Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

Is it worth it to go back to college to finish?

I went to college for a little when I was younger and had to drop out to support my parents. I have a 1/3 share in 2 liquor stores and do pretty good financially, but I always wanted to be an accountant or something in finance maybe. Is it even worth it nowadays?

SEAHAWKHARRY
    Northern Lights
    SEAHAWKHARRY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2385

Always good to educate yourself to be a richer in the mind guy. Go for it I mean shit we waste money on bullshit every day . Throwing money at a college degree or even just knowledge seem like a + even bet

Slurry Pumper
    Slurry Pumper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8796

Not even, the best thing going now a days is a business ownership. Working for someone else sucks. having said that, if you have a chance to get a accountant degree and use it for yourself then it is worth it. It is always good to improve yourself mentally if for no other reason than to prove to yourself that you can do it. I would suggest that you take just 1 course a semester. Sure it will take 10 years to graduate but it wont feel like you are over doing it ever semester.

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy
    Booya711's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16097

Nope…waste of time and money…these liberal woke professors want to brainwash you…you are smarter than any of these so called “teachers”

big joe 1212
    big joe 1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5365

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post
    I went to college for a little when I was younger and had to drop out to support my parents. I have a 1/3 share in 2 liquor stores and do pretty good financially, but I always wanted to be an accountant or something in finance maybe. Is it even worth it nowadays?
    I went back to school at age 38. Graduated with a bachelor degree in accounting at age 41. Passed CPA exam at age 42.

Nowadays you need a masters to get CPA though. But you can still get a great job with a 2 or 4 year degree.

Well worth it if you like it. Need the degree if you want a career in accounting. Unless you just want to get an accounts payable/receivable job and try to work your way up.

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11105

Quote Originally Posted by Booya711 View Post
    Nope…waste of time and money…these liberal woke professors want to brainwash you…you are smarter than any of these so called “teachers”
    Trump cult member logic. Booya too smart for college.

vitterd
    vitterd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3673

It all depends on the value you place on education and what it’s worth to you. I look at a college degree as something nobody can take from you and it is an accomplishment.

Thor4140
    Thor4140's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22119

Quote Originally Posted by Booya711 View Post
    Booya could you please turn off Fox News for one night. Just one.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

It is really up to you. Remember Mark Twain's famous quote: "6 months of experience is worth 6 years of schooling".

Thor4140
    Thor4140's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22119

I got my college education the hard way paying bookies thousands of dollars. These were my credits. Most have here. Gambling tuition. You guys that lose all the time may want to drop out of this type of college.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Gambling is like anything else. It pays to have very good teachers.

dustyy
    dustyy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6823

May get your foot in the door but it's what you do after you get your foot in the door that counts. Nothing I learned in college helps me in my career today...nothing. No matter what you choose to do, bust your ass once you get the opportunity and don't look back.

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

Points Awarded:

gauchojake gave Kermit 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

lonegambler23
    Org Mafia
    lonegambler23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13520

all a waste of time and money. all just a liberal money grab

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21629

Depends on what you want to do with it. Have a plan ahead of time. Certainly if you're older, don't just go to go.

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

Save the $$ buy the buildings your stores are in.

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 53

huh?

you dont do well financially

you stiff betpoints

big joe 1212
    big joe 1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5365

Quote Originally Posted by dustyy View Post
    May get your foot in the door but it's what you do after you get your foot in the door that counts. Nothing I learned in college helps me in my career today...nothing. No matter what you choose to do, bust your ass once you get the opportunity and don't look back.
    Pretty much true. Out of all the classes I took, only 2 of them were useful to me at my job.

Those science and biology classes that were mandatory really helped me

Roger T. Bannon
    Roger T. Bannon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11760

A college degree is really just a certificate that declares that you are employable.

If you have business and do not want to pursue a career that requires a degree, it is worthless.

If you want to have a degree for some type of self satisfaction, it might be worth it. But unless you have an aspiration that requires a degree, it is waste of time.

If you want to get involved in finance or accounting, you need your employable certificate.
    Points Awarded:

Mac4Lyfe gave Roger T. Bannon 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Very easy to forge a college certificate why even go if you have a good adobe editor

No need

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

Seriously SBA for owner occupied RE a low interest 10% down loan.

Buy the buildings and raise the rent on your family force them out of the stores...hostile takeover

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11105

Did we factor in coeds??? You will never find that many beavers in the real world.

mngambler
    mngambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3057

no...get a sales job, there's never been more 6 fig jobs available than right now in sales

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 53

Quote Originally Posted by mngambler View Post
    no...get a sales job, there's never been more 6 fig jobs available than right now in sales
    only goddamn idiots go to sales

every single person in sales knows of a better deal out there at another company

Waterstpub87
    Slan go foill
    Waterstpub87's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7236

Not to discourage you, Finance and Accounting are really competitive fields.

For accounting, if you are not getting an entry level job, and not doing something really basic like accounts payable or receivable, they likely want Big 4 experience, degree from a decent place, sometimes a CPA. You could go somewhere small and do stuff, but its not going to be very glamorous or well compensated. A lot of lower level accounting jobs are not fun. Without experience, you would be entry level, likely reporting to a 28 year old boss.

Finance, frankly, maybe even worse, especially if you are outside of New York, Charlotte, Chicago, maybe LA/SF. For like internal corporate jobs, like Financial analysis and planning at like Ford or something like that, you would be unlikely to get the entry level job. Even something like that is very competitive. For anything involving securities (stocks,bond ect.), those jobs are very highly fought over. A lot of people want to get into it cause its interesting, so they really have their pick, no matter the compensation or anything like that. To be competitive with really any entry level job that is interesting, you would be expected to be very good with excel, maybe even VBA or python. So it kind of leaves you with lower tier jobs, that are going to be similar to the accounting situation.

They don't tend to consider non-industry experience as experience. Like if you had something like supply chain experience, and wanted to transition into finance, it doesn't really count. It looks odd, because some many jobs are listed. Unfortunately, for most of the finance jobs, they don't really take shots on people that don't at least have some of the background.

On top of that, owning 2/6s of three liquor stores, do you really want to do a corporate job, with a boss younger than you, doing grunt work? And thats after a few more years of school, which is likely to cost atleast 60,000, minus any non-traditional student money you could get.

Not to be a downer, and if you do it, best of luck.
    Points Awarded:

Goat Milk gave Waterstpub87 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 181

Tuesday
    Whores...God Bless 'Em
    Tuesday's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4061

Bottom line is time. If you got spare time go do what you want get your degrees. If you too busy with business, you'll have to build your business up until it can run smoothly without you so you can have time to do other things.

goduke
    goduke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2264

Measure the cost versus what you are getting out of it. If you are going to continue with the businesses you have then maybe take a few classes to hone yourself accounting skills. If you are looking to completely change your career and actually pursue a job in accounting or finance I would weigh out cost and your age because anywhere you start in an accounting field is going to low on the hierarchy and have many hours. Same with finance.
    If you have capital keep investing in what you are doing and expand that with a couple classes. Don’t waste 40k plus on a college education that you aren’t going to use and are them locked into student loans which are the biggest scam job since the housing market shadiness.

eidolon
    USA
    eidolon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15766

Look at the money you make now.
    Figure out how much you will make in 4 years from now doing the same job.

Look at job offers in your area for accountant positions (non-CPA and CPA).

Compare and decide.

I went back to college when I was 30. Was doing social work for a transitional/homeless shelter, so wasn't making very much.

Went back to college (4 1/2 years), got my bachelors degree in EE, and it was worth it for me.

Why do you want to do accounting?
    A lot of good paying jobs are in sales (work experience is #1 for this), and advertising (degree helps a ton).

HAPPY BOY
    HAPPY BOY's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 800

if you have to hawk your future to pay tuition..then no

TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3549

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotafats View Post
    save the $$ buy the buildings your stores are in.
    ^^^^^ this

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Goater forget it stick to gambling and bars

Naz18
    Naz18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1940

This is the worst place to ask