packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3598

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Cowboys Ex Dez Bryant Rips ESPN’s Adam Schefter for Dwayne Haskins Tweet

Bryant: “Athletes for the record.. the sh— Adam Schefter wrote, that’s how a lot of people view us. We ain’t sh— but entertainment! if you let one treat you with disrespect, the rest will follow.”
    How much did Bryant make off fans over his career? Whether he likes it or not he is nothing but entertainment.

Yulia74
    Yulia74's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4360

Quote Originally Posted by packerd_00 View Post
    How much did Bryant make off fans over his career? Whether he likes it or not he is nothing but entertainment.
    sh— entertainment!

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Funny how we don't give Schefter a pass.... But we allow Dez Bryant to get a pass? What is he even talking about??? Ranting about nothing. Another spook.

Headsterx
    Headsterx's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2175

Sad news.

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11100

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Munny View Post
    Yeah, imagine going back in time 50 years and showing Schefter's tweet to the people of that era, and then following it up with the fact that Schefter was subsequently called a dickhead, an asshole, probably will be called a racist if he hasn't been already, and was forced to rescind his statement to alleviate the heat. They would all think you're joking, and if any of them believed you they'd probably express some sense of relief their time may be up before that day arrived.
    People were decent in the 50's. Schefter would have been punched in the mouth if he said this in the 50s. Back in the Wild West, he would have lost his life in a dual for being a dick. You're trying to explain this as if society is going soft. NOOO, society is going to hell. People say and do whatever they want to do these days. No one would have ever said that stupid shit years ago. But it's perfectly okay and you encourage it and see nothing wrong today. You are the problem. Your "I can do and say anything because it's a free country". You have no problem saying "grab em by the pussy". It's you being you. Shefty being Shefty.

Eddy Munny
    Eddy Munny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24876

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    People were decent in the 50's. Schefter would have been punched in the mouth if he said this in the 50s. Back in the Wild West, he would have lost his life in a dual for being a dick. You're trying to explain this as if society is going soft. NOOO, society is going to hell. People say and do whatever they want to do these days. No one would have ever said that stupid shit years ago. But it's perfectly okay and you encourage it and see nothing wrong today. You are the problem. Your "I can do and say anything because it's a free country". You have no problem saying "grab em by the pussy". It's you being you. Shefty being Shefty.
    50 years ago we were in the 1970's, dumbass.

And in that era, or the 50's for that matter, nobody would've given a shit about a word because people were busy leading their lives, had hobbies, and didn't obsess over trivial fluff as something to occupy the void in their minds.

You go searching for reasons to trigger your inner social justice warrior like a prospector does gold. If Cardale Jones hadn't reacted first, you would've never launched into a tirade of your own volition, even if you had came across Schefter's tweet. You're just boarding the latest bandwagon because at this point you probably get a dopamine spike to reinforce your lemming behavior.

Like I said earlier, you and your ilk hijacked a thread about Dwayne Haskins and made it about you and your self-righteous posturing.
    Last edited by Eddy Munny; 04-09-22 at 11:09 PM.

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19539

Everything Shefter wrote was the truth; what's he supposed to write, that Haskins tore up the NFL?

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    What did Schefter do?
    Tweeted the news, and added detail to clarify about whom he was tweeting, because a seasoned sports reporter understands detail even if the details weren't "necessary".

It happens all the time with tragic athlete stories. Nearly every story, whether its about a death or even a violent crime they committed, will incude a synopsis of the athletes career...not relevant to the story, but relevant to the athlete. Some think it's distasteful, but it's nothing new.

He just put all in one tweet. It's foolish to have outrage over this random, specific instance, just because it's a few word tweet. People can bitch, but to show outrage is lame.

Tragic news here about Haskins, and zero news here about Schefter. I guess for the shallow, the fact that the guy had to delete a tweet is news.

RIP

Just terrible to see this headline this morning. Just terrible.
    Points Awarded:

semibluff gave KVB 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

I think an issue with the Schefter tweet that hasn't been addressed (or maybe it was and I missed it) was that it made it seem like Haskins got cut by Washington and Pittsburgh and was a just guy who couldn't find a happy home.

