Orbison
    Orbison's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 153492

Is it ego that makes us want to gamble? (Long reflection piece inside.)

is it ultimately our egos that drive us to gamble? do we essentially want.. no, do we NEED to prove to ourselves that we are “smart” about sports and their outcomes? and if so, why?

maybe the picture i'm about to paint isn't the case for all sports bettors, but my primary assumption has always been that the vast majority of sports bettors grew up as huge sports fans as kids. and what i mean by sports fans is primarily watching sports on TV or in-person at games, but not necessarily participating in them ourselves in an organized fashion through our schools’ teams, local leagues, that sort of thing.

and to go one step further, i've also assumed that many of these kids (i.e. us/today’s sports bettors) actually used sports as an escape when we were young. maybe there were any variety of problems at home/school/socially where sports became our main outlet. maybe many of us were naturally quiet, introverted, socially awkward, late bloomers. whatever the case was, sports became our refuge.

at some point, as time went on and we continued investing more and more of our time into following sports, we were introduced to the concept of the point spread on games. for most of us, especially the older folks here, that introduction was likely made by our local newspaper’s sports section where lines were always posted. and while we had noticed these lines in the paper for a long time, it wasn’t until one day those lines suddenly meant more to us.

so at some point we all started sports betting due to a variety of reasons and influences in our lives. for me, it started early in high school where a close friend of mine (and likewise huge sports fan) had access to parlay cards. he would get the parlay cards from an asian kid who we referred to as “Lou Kang”. Lou Kang was a few years older than us and his family owned a local laundromat where his dad was in the parlay card and booking business as a side hustle. (talk about a cliché story about one’s introduction to sports betting, but yes it’s true). anyway, one day my friend told me about these cards and before i knew it, he was providing me parlay cards to fill out each week during football season.

anyway, i’m sure everyone here has their own “fun” story about their introduction to sports betting as well. but let’s fast forward… so we somehow got into sports betting and it immediately had a huge impact on our daily lives. always checking lines, constantly calling score phones, calling recorded messages for free picks, trying to cap games with friends, the whole nine. betting on the games basically became our way of “enhancing” the viewing experience we had long been infatuated with. and if we had already been spending most of our free time watching and tracking games, then surely betting on them should be easy, right? i mean, who knew more about sports, the teams, and all the players than US who were constantly watching them?

so years and years go by, then decades, and we’re still sports betting into our old ages. (granted, not everyone here is “old” but work with me here). we’ve all had lots of huge wins but far more huge losses. many of us have even experienced serious periods of financial ruin because of it. and for ALMOST ALL of us, in the bigger picture of life, betting has not only sucked most of our free time away, but the world around us has passed us by in the meantime. it seems like every "normal" (non-sports betting) person we've known over time has advanced further in their lives than us. endless missed social engagements, isolation from family, you name it, gambling has ruined our lives in countless ways. of course, there are successful sports bettors who’ve lived very active, fulfilling, and balanced lives.. but for all intent and purposes here, let’s focus on the vast majority of “us” who fit this far more common narrative.

so why do we still do this? does it ultimately trace all the way back into our childhoods when we first became obsessed about sports? do we view all this time we’ve spent on it as, in essence, one of our greatest “life’s works”? and can we simply not accept that this “life’s work” has been a destructive failure?... so we continue to march on with the sole purpose of trying to FINALLY be “right”?... that only an IDIOT would fail at something they've dedicated the better part of their life to?... how could our egos possibly handle such a concession?

Vyasports
    check raise re-raise all-in
    Vyasports's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1334

Money.

When I first started it was ego.

After 12+ years of experience, it is only about the money. Concentrate ONLY on the money part. It is a business for the books, we should also take it as a business/investment. And every business has its ups and downs.
    When i lose a play, i go back and check what really went wrong and how to avoid it in future.

Vyasports
    check raise re-raise all-in
    Vyasports's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1334

Quote Originally Posted by Orbison View Post
    so at some point we all started sports betting due to a variety of reasons and influences in our lives. for me, it started early in high school where a close friend of mine (and likewise huge sports fan) had access to parlay cards. he would get the parlay cards from an asian kid who we referred to as “Lou Kang”. Lou Kang was a few years older than us and his family owned a local laundromat where his dad was in the parlay card and booking business as a side hustle. (talk about a cliché story about one’s introduction to sports betting, but yes it’s true). anyway, one day my friend told me about these cards and before i knew it, he was providing me parlay cards to fill out each week during football season.
    I have a somehow similar experience during my early gambling days; it was horseracing for me, betting at the local book and visiting the racetrack... it was all fun.
    Now I do not even touch horseracing.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Orbison

KiDBaZkiT
    September 2021 POTM
    KiDBaZkiT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1291

I was very big into Metal/Death Metal since my teens. I played drums, well I played guitar too but I was avg at guitar. I was extremely advanced at drums especially for my age. My favorite thing was getting into bands and essentially “capping” the strengths and weaknesses of the bands I liked and didn’t like. I got to meet a lot of the guys I listened to. I will never forget talking about Drums with Derek Roddy for about two hours. I played sports when I was little but started skateboarding in middle school and quit baseball and basketball. Anyway, I grew out of the music scene for several reasons and I had a homie that watched all major sports. For my 21sr birthday we drove out to the sports book. Went 4-0 my first day. That natural high from winning got me hooked for life.

KiDBaZkiT
    September 2021 POTM
    KiDBaZkiT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1291

Quote Originally Posted by KiDBaZkiT View Post
    I was very big into Metal/Death Metal since my teens. I played drums, well I played guitar too but I was avg at guitar. I was extremely advanced at drums especially for my age. My favorite thing was getting into bands and essentially “capping” the strengths and weaknesses of the bands I liked and didn’t like. I got to meet a lot of the guys I listened to. I will never forget talking about Drums with Derek Roddy for about two hours. I played sports when I was little but started skateboarding in middle school and quit baseball and basketball. Anyway, I grew out of the music scene for several reasons and I had a homie that watched all major sports. For my 21sr birthday we drove out to the sports book. Went 4-0 my first day. That natural high from winning got me hooked for life.
    Needless to say I was always a capper. Sportsbetting came so natural. I was capping other human beings for my own amusement long before I ever even considered watching sports as an adult.

TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3621

As a kid I was gifted with a right arm that could throw bullets. Unfortunately there was never a coach or mentor to develop any talent. After Little League I began to watch sports from a distance. In High School I started to understand that it didn't matter what talent you possessed because if you didn't have connections you were going nowhere.
    My gambling days started early when I began working. I found that many people around me were not only interested in sports but also enjoyed wagering on sports as well. We called them "sports tickets" and I handed them out at work. Quickly I recognized that a few people won but nobody won big.
    Eventually this advanced to people wanting to place actual sports bets and since I had the connections it became a regular weekly chore. Kind of became a "hooker" without knowing how or why. The big guy was my "pimp".
    Can definitely relate to KiDB capping other human beings.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Grew up around it main reason

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 422

We want to feel that winning dopamine hit. For me it replaced competing in real sports and also great way to escape boredom and reality

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 422

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoldenGoose View Post
    As a kid I was gifted with a right arm that could throw bullets. Unfortunately there was never a coach or mentor to develop any talent. After Little League I began to watch sports from a distance. In High School I started to understand that it didn't matter what talent you possessed because if you didn't have connections you were going nowhere.
    My gambling days started early when I began working. I found that many people around me were not only interested in sports but also enjoyed wagering on sports as well. We called them "sports tickets" and I handed them out at work. Quickly I recognized that a few people won but nobody won big.
    Eventually this advanced to people wanting to place actual sports bets and since I had the connections it became a regular weekly chore. Kind of became a "hooker" without knowing how or why. The big guy was my "pimp".
    Can definitely relate to KiDB capping other human beings.
    How fast could you throw?

JayLA
    On to the next one...
    JayLA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1219

Money and wanting to be right, yes. Basically competition with oneself.

carolinakid
    carolinakid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3661

to me it like in some ways buying stock and know when a number is weak ect...........

Roger T. Bannon
    Roger T. Bannon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11760

Yes, male ego. Gamblers are narcissists. Even when they have lost, they still cannot comprehend that they will lose. However, this creates a separate problem in that gambling is exciting. So now you have excitement in a boring life. What else can you do? You must gamble. Even when it is past the point of any possibility of winning, you need to see the lights flash like a moth to flame.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

If you are good at something and consinstenly win like I do why not keep doing it?

carolinakid

bottom line too many guys play for action and not making money, they get caught up in all the games on a given sat or sunday.......plus drinking does not help either and when i talk drinking, i mean getting drunk watching the action.......

Roger T. Bannon
    Roger T. Bannon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11760

Quote Originally Posted by Orbison View Post
    of course, there are successful sports bettors who’ve lived very active, fulfilling, and balanced lives..
    Nope. That is why they are successful. They are more screwed up than most.

carolinakid

i try to keep it balance, when im in my home office and doing the games, it all about the games, when im away i do not even want to think about a game.next friday i will be at the duke game to enjoy the game with friends on friday i will not think about a bet until sat....

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I love losers that go on a vacation and gamble that’s got to be the dumbest thing you could ever do including Vegas
    Quote Originally Posted by carolinakid View Post
    i try to keep it balance, when im in my home office and doing the games, it all about the games, when im away i do not even want to think about a game.next friday i will be at the duke game to enjoy the game with friends on friday i will not think about a bet until sat....

grease lightnin
    &
    grease lightnin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3185

yes, I like to think i can outsmart the bookie
    Last edited by grease lightnin; 09-04-21 at 08:27 PM.

hubie69
    I am JJs bookie
    hubie69's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 617

First of all great post Orbi.

For me it's partially ego. It's partially the challenge. It's mostly the competition. This business is absolutely survival of the fittest.

It's knowing my programming is better than the next guy. My data is better than the next guy. My math is better than the next guy. My grasp of market forces is better than the next guy. I worked harder than most to get here.

It's knowing the work I put in ensures my survival in this. Also the measuring stick is clearly defined if you take this seriously. You either make money long term or you don't. Period.

spurginobili
    Llano Estacado
    spurginobili's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20505

It's fun. I prefer gambling over many other activities. I don't bet more than I can lose. What's the harm?

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7696

Its a challenge

Let's be honest. Its not hard to win. Its a mind game. I don't speak for others so I will speak for me.

I know three things on lines and gambling

1. Certain games the line clearly tells you who will win the game.
    2. Some games the line tells you who has a chance to win outright.
    3. Some games the line tells you to Stay away.

You need to figure out the rest.

Hman
    Hman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1222

Competitive nature higher in bettors & gamblers than most people

grease lightnin
    &

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    Its a challenge

Let's be honest. Its not hard to win. Its a mind game. I don't speak for others so I will speak for me.

I know three things on lines and gambling

1. Certain games the line clearly tells you who will win the game.
    2. Some games the line tells you who has a chance to win outright.
    3. Some games the line tells you to Stay away.

You need to figure out the rest.

For my educational purposes, can you be kind enough to tell me what the line said for UNC/VT and why?

carolinakid

^to bet Tech all day, just like last night the only play in the clemson game was georgia, a very weak line with plus money on clemson was a dead give away that georgia was the only play in that game, it take time and many yrs to learn to see what lines are weak or not

grease lightnin
    &

I meant specifically in the context of LB’s 1, 2, & 3. Obviously it’s easy to look backward and say what you said, Carolina kid

carolinakid

im not looking back, i said this doing the unc and tech game on friday, i did not look back when i went 4-0 on sat here either.i was just saying it take time to learn line moves and know what is real or not

carolinakid

i will give you a example today, so many will bet the state /nd game today, just because it the only college game on the board, imo at this time the numbers are dead in the water side and total and imo it a no bet at this time, but again it hrs off.again i will not bet this game today unless i see some value in the numbers at this time i see no value.i dont bet just because it on the board
    Last edited by carolinakid; 09-05-21 at 08:33 AM.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7696

Quote Originally Posted by grease lightnin View Post
    For my educational purposes, can you be kind enough to tell me what the line said for UNC/VT and why?
    That game for me was number 2. The point spread at 5.5 was moving on juice but I could tell that there was no pressure to go to-6. Sure some places did but 5.5 had no real $$$ pressure.

carolinakid

^^^^yes and dont forget too pinny move it down to 4.5 close to kickoff

TommieGunshot
    TommieGunshot's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6350

Quote Originally Posted by Vyasports View Post
    Money.
    This was my first thought, but upon a little more reflection would add working conditions. If I had started out at Wal-Mart or Target 20 years ago and moved up to mid-level manager, I am sure it would be a similar amount of money as betting sports. But that would just really suck.

In a lot of ways, it is the opposite of ego. I just want to relax and still be able to eat and pay bills.

Rich Boy
    Rich Boy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1106

I bet for fun and entertainment, no ego involved.

grease lightnin
    &

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    That game for me was number 2. The point spread at 5.5 was moving on juice but I could tell that there was no pressure to go to-6. Sure some places did but 5.5 had no real $$$ pressure.

Thanks for your insight.

Well, KidBaZkiT bet -6, I jumped on -5.5 for some action (which is why I do this, really) and when I saw you post that pinny closed at -4.5, I knew my goose was cooked.
    Points Awarded:

lakerboy gave grease lightnin 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

texhooper
    texhooper's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7870

^to bet Tech all day, just like last night the only play in the clemson game was georgia, a very weak line with plus money on clemson was a dead give away that georgia was the only play in that game, it take time and many yrs to learn to see what lines are weak or not
    Nope, this is not what you said on Friday before the game. Stop rewriting history. You said the line is “dead in the water.” You did hit a first half but you’re rewriting history just like greaser said you were doing https://www.sportsbookreview.com/for...l#post30511180

carolinakid

i also said take unc for the 3rd quarter and if you check the line did move and went to 4.5 like i said too.........dont split hairs with what i said. and i did not play that game, but during the game all my posts what spot on with what happen

texhooper
    texhooper's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7870

i also said take unc for the 3rd quarter and if you check the line did move and went to 4.5 like i said too.........dont split hairs with what i said. and i did not play that game, but during the game all my posts what spot on with what happen
    Dude you got caught. The line to you did not say “take tech all day.”

You’re proving the point of the OP, you do this shit for ego.

12 Last