guys cannot wait to get back out there. Coaches/trainers have to take their helmets to keep them from going back out there. Tua was cleared to play. Why would he not play?

Mac4Lyfe

^
    I still think a HC can start or bench a player for any reason, I still believe there is no such rule until proven otherwise.
    I can't find one.
    Of course a HC can bench a player at any time BUT they had Tua active on the game status report, the practice report and the in game injury report. None of the reports said he had a head injury. Tua had no symptoms of concussion until he got concussed. He was playing well Why would the coaches hold him out?

stevenash

Of course a HC can bench a player at any time BUT they had Tua active on the game status report, the practice report and the in game injury report. None of the reports said he had a head injury. Tua had no symptoms of concussion until he got concussed. He was playing well Why would the coaches hold him out?

I hear you, I just can't find that particular rule.

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3329

they just fired the doctor who evaluated TUA in the BUFF game.

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3329

The unaffiliated neurotrauma consultant involved in clearing Miami Dolphins quarterback Tua Tagovailoa during the game Sunday against the Buffalo Bills has been fired after it was found he made "several mistakes" in his evaluation, sources told ESPN.A source said the NFL Players Association exercised its right to dismiss the consultant. The NFLPA and the league each have the right to fire a UNC without agreement from the other party.

Mac4Lyfe

I hear you, I just can't find that particular rule.
    There is something in the CBA. I can't find it. But basically protecting players from being fukked by teams trying to hurt them hitting contract incentives/escalators. They were talking about it last year when Baker Mayfield appeared to be hurt every week but the Browns kept playing him. He was in contract year.

stevenash

There is something in the CBA. I can't find it. But basically protecting players from being fukked by teams trying to hurt them hitting contract incentives/escalators. They were talking about it last year when Baker Mayfield appeared to be hurt every week but the Browns kept playing him. He was in contract year.

All good, 98 times out of 100 your word is good, you get the benefit of the doubt.
    I wasn't calling you out per se, I was just curious as to where it was in writing, I know the rules book well, I don't really know the collectivize bargaining legalize all that well.

*side note*
    I hardly hate on you, you're a lot like me, highly opinionated, so take my words with a grain of salt sometimes.
    I like to speak my mind too.

Best of luck.
    Points Awarded:

Mac4Lyfe gave stevenash 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Mac4Lyfe

^ I don't know how they use the CBA sometimes and then the NFL rulebook? It's sorta ridiculous. Aaron Donald bashes guys over the head with 2 helmets and the NFL says they can't do anything because of a CBA rule? WTF? They said the Browns could not prevent Mayfield from coming into the facility when they were trying to trade him? Why not? Then they change the CBA whenever they like. Seems like the NFL just does what they think is best at the time. Make up shit as they go. Which is why I think most people hate Goodell.

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30698

Someone said NFL concussion protocol would have let JFK back into the parade.

First 12