Madison
    Madison's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13581

Sanity check

Is anyone making solid $$?

I'm 3 years in of my latest deposit ($600). My balance is $575. So, I've spent 3 partial years of my life, and countless hours. I'm getting weary. My wife says "Oh you're having fun so keep playing". My nature given decades of gambling is not to have fun, but to make $$. I would bet more in 1 night than I do now in a year. Don't get old.

Keep in mind I spent decades as a pari-mutual winner. I'm just questioning my ROI, and whether I should be spending time elsewhere?

Best to all!!

BOA12
    BOA12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2047

Quote Originally Posted by Madison View Post

I'm 3 years in of my latest deposit ($600). My balance is $575. So, I've spent 3 partial years of my life, and countless hours. I'm getting weary. My wife says "Oh you're having fun so keep playing". My nature given decades of gambling is not to have fun, but to make $$. I would bet more in 1 night than I do now in a year. Don't get old.

Keep in mind I spent decades as a pari-mutual winner. I'm just questioning my ROI, and whether I should be spending time elsewhere?

Best to all!!
    My dad use to say I broke even today (at the track) and had a good day. Your wife says having fun so keep playing. You've had a good three years of fun and happiness? That's Natures way of telling you somethings right.that's better than most M. Best to and yours.

Madison
    Madison's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by BOA12 View Post
    My dad use to say I broke even today (at the track) and had a good day. Your wife says having fun so keep playing. You've had a good three years of fun and happiness? That's Natures way of telling you somethings right.that's better than most M. Best to and yours.
    Yeah, but when you (me early years) you didn't eat if you didn't win. That's a hard dynamic to overcome.

All my best BkofAma and BOL!!!

BOA12
    BOA12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2047

Yeah, but when you (me early years) you didn't eat if you didn't win. That's a hard dynamic to overcome.

All my best BkofAma and BOL!!!
    I spent a lot of summers in the 70's at Arlington to pay my rent. Hot dogs or steak (gas was cheap).

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3353

that's a pretty good performance Madison IMO. keep up the good works.

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9476

Best to all!!
    if you had to guess what was your betting volume over those years ? understand if you don't track ,no pun , it's hard to come up with..an outstanding result either way

Easy-Rider 66

Quote Originally Posted by JBEX View Post
    if you had to guess what was your betting volume over those years ? understand if you don't track ,no pun , it's hard to come up with..an outstanding result either way
    yeah valid question JBEX. If Madison was risking thousands of dollars very impressive. if just wagering here or there in the high hundreds then less so?

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Easy-Rider 66 View Post
    yeah valid question JBEX. If Madison was risking thousands of dollars very impressive. if just wagering here or there in the high hundreds then less so?
    exactly

Madison
    Madison's Avatar SBR PRO

that's a pretty good performance Madison IMO. keep up the good works.
    Thx Bud!

Madison
    Madison's Avatar SBR PRO

In my youth?? Professionally from 23/24-36. Easily very close over above a Million. I would typically get 15-25K back from tax pre-collected on exotics. I was very good and had no conscience. Sometimes to my demise. The Greyhound game changed damatically in the mid to late 80's. I just shredded last winter 2 shoeboxes of tax slips that was a badge of pride, but 35 years later I figured it was time.

Madison
    Madison's Avatar SBR PRO

Approximately 450 cards per year for 12 years.

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO

In my youth?? Professionally from 23/24-36. Easily very close over above a Million. I would typically get 15-25K back from tax pre-collected on exotics. I was very good and had no conscience. Sometimes to my demise. The Greyhound game changed damatically in the mid to late 80's. I just shredded last winter 2 shoeboxes of tax slips that was a badge of pride, but 35 years later I figured it was time.
    no I just meant for the 600 you were playing with last 3 years

Madison
    Madison's Avatar SBR PRO

no I just meant for the 600 you were playing with last 3 years
    Spot plays and for entertainment only. I now win or lose thousands a day in the stock market and fret if I lose $100 or 2 on sports horses. Pathetic. LOL.

If you have time would love any input on my posted , stable entries today.

Thanks for all your input and help!

Easy-Rider 66

sounds like you used to be a heavy Hitter Madison? that is quite the volume for sure.

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO

Spot plays and for entertainment only. I now win or lose thousands a day in the stock market and fret if I lose $100 or 2 on sports horses. Pathetic. LOL.

If you have time would love any input on my posted , stable entries today.

Thanks for all your input and help!
    ok..take a peek

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO

not going to have time as I have to run out ..bol madison

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO

not going to have time as I have to run out ..bol madison
    in general I don't like to critique other people's horses..everybody does things differently and you have to stick with what works for you

Madison
    Madison's Avatar SBR PRO

in general I don't like to critique other people's horses..everybody does things differently and you have to stick with what works for you
    Feel free to critique here, as it's a learning experience for me as arguably I bow to my more seasoned colleagues here.

Got the first one home. BOL today JBEX!!

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24869

Yes, any day you go the Track and clear enuf profit to pay for gas/food/snack/admission, that's a good day.

That's my definition of recreational gambling. If you're playing with funds that you deem non-essential, go with it and have fun. Sounds like you have a good wife, not too many that would give you the Green Light.
    Points Awarded:

Pigpen gave ChuckyTheGoat 5 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Ra77er gave ChuckyTheGoat 3 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Madison
    Madison's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckyTheGoat View Post
    Yes, any day you go the Track and clear enuf profit to pay for gas/food/snack/admission, that's a good day.

That's my definition of recreational gambling. If you're playing with funds that you deem non-essential, go with it and have fun. Sounds like you have a good wife, not too many that would give you the Green Light.
    Been told numerous times my wife is one of a kind, and what a lucky man I am. Believe me, she has put up with a LOT over the 50 years we've been together. I think it started with a $400 bet on BC vs Texas in the 70's. It was a nasty Saturday in Boston and BC was like +10. Texas hadn't seen anything below 70 degrees. Told her I'd buy her a ring if I covered. Well, she got her ring and we've never looked back.

Apologies for high jacking a horse thread. I'll try to refrain in the future.

Best to all!
    Points Awarded:

ChuckyTheGoat gave Madison 4 Betpoint(s) for this post.