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13152

Conversely the headline that my wife read made it seem like he was the starting QB for the Steelers.

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    Conversely the headline that my wife read made it seem like he was the starting QB for the Steelers.
    Not gonna lie, when I first read the headline this morning, I had an initial thought "Steelers named Haskins???"

Then the shock of the accident sort of set in.

Mac4Lyfe

And in that era, or the 50's for that matter, nobody would've given a shit about a word because people were busy leading their lives, had hobbies, and didn't obsess over trivial fluff as something to occupy the void in their minds.

You go searching for reasons to trigger your inner social justice warrior like a prospector does gold. If Cardale Jones hadn't reacted first, you would've never launched into a tirade of your own volition, even if you had came across Schefter's tweet. You're just boarding the latest bandwagon because at this point you probably get a dopamine spike to reinforce your lemming behavior.

Like I said earlier, you and your ilk hijacked a thread about Dwayne Haskins and made it about you and your self-righteous posturing.
    Who the Fukk said anything about 50 years ago? You started rambling about the 1950s like that was an era where it was okay to demean a dead guy. Guess what your a dick then and your a dick now. The only one triggered is you because Schefter deleted an obvious stupid insensitive tweet. You mad because he can’t speak his mind on dumb shit that has nothing to do with Haskins death. BTW, you started this shit, sticking up for Schefter. Two fukking gaping assholes. You’re probably nibbling his nuts right now. You swallow a lot.

goduke
    goduke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2258

People weren’t just doing their hobbies in the 70s man. You had watergate, you had opec embargo, you had Vietnam, you had womens rights.
    Every generation has people that speak out about stuff. Doesn’t matter if you think this is trivial or not because the point is people still called out things. I bet some people 50 years ago thought woman’s rights were trivial too. You may still think that but the point is that just because you don’t see it or get it doesn’t mean it’s not worth saying something

goduke
    goduke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2258

Brandt's comments were absolutely retarded.

To answer your question.
    You are not the guy who determines bad behaviour and then tells us what you think it is. That's not the world I live in. That's on you.

Could Adam be a dickhead. Possibly. Was his tweet enough to call him that? Imo NO.
    I don’t need to tell you what to think. You can decide for yourself if he’s a dick or not but you should also be able to understand that some people including myself that he was an idiot for saying it. So the point of the matter should be this…..I think it was an asshole comment, you don’t and Eddy doesn’t either. That is fine but because we have different opinions doesn’t mean im part of some soft woke mob and that the world is falling apart because of this cancel culture or whatever name you call it. But instead I think it’s just about having a common decency to other people. We would rather degrade people, argue with people, belittle people, all for the sake of proving a point or being on one side of a view.

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

Yeah, imagine going back in time 50 years...
    People were decent in the 50's...
    50 years ago we were in the 1970's, dumbass...
    Who the Fukk said anything about 50 years ago? You started rambling about the 1950s...
    Points Awarded:

Eddy Munny gave KVB 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Enkhbat
    Enkhbat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 26311

Definitely a dick move by Schefter.

Mackballs
    Mackballs's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 12393

Quote Originally Posted by KVB View Post
    Lol wow. Owned.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Schefter screwed up. That's why he deleted the tweet. Close this thread.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32295

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    I think an issue with the Schefter tweet that hasn't been addressed (or maybe it was and I missed it) was that it made it seem like Haskins got cut by Washington and Pittsburgh and was a just guy who couldn't find a happy home.
    And that's just it.

My problem (and others) with Schefter is he has a reputation of overstepping.
    His job in this instance was to report the death of Haskins via Twitter, nothing more, nothing less.
    By including "struggling to catch on..." to his tweet he crossed the line (overstepped) from reporting to editorializing, and Schefter should know better.

A reporter reports the events of the story, the who (Haskins) the what (death by auto accident) the when (April 8) the where (Florida)
    It wasn't the time or his place (at that moment) to editorialize

That's journalism 101, fact based reporting, who, what, where, when.
    He earned his degree from Northwestern in journalism, like I say, he should know better.

