benjy
    Untitled
    benjy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2882

Ebook Readers

I thought I'd hate reading books on the computer but I've had to lately and it hasn't been so bad. I'm always carrying a book around with me anyways and there's a huge amount of content available online (both free and paid) so I'm thinking of getting a ebook reader. After reading some reviews the Ectaco Jetbooks look to be the best fit for me.

Anyone have one of these or any other brand?

ttrace35
    ttrace35's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1782

I have a few ebooks. And mobireader to read them on my blackberry.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

spend the dough on either an ipad and get the free kindle app or get a kindle 3g.

benjy
    Untitled

Quote Originally Posted by Grits n' Gravy View Post
    spend the dough on either an ipad and get the free kindle app or get a kindle 3g.
    From the reviews I've read the Jetbook seems better than the Kindle (provided you don't plan on using the 3g). The iPad is definitely more versatile but 1) it's way more expensive and 2) it's much bigger and won't fit in a pocket.

If you have had a different experience I'd like to hear about it.

GmCrazy
    GmCrazy's Avatar Become A Pro!

These ipads and such makes more sense than buying paperback now.

chilidog
    chilidog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 956

I have a kindle wifi, and I love it. I wouldn't want to get an ipad to read ebooks, because the screen is way too bright. The kindle uses e-paper, and it looks exactly like you're reading a book.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4651

Quote Originally Posted by chilidog View Post
    I have a kindle wifi, and I love it. I wouldn't want to get an ipad to read ebooks, because the screen is way too bright. The kindle uses e-paper, and it looks exactly like you're reading a book.
    Adjusting brightness on the iPad wouldn't help?

Not sure I would spend on just a ebook reader. I would have to get something like a iPad or a Android Tablet that could do multiple things, including ebooks.

JReeler
    JReeler's Avatar Become A Pro!

It works really good

Boscoe
    Boscoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 494

love my kindle. sounds like that jetbook supports more formats, but is that really a big deal? i know some libraries offer e-borrowing on non-kindle formats, so maybe that's something you'll use. kindle battery life blows jetbook out of the water though.

Metalspined
    Metalspined's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 44

Kindle is a good choice, but I find that I never use it anymore after I got my Samsung Galaxy Tab...the Kindle app for Android is very good, and as tabs are really only fashion accessory I can just as well use it to read ebooks btw...the choice in books on Amazon Kindle is insane...

Flyers21
    Flyers21's Avatar Become A Pro!

I have the iPad which does a really good job, but like you said it is also a lot more expensive.

ProfaneReality
    ProfaneReality's Avatar Become A Pro!

i suggest the nook, i like it

jw
    jw's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6737

My wife has had two of the sony e-readers now ... I'm pretty sure she has had it surgically attached to her somehow ,,, she never puts it down. For me - it seems a little slow to load .. but I have nothing to compare it to .. so no idea if that is "normal"

robmpink
    Update your status
    robmpink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

I like the Kindle wi fi as well. Sucks, I don't have wi fi and had to go to Mcdonalds to register and upload the books i bought. It only took a few minutes and that was getting a version update as well.

chachi
    Lazy Git
    chachi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

android tablet + kindle reader and other ebook readers

a 10" android tablet can be had from lightinthebox or similar for under $200 and does sooooooo much more

Data
    Data's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by benjy View Post
    I thought I'd hate reading books on the computer but I've had to lately and it hasn't been so bad. I'm always carrying a book around with me anyways and there's a huge amount of content available online (both free and paid) so I'm thinking of getting a ebook reader. After reading some reviews the Ectaco Jetbooks look to be the best fit for me.

Anyone have one of these or any other brand?
    I own Kindle and I played a few minutes with JetBook. Subjectively, Kindle is ecstatically pleasing while JetBook looks like a piece of cheap crap. Objectively, the display technologies are different, E Ink vs. LCD. Your eyes will thank you if you choose E Ink (Kindle). Other factors like file formats support and wireless are gimmicks and of no importance whatsoever. Jetbooks are cheaper. Do you want to save a few bucks at the expense of your eyes? It is like choosing what TV to buy. I own Pioneer Kuro, some people own Sylvania.

JReeler
    JReeler's Avatar Become A Pro!

Good stuff I like it

chachi
    Lazy Git
    chachi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

I agree the e-ink display has its benefits ...

To me the added/extreme difference in functionality (like using the android tablet as a wizz-bang media remote for the htpc, games, full browser/email/etc) swayed me to that side but I can see the logic behind preferring a Kindle reader if that will be primary use.

benjy
    Untitled

chili and others, have you done a comparison w/ other e-readers? Do you use the wi-fi and does the DRM give you any headaches?

Boscoe, if you're having issues w/ formats try Calibre (free software). I've just started using it and it seems to do a good job.

Profane, why did you select the Nook?

jw, the Sonys have their own eInk don't they? Your wife must really like it if she's got her 2nd one.

Data, thank you for sharing your comparison.

Boscