ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24869

U2 - music appreciation thread

OK, when a band becomes a SUPER-GROUP, it's ez for people to become jealous. Especially other musicians.

What a powerhouse band U2 is. From the beginnings, when they were the eye-catching newcomer on MTV. To the later albums they produced + still sounded good.

Where does Bono rank in the all-time vocalist rankings? It has to be very near to the top, if not #1.
    Points Awarded:

KVB gave ChuckyTheGoat 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

ChuckyTheGoat

Listen to this song. I'll steal from one of the poster comments, but I echo the thought:

*Bono has laid down some great vocals in his time. But this has to rank as one of his best showings. STAY:

ChuckyTheGoat

This was surely the 1st time I heard U2 (on MTV). Note the picture in the background. That was the original album cover for "Boy", but it was changed to not conjure up any idea of pedophilia.

The sound was so new, so fresh. I WILL FOLLOW:

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

Phenomenal band

So many 2nd and 3rd tier songs are great

Lemon
    Sweetest Thing
    Couple b sides off Joshua Tree still classic
    Points Awarded:

ChuckyTheGoat gave MinnesotaFats 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Eddy Munny
    Eddy Munny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24921

ChuckyTheGoat

Good one, Eddy.

Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

I've seen them four times in concert.

Nobody comes close.

ChuckyTheGoat

Check out the full "Boy" album. Fantastic, even though "I Will Follow" was the only single to make any noise.

Listen closely to the guy who introduces the band. He knew he was witnessing the start of something special. In 1980, he said "Band for the future. 80s or 90s, who knows?"

A great live version. How tight is their sound? STORIES FOR BOYS:

Nitrogen
    Chasing
    Nitrogen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 401

MinnesotaFats mentioned Lemon. Zooropa was the first album I didn't love the first time. Then I heard "Stay" in concert and that changed things.

Love U2.

I always laugh at people who hate any band (not just U2, any band, Nickelback which has been kind of the ongoing hate joke for years). Music is art. Some people absolutely love Skrillex, or Ke$ha or Mettalica or whatever. Imagine feeling so important that you think your taste matters to someone else when it comes to art lol.

Taking the time to tell someone you hate a band, is like wandering into the soccer sub forum and trying to explain why you hate soccer. Not only won't you change anyone's mind, but you wasted everyone's time doing it.

Favorite U2 song seen live: The Fly

TheLock
    TheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7931

The back to back combo of The Joshua Tree and then Achtung Baby may be the best back to back releases in history of pop music. Just so friggin good.

For what it’s worth, I would never dream of saying Bono is the #1 vocalist in pop/rock music. But he and the Edge could be the #1 songwriters of all time. They’re definitely up there with Jagger/Richards and Lennon/McCartney.

Mr. Teaser
    Go Terps/Nats/Skins
    Mr. Teaser's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6161

Goat
    Points Awarded:

ChuckyTheGoat gave Mr. Teaser 3 Betpoint(s) for this post.

ChuckyTheGoat

Great writeup, Lock. Very fair comment, Lock.

ChuckyTheGoat

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Teaser View Post
    Goat
    Me or them?

shooterman
    shooterman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18498

Good to see so many gamblers with great musical taste. I like to zone out to a little "Elvis Presley in America" late night before bed. Don't think they have ever played it in concert but what a great song to drift out with. On a side note, it's surprising how many U2 fans are not to familiar with "Zooropa" especially American fans, including myself up until a few years ago. I was late to the party on that one but wore it out like all their other albums.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: ChuckyTheGoat

ChuckyTheGoat

My favorite U2 song. The video was cool. Song strikes me as being so strong.

NEW YEAR'S DAY:

ChuckyTheGoat

Love this song.

PARTY GIRL:

ChuckyTheGoat

TWO HEARTS BEAT AS ONE:

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9183

In 1981 I went with a group of a dozen teenage school mates for a camping weekend, mostly to try magic mushrooms together out in the spooky bush.

Some guys I didn't know well bought along The Boy album by U2. I had never heard of U2 before. The music made that weekend super memorable.
    Points Awarded:

ChuckyTheGoat gave Optional 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: KVB

Nitrogen
    Chasing
    Nitrogen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 401

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    In 1981 I went with a group of a dozen teenage school mates for a camping weekend, mostly to try magic mushrooms together out in the spooky bush.

Some guys I didn't know well bought along The Boy album by U2. I had never heard of U2 before. The music made that weekend super memorable.
    That's disturbingly close to how I was introduced to U2 way back in the day.

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

Orbison B&W night a fabulous album w great ensemble. If you havent, just watch the guitar riffs w Springsteen and Wait
    Points Awarded:

KVB gave MinnesotaFats 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

ChuckyTheGoat

From "The Unforgettable Fire" album, WIRE:

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25689

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrogen View Post
    MinnesotaFats mentioned Lemon. Zooropa was the first album I didn't love the first time. Then I heard "Stay" in concert and that changed things.

Love U2.

I always laugh at people who hate any band (not just U2, any band, Nickelback which has been kind of the ongoing hate joke for years). Music is art. Some people absolutely love Skrillex, or Ke$ha or Mettalica or whatever. Imagine feeling so important that you think your taste matters to someone else when it comes to art lol.

Taking the time to tell someone you hate a band, is like wandering into the soccer sub forum and trying to explain why you hate soccer. Not only won't you change anyone's mind, but you wasted everyone's time doing it.

Favorite U2 song seen live: The Fly
    Zooropa really grew on me. It's probably my 3rd or 4th favorite of theirs & when I first heard it I didn't particularly like it.

One of my favorite live tracks - from Achtung Baby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUD4...&start_radio=1

boscokid
    boscokid's Avatar SBR PRO

Really torn on U2. Saw them on The Joshua Tree tour and it was probably the best show I ever saw. Raw energy, rabid fan base - they were at the height of their popularity. 1987 so Pre-internet and Ticketmaster sales were blocked out except for local outlets, limit of 2 tickets.

We actually camped out 24 hours in front of Hampton Coliseum to get our tix, everybody in the arena was invested in being there! Ended up near the front of Mezzanine S so side stage,very close to see everything. Set list was classic U2

Fast Forward 35 years and I saw them again on the Experience + Innocence tour. They Sucked! Literally no connection with the audience, set list was a jumbled mess of newer tunes and they seemed to be more focused on stage show gimmicks. . Couldnt wait for this show to be over

Much preferred hearing Bono sing Running to Stand Still in a stripped down version over his screaming/singing thru a megaphone.

boscokid
    boscokid's Avatar SBR PRO
    Points Awarded:

KVB gave boscokid 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25689

I like both sets, but I also like a lot of their new stuff as much as the old.

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

Supergroup.

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

Ratlle and hum the movie.

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

So much about U2 I like. I love the message and how they spread it.

Thanks for the thread Chucky.

ChuckyTheGoat

Bosco, the early stuff was better. I'm of the opinion that a band's most creative work usually shows up on the 1st + 2nd albums.

In the case of U2, I'd argue it was the 1st + 3rd albums. Bono lost a briefcase w/ the October lyrics. All the band members talked about being rushed and having a bad recording experience.

Even the U2 band members say they aren't too fond of the October album. After a while, your label wants you to become more commercial and then things change. I'm of the opinion that "Boy" still sounds super-fresh. I enjoy Achtung Baby and Pop albums, too.

pablo222
    pablo222's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25522

Interesting you made this thread just 2 days after my sister passed away after terrible accident.

She was the biggest U2 fan.

After graduating highschool, her and her best friend went to Ireland, going into credit card debt, to find Bono.

Long story short, after they searched for him all week with no success, they skipped their flight home because they heard he would be at his Hotel for a meeting.

Sure enough, Bono walked in late for his meeting and was still gracious enough to talk to them and sign some postcards. He doesn't do pictures.

RIP Heidi

ChuckyTheGoat

Damn, Pablo, sorry to hear that, bro.

ChuckyTheGoat

Link to story on Bono's lost briefcase.

Short story is that it altered the way they recorded 2nd album (October). Bono said that "War" really would have been the 2nd album, had he not lost the briefcase w/ his song lyrics:

https://www.atu2.com/news/30-years-o...st-lyrics.html