stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32279

Kevin Harlan

Kevin Harlan, in my opinion, and I've been saying this for at least six years running is the most entertaining play by play man currently in all of televised sports.

Now before you jump ugly on your pal Nasher here, I said most entertaining, and I think he's the best listen, I didn't say he was the greatest play by play man, IMO Mike Emrick in NHL is, but for my money my favorite listen without a doubt is Harlan.

He's not over the top excitable like Gus Johnson is, Johnson's too hyperbolical for my taste, Harlan's excitement level is controlled, he's an excellent wordsmith, not quite on the same level as Costas is, but up there nevertheless, and Harlan's analogies are spot on perfect, makes you think for a second before you figured out what he just said before laughing so hard you almost pee your pants.

Oh, and Harlan does his homework before all his broadcasts, he knows what he's talking about.

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24869

He's very good. Makes a game very listenable.

He picks his spots to get amped up. Like you say, not over-the-top like Gus Johnson.

cobra_king
    cobra_king's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 36669

What I like about Harlan is if the game he's doing is radio only, he has a completely different perspective on it, far more descriptive and understands that he is painting the picture for the viewer. He's the only one who instinctively knows the difference and calls the game to the specific audience he's announcing to.
    Points Awarded:

ChuckyTheGoat gave cobra_king 6 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: stevenash

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Definitely born for the industry.

edawg
    edawg's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5030

Harlan is very good especially on radio. The best I ever heard was the radio guy that used to do the Cavaliers in the NBA.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by edawg View Post
    Harlan is very good especially on radio. The best I ever heard was the radio guy that used to do the Cavaliers in the NBA.
    Shame that some of the best ever were only regional, never got the national spotlight and their just due .That's because there are only a handful of national play by play opportunities and many got their gigs by nepotism or some other way not based on merit.

Case in point is Joe Buck.
    If Joe's dad Jack wasn't one of the GOAT's Joe doesn't have a national gazillion dollar contract and he'd be pushing a pencil someplace in Bumfuck Missouri as a middle manager in some small potatoes company.

Let's call a spade a spade, the son of the great Jack Buck isn't very good at what he does on TV.

That and the fact the Buck family has major clout with the Budweiser people, also out of St. Louis.
    The Bucks have *major* pull in the Midwest.

texhooper
    texhooper's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7847

I think honestly most of the NBA play by play people these days over at TNT and ESPN are pretty good honestly, and of course of those Harlan is one of the best. It’s when you start looking at the analyst role where things usually fall apart. The latest is Stan Van Gundy, I mean TNT makes so many head scratching decisions in this regard. You can listen to his voice for two seconds and know this ain’t the dude. But these are the same guys who gave Reggie Miller and Chris Webber long-standing analyst roles also, so go figure.

And someone mentioned Gus Johnson, I love him calling anything. They need to get him in a higher rotation calling NBA playoff games imo

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I’m using doing something else and I’m watching the game I don’t pay too much attention

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

We were lucky to have Harlan doing Wolves games for awhile

Great voice, Great calls

Now we git fukkin Paul Allen all over radio it's just annoying

shadymcgrady
    shadymcgrady's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2978

Harlan is to marv Albert what robin is to batman

Bedrockfred
    Bedrockfred's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2714

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
    We were lucky to have Harlan doing Wolves games for awhile

Great voice, Great calls

Now we git fukkin Paul Allen all over radio it's just annoying
    I lived in St. Paul, Mn when Harlen was doing Wolves broadcasts. He was great! Then the they had Chad Hartman doing play by play. Chad was a was a train wreck. They fired Hartman and I moved shortly after that.

I loved the Twin Cities.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

He is much better to listen to than that chick they have on ESPN doing games sometimes.

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

stevenash

^
    I was waiting for you to pull that video.

Classic.