falconticket
    falconticket's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1762

It just cant happen with a gas stove. Dont do it

DRZ
    Update your status
    DRZ's Avatar Become A Pro!

Extremely dangerous. Don't know why you would even think about it.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Quote Originally Posted by falconticket View Post
    Ovens don't use 500 watts per hour. That is not an actual term. Wattage is a continuous rating of power derived from Voltage Multiplied by current. An average oven actually consumes 2000 watts at 350 degrees, so to run it for 24 hours would be 48 KWH. However a typical heat pump runs about 3000 watts, but would not run for 24 hours at a time./. An oven would be extremely inefficient way to heat a room mainly because it has no blower. It would certainly be very expensive, and would only heat a small area. However in a dire situation it would keep you alive. You would basically just set up your chairs around it. This can not be done with a gas oven, since they are not vented to the outside. Eventually you would die from CO poisoning. Your circuit analysis is dismal at best. You are correct in your conclusion though.
    What would be a dire situation where you can't use your heat pump to heat the house and would have to use an electric or gas stove? I'm pretty sure you can't save any money by running the electric/gas stove instead of the heat pump.

What if you fall asleep on the chair next to the electric/gas stove?

I would rather sleep in my bed with the heat pump on than seat on a chair next to a stove's open door if it costs me the same or less.

The Inevitable
    The Inevitable's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3256

I've read most comments in this thread and it seems people are just responding with answers of 'this is what I think would happen.' If you don't have a gas oven or never used one, you really shouldn't be responding. If you ever owned one you would realize what you are saying is just a concern and not an actual fact. No you're not going to blow up, or whatever someone said and no to all the other comments filled with conjecture.

I actually have a gas stove/oven. When in college, I did plenty of times use a gas stove to heat part of my apartment. I never had a problem during the process. Of course I would turn it off after a couple hours to save on energy and also I would only use it to heat my kitchen and a small area around my kitchen. But from my experience I can tell you two things: 1.) it would take a *very* long time to heat an entire apartment and I wouldn't recommend doing it, 2.) your gas bill would be considerably high.

If you want your house to stay warm all the time, you should just get a floor heater. I only used the oven when I was washing dishes or cleaning in my kitchen when it was unbearably cold. These tasks only took half hour or an hour, (depending if I were breaking to check in on a football game or something). I think the most I left it on, was for 2 hours and never had a problem.

And as for the CO comments, I'm no chemist but CO is said to be odorless. Whenever the pilot would go out, (meaning the flame goes out but the gas continues to release), I could distinctly smell an order in the air. It is a awful smell, which will make you want to correct the problem immediately (i.e. lighting the pilot).

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4591

Regardless. If your using a stove to warm yourself up, then you have issues and shouldn't be on this "gambling" site. Turn the damn heater on.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by The Inevitable View Post
    I've read most comments in this thread and it seems people are just responding with answers of 'this is what I think would happen.' If you don't have a gas oven or never used one, you really shouldn't be responding. If you ever owned one you would realize what you are saying is just a concern and not an actual fact. No you're not going to blow up, or whatever someone said and no to all the other comments filled with conjecture.

I actually have a gas stove/oven. When in college, I did plenty of times use a gas stove to heat part of my apartment. I never had a problem during the process. Of course I would turn it off after a couple hours to save on energy and also I would only use it to heat my kitchen and a small area around my kitchen. But from my experience I can tell you two things: 1.) it would take a *very* long time to heat an entire apartment and I wouldn't recommend doing it, 2.) your gas bill would be considerably high.

If you want your house to stay warm all the time, you should just get a floor heater. I only used the oven when I was washing dishes or cleaning in my kitchen when it was unbearably cold. These tasks only took half hour or an hour, (depending if I were breaking to check in on a football game or something). I think the most I left it on, was for 2 hours and never had a problem.

