Capitols44
    Capitols44's Avatar Become A Pro!

Is ESPN DEAD NOW ?

With all the massive layoffs from ESPN its still losing money. Matter of fact the C.E.O. said that they were still going to pay billions of dollars for sports fees. Sound like ESPN actually had the chance to combat the cable companies earlier and end the marriage with them. The customers always wanted to watch sports online on their phones, tablets or computers.You can pretty much do that with NFL.COM mlb.com and NHL.com but you cant do it with college football or college basketball except for the tournament. I would say the only thing holding ESPN together is airing college football and college basketball. I wonder if ESPN finally closes shop and sells off the rights to the highest bidder ? Seem like if it were possible ESPN would make an online platform to watch and place the channel for free over the air digital television it could work.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

If your a ghetto or minority lover then you love ESPN

Foxx
    Foxx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11854

I was at a restaurant earlier for lunch. They had ESPN on and it was Max Kellerman and Stephen A. Smith on the screen. I insisted they change the channel.

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

only time I watch espn is when Stephen Colbert, nancy grace, and Anderson cooper are on every single other channel

jjgold

Garbage

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15084

It won't die, mainly because nobody else has enough money to scrape together to make a more popular product. We're stuck with it. Just keep not watching and hope for the best.

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Quote Originally Posted by Foxx View Post
    I was at a restaurant earlier for lunch. They had ESPN on and it was Max Kellerman and Stephen A. Smith on the screen. I insisted they change the channel.

Capitols44
    Capitols44's Avatar Become A Pro!

The reason it is dead is ESPN had a monopoly on all sports for about 20 years but that is gone.

There are plenty of sports on TV these days, and a lot of sports-only channels. If you are an NBA die hardfan, you don't need ESPN you can watch NBA TV and get better coverage. Same goes for MLB, NHL and NFL. Diehard fans can buy the MLB package and then will probably never watch another game on ESPN because of the extra commercials. Casual fans can watch game highlights on their phone or computer and don't need ESPN either...

That leaves live college sports, and nowadays there are 15+ college games on at any given time.

Another problem is millenials and streaming. Used to be there were a ton of 20 year olds that all they did was watch ESPN Sportscenter. Now a lot of them live with mom and dad, and the ones that don't probably use their parent's cable account password to stream games.

And cable TV didn't used to be so darn expensive...

dlowilly
    dlowilly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 192573

Quote Originally Posted by Capitols44 View Post
    The reason it is dead is ESPN had a monopoly on all sports for about 20 years but that is gone.

There are plenty of sports on TV these days, and a lot of sports-only channels. If you are an NBA die hardfan, you don't need ESPN you can watch NBA TV and get better coverage. Same goes for MLB, NHL and NFL. Diehard fans can buy the MLB package and then will probably never watch another game on ESPN because of the extra commercials. Casual fans can watch game highlights on their phone or computer and don't need ESPN either...

That leaves live college sports, and nowadays there are 15+ college games on at any given time.

Another problem is millenials and streaming. Used to be there were a ton of 20 year olds that all they did was watch ESPN Sportscenter. Now a lot of them live with mom and dad, and the ones that don't probably use their parent's cable account password to stream games.

And cable TV didn't used to be so darn expensive...
    I disagree. If they could have just stuck to sports they could have kept their monopoly. Who wants to stream events to their phone or computer with delays and freezes when you can watch it on widescreen cable hdtv? But no, they had to push women at Augusta national, and Michael Sam, and Caitlyn Jenner. They had to push racial black commentators and commentary. They had to fill panels with thugs and criminals, along with their weak grasp of meaningful commentary and the English language in general. People can point to other things, but if they would have stayed with what their name implies many people including me wouldn't be scrambling to turn the channel as soon as a live game ends.

thedenthead
    thedenthead's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1843

Remember the "ESPN phone" they released about 10 years ago? Hahah

jjgold

Espn ok for colllege game day in both sports

krk1030
    krk1030's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4884

Not dead, but they are now just as reliant on the contracts to air games as everyone else.

Nobody gives a shit about sportcenter or whatever else they put on

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

I only watch the live sports.

jjgold

Otter your smart

nyplayer33
    nyplayer33's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

They are done. Smart phones..did them in. ESPN 2..lol..

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Espn is owned by Disney. They have more than enough $ to keep it afloat for the next several years

manny24
    pay Bobby
    manny24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 649

Quote Originally Posted by Otters27 View Post
    I only watch the live sports.
    good call Otters replays are for hosers

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13188

I only watch the replays

ManOfValue
    ManOfValue's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1796

Been dead for a while to me.

manny24
    pay Bobby
    manny24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 649

Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    I only watch the replays
    take off hey!