Deliver the story as it's occurring, that's the job of a reporter.
    I know this and I'm an amateur writer (blogger) without an advanced degree from Northwestern in journalism.

A (fact based) reporter disseminates the news as it's occurring to the public (nothing more, nothing less)
    A journalist researches the story and then delivers the story based on the facts he discovered.
    An editorialist expresses his personal opinion to a story after it's reported.
    "struggling to catch on" is an opinion a lot of professionals, athlete and news people alike have trouble with.

A pontificator is one who expresses an opinion as fact without proof to back up their opinion.
    I'm not accusing Schefter of pontification here (God knows SBR has too many pontificators)but he crossed the line as a reporter.

Now I'm going to editorialize.

That's why I (and others) think Schefter is an asshole.
    He frequently crosses that line coming across with a "nobody does it better than me" attitude.
    ESPN has too many of those "my shit don't stink" attitudes.
    Mel Kiper comes to mind, several others too.

Schefter can go on one of the too many Sunday morning sports shows and give his opinions, reporting a death as it occurred isn't that time.
    Points Awarded:

Mac4Lyfe gave stevenash 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Mike Huntertz
    Mike Huntertz's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22632

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    I just don't understand how someone runs out of gas??? Seriously... how many of you actually ran out of gas on a highway? Isn't it common sense to make sure you have sufficient fuel in the tank?
    My first though also. I ran out of gas once when I was 16 because I didn't have any money and was hoping to get to my friends place on fumes. Still sad he died. RIP

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

I ran out of gas once when I was pulling into a gas station

Hard to run out of gas in a city

Anyways, Schefter should have just said he had passed and played for Steelers.

Everything on Twitter of course gets a life of its own though.

risKingDigits
    risKingDigits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1972

This story is bizarre. I wanted to see how far my truck would go on empty. Not just after the gas light comes...but when it says 0 miles to left to go. I made 34 miles before I chickened out and fueled up.

In a City, running out of gas is hard to do in newer vehicles. Unless someone is broke or mentally altered, I don’t understand it, you get notified with 30-45 miles of driving left.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

https://www.wataugademocrat.com/news...d3e8da088.html

Here is a video of the interstate where the accident happen. Notice it is a 6 lane highway with a concrete barrier and there is no shoulder at the concrete barrier. So if your car stops you got to get out at some point else you will get hit by traffic. And it was dark when all this happened.

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3768

This happens more than you realize, whether it's running out of gas or a changing a tire, or even sitting in the car waiting for AAA.
    Just in the last couple years, two Mass State Troopers lost their lives helping a broke down driver, and giving out a speeding ticket.
    Pedestrians get hit all the time. Unless it happens to someone you love, it doesn't hit home.

Roads are dangerous these days. RIP Dwayne.

Mac4Lyfe

Adam Schefter, a self absorbed asshole posts an insensitive tweet and the SBR resident assholes come to his defense. Even Schefter realizes his mistake, deletes the tweet but the same dumb fukks continue their obviously wrong take. Moral of the story? You can’t change dumb fukks minds, even when they know they are wrong admittedly by the asshole who put them in their position in the first place.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7600

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Schefter screwed up. That's why he deleted the tweet. Close this thread.
    He deleted the tweet because people were crying over it. Nothing else.

Eddy Munny

Notice how the only person in this thread resorting to ad hominem attacks is Mac4Lyfe.

Notice how the only person in this thread irrationally impassioned over a rather pedestrian word is Mac4Lyfe.

Notice how the only person in this thread who can't read or perform basic math (it's one or the other) is Mac4Lyfe.

Notice how when Mac4Lyfe's miscue(s) are pointed out he lashes out in anger. (see post #120)

Notice how if words are weapons which shouldn't be used to harm, then Mac4Lyfe's motto is "do as I say, not as I do."

The biggest loser of this thread is Mac4Lyfe.
    Points Awarded:

lakerboy gave Eddy Munny 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

lakerboy gave Eddy Munny 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    And that's just it.

My problem (and others) with Schefter is he has a reputation of overstepping.
    His job in this instance was to report the death of Haskins via Twitter, nothing more, nothing less.
    By including "struggling to catch on..." to his tweet he crossed the line (overstepped) from reporting to editorializing, and Schefter should know better.

A reporter reports the events of the story, the who (Haskins) the what (death by auto accident) the when (April 8) the where (Florida)
    It wasn't the time or his place (at that moment) to editorialize

That's journalism 101, fact based reporting, who, what, where, when.
    He earned his degree from Northwestern in journalism, like I say, he should know better.

Deliver the story as it's occurring, that's the job of a reporter.
    I know this and I'm an amateur writer (blogger) without an advanced degree from Northwestern in journalism.

A (fact based) reporter disseminates the news as it's occurring to the public (nothing more, nothing less)
    A journalist researches the story and then delivers the story based on the facts he discovered.
    An editorialist expresses his personal opinion to a story after it's reported.
    "struggling to catch on" is an opinion a lot of professionals, athlete and news people alike have trouble with.

A pontificator is one who expresses an opinion as fact without proof to back up their opinion.
    I'm not accusing Schefter of pontification here (God knows SBR has too many pontificators)but he crossed the line as a reporter.

Now I'm going to editorialize.

That's why I (and others) think Schefter is an asshole.
    He frequently crosses that line coming across with a "nobody does it better than me" attitude.
    ESPN has too many of those "my shit don't stink" attitudes.
    Mel Kiper comes to mind, several others too.

Schefter can go on one of the too many Sunday morning sports shows and give his opinions, reporting a death as it occurred isn't that time.
    No Nasher, no.

What you wrote sounds good, but isn't refelctive of what journalists do.

Many think it's distasteful, like you do, but here's what happens in the real world and no amount of sudden, dowright random, backlash will change that...

...It happens all the time with tragic athlete stories. Nearly every story, whether its about a death or even a violent crime they committed, will incude a synopsis of the athletes career...not relevant to the story, but relevant to the athlete. Some think it's distasteful, but it's nothing new...
    "Struggling to catch on" does not have to an opinion, but it most certainly can be fact.

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Mackballs View Post
    Lol wow. Owned.

Hope you're ready for MLB markets Mack, grab yo balls let's ride!

Eddy Munny

Quote Originally Posted by goduke View Post
    People weren’t just doing their hobbies in the 70s man. You had watergate, you had opec embargo, you had Vietnam, you had womens rights.
    Every generation has people that speak out about stuff. Doesn’t matter if you think this is trivial or not because the point is people still called out things. I bet some people 50 years ago thought woman’s rights were trivial too. You may still think that but the point is that just because you don’t see it or get it doesn’t mean it’s not worth saying something
    You're missing the point. Every generation had its issues, sure. When I said 50 years ago, it was just a nice round number... I could've said 60 or 100, hell I could've even said 20. Outrage is en vogue now. Instead of having one overarching cause to galvanize people, it's a manufactured cause that changes daily/weekly. It's a flavor of the moment.

THE HITMAN
    THE HITMAN's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16230

I did. I don't see the problem.
    I dont see the problem either

THE HITMAN
    THE HITMAN's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16230

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    Funny how we don't give Schefter a pass.... But we allow Dez Bryant to get a pass? What is he even talking about??? Ranting about nothing. Another spook.
    right, Dez always had a big pie hole, got a pass each time

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32295

No Nasher, no.

What you wrote sounds good, but isn't refelctive of what journalists do.

Many think it's distasteful, like you do, but here's what happens in the real world and no amount of sudden, dowright random, backlash will change that...

"Struggling to catch on" does not have to an opinion, but it most certainly can be fact.
    It's not distasteful, it was inappropriate at that time.
    At the time of the tweet Schefter was in the role of reporter, not journalist or editorialist.

Now let's say Schefter was on a show like "Sports Reporters" and he used the same "struggling to catch on" line I might agree.
    A show like that the line would be appropriate and not distasteful.

Doesn't change the fact I think Schefter is good at what he does, it also doesn't change the fact I think he's a giant douche and asshole.

Oh well, we disagree.
    I'll live.
    Points Awarded:

KVB gave stevenash 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10214

Points Awarded:

edawg gave 19th Hole 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

First 123456 Last