And as for the CO comments, I'm no chemist but CO is said to be odorless. Whenever the pilot would go out, (meaning the flame goes out but the gas continues to release), I could distinctly smell an order in the air. It is a awful smell, which will make you want to correct the problem immediately (i.e. lighting the pilot).
    Why did you decide to use the stove to heat the apartment in college since your gas bill would go up? Was it because the heat in the apartment was broken?

falconticket

Carbon monoxide is odorless, when your pilot light goes out you are smelling sulfur that is put into the natural gas by your utility company. Carbon Monoxide is a byproduct of burning gas, and is odorless. If your pilot light goes out the thermocouple should halt the gas flow. Ovens today rarely have pilot lights. they have electric starters.

falconticket

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    What would be a dire situation where you can't use your heat pump to heat the house and would have to use an electric or gas stove? I'm pretty sure you can't save any money by running the electric/gas stove instead of the heat pump.

What if you fall asleep on the chair next to the electric/gas stove?

I would rather sleep in my bed with the heat pump on than seat on a chair next to a stove's open door if it costs me the same or less.
    I suppose if you live in alaska or up north and your furnace is busted. you could huddle around the oven. I don't think I will ever have that problem here in Ga.

The Inevitable

Why did you decide to use the stove to heat the apartment in college since your gas bill would go up? Was it because the heat in the apartment was broken?
    In college, the apartment I was at did not have central heat or a/c. Had to get a/c units if I wanted to stay cool and floor heaters if I wanted to be warm.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

In college, the apartment I was at did not have central heat or a/c. Had to get a/c units if I wanted to stay cool and floor heaters if I wanted to be warm.
    That makes sense. But you can buy a space heater for less than $50 and move it wherever you want in the apartment instead of huddling around the stove to get warm.

The Inevitable

Quote Originally Posted by falconticket View Post
    Carbon monoxide is odorless, when your pilot light goes out you are smelling sulfur that is put into the natural gas by your utility company. Carbon Monoxide is a byproduct of burning gas, and is odorless. If your pilot light goes out the thermocouple should halt the gas flow. Ovens today rarely have pilot lights. they have electric starters.
    For the stove I had, the pilot would go out and the gas would continue to release. As for CO, there can't be much coming from the result of burning a stove or oven sized flame. Not enough to kill anyone.

And a little bit off subject, I think gas stoves/ovens are better than electric. Your food takes longer to cook with an electric stove. First, the burner has to warm up, then that heat is transferred from the burner to your pot, then to your food. With a gas stove, the flame is already hot enough to be immediately used for cooking. Thus, there's only the transfer of the heat from the pot to your food, to begin the cooking process.

The Inevitable

That makes sense. But you can buy a space heater for less than $50 and move it wherever you want in the apartment instead of huddling around the stove to get warm.
    No, you misunderstood me. In my post I said I would do this whenever I was cooking or cleaning the kitchen. I didn't do any huddling.

I did have a floor heater and it stayed in my bedroom. I couldn't really get a second one because I was a cliched poor college student. I don't even want to get into the amount of things I had to pay for.

Flexin
    Flexin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 51

For the stove I had, the pilot would go out and the gas would continue to release. As for CO, there can't be much coming from the result of burning a stove or oven sized flame. Not enough to kill anyone. And a little bit off subject, I think gas stoves/ovens are better than electric. Your food takes longer to cook with an electric stove. First, the burner has to warm up, then that heat is transferred from the burner to your pot, then to your food. With a gas stove, the flame is already hot enough to be immediately used for cooking. Thus, there's only the transfer of the heat from the pot to your food, to begin the cooking process.
    The longer it burns the more CO in the room. 1% is a problem. Do not use a gas stove to heat a house. If you have a vent that is exhausted outside then you would be safer but your also removing some heat your trying to keep in. Find a better way to heat your place. There are much cheaper and safer ways to do it.

James

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Its pretty srs in here

You guys must be a lot of fun at parties

First 12