Harry N. Lloyd
    Harry N. Lloyd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12914

Once upon a time ESPN was the greatest thing that ever happened to TV sports fans. Then little by little everything was about hiring females and promoting diversity, minorities, etc. Wow! It's barely recognizable and it's a terrible product. Who on earth are they tailoring their product towards? Take for instance that new SportsCenter with the angry black guy and girl--Who do they think gives a crap enough to tune in to see their opinions? Meanwhile, decades worth of loyal sports fans are changing the channel as quickly as possible. Unfathomable.

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma

koolookookookookookookoo

Points Awarded:

manny24 gave gauchojake 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

slambam
    slambam's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 40

Quote Originally Posted by Harry N. Lloyd View Post
    Once upon a time ESPN was the greatest thing that ever happened to TV sports fans. Then little by little everything was about hiring females and promoting diversity, minorities, etc. Wow! It's barely recognizable and it's a terrible product. Who on earth are they tailoring their product towards? Take for instance that new SportsCenter with the angry black guy and girl--Who do they think gives a crap enough to tune in to see their opinions? Meanwhile, decades worth of loyal sports fans are changing the channel as quickly as possible. Unfathomable.
    This is actually true. ESPN used to have great personalities - Kenny Mayne, Stuart Scott, Dan Patrick, etc. Then they got into annoying dbags. Sportscenter is worthless imo. First off, nobody wants to sit around and wait 40 minutes for certain highlights when they can pull then up on their phone. Secondly, SC can't get off certain topics, even if it's the middle of the offseason and nothing is happening. It's a brutal product, and they made it that way.

kingdom
    kingdom's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1957

what sport show on any other network is beating them in any time slot? ESPN's death has been greatly exxagerated. Cowherd and Bayless leave and their shows are barely watched after being two of the more popular on the network. and to compare whatever that corny show is on Fox Sports to sportscenter is ridiculous. Cable prices are ridiculous with other options causing the decline. Cable companies would be dead without ESPN

nyplayer33
    nyplayer33's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

Jalen rose n white guy...huge ghetto crap. Steven a smith..another black hero crap. Too bad they didn't fire golick..waste of time

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.
    GUMMO77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1726

Quote Originally Posted by nyplayer33 View Post
    They are done. Smart phones..did them in. ESPN 2..lol..

beavis13
    beavis13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9739

Long live the ocho!

thechaoz
    2019 SBRs Toughest Poster
    thechaoz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35902

I miss Sunday night show with Boom and Tjack

beavis13
    beavis13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9739

Not gonna lie, kinda liked that Stump the Schwab show. Kinda like
    a sports jeopardy show.

jjgold

I just get basic cable now with good internet

It is all you need

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

ESPN will have to adjust... and I don't think they were really ready for this?

You can easily stream sports elsewhere... I could careless about ESPN's opinionated liberal talk. They have nothing going for them. When you have to reconstruct your top 300 employees wages... there's some interesting sh#$ going on.

Reminds my of how Blockbuster Video was the leader when renting movies... mysteriously Redbox came into play... and then Netflix. Then look what happened to Blockbuster? Think about it. Blockbuster Video was the absolute LEADER in home entertainment.

With so many networks... all it takes is one major corporate fuk up to dismantle your entire operation. Sure Disney owns ESPN etc... but regardless... once you start reporting declining numbers... is the juice worth the squeeze? I wouldn't be surprised if Disney is taking offers on ESPN at the moment and it's all HUSH HUSH.

jjgold

Disney trying to unload ESPN

Nobody wants it

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

Quote Originally Posted by beavis13 View Post
    Not gonna lie, kinda liked that Stump the Schwab show. Kinda like
    a sports jeopardy show.
    Schwab writes the questions for Sports Jeopardy, hosted by Dan Patrick on NBCSN

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma

Nino writes the answers for real jeopardy

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    ESPN will have to adjust... and I don't think they were really ready for this?

You can easily stream sports elsewhere... I could careless about ESPN's opinionated liberal talk. They have nothing going for them. When you have to reconstruct your top 300 employees wages... there's some interesting sh#$ going on.

Reminds my of how Blockbuster Video was the leader when renting movies... mysteriously Redbox came into play... and then Netflix. Then look what happened to Blockbuster? Think about it. Blockbuster Video was the absolute LEADER in home entertainment.

With so many networks... all it takes is one major corporate fuk up to dismantle your entire operation. Sure Disney owns ESPN etc... but regardless... once you start reporting declining numbers... is the juice worth the squeeze? I wouldn't be surprised if Disney is taking offers on ESPN at the moment and it's all HUSH HUSH.
    I don't think you can compare Blockbuster to ESPN. I think it'd be naive to think ESPN is going to disappear. Think about it. You know what the budget is like on some of these shows they have? It's ridiculous. and some of the salaries of the employees? Million dollar contracts for some guy that's on TV 30 minutes a day. And they're wondering why they don't make more money.

The product of ESPN is here to stay forever. Not everyone is going to sign into their accounts, stream something, do all this BS when they have cable TV. If that were the case, Netflix and Hulu and all this shit would have dominated Comcast already and put them out of business and that's not the case.

12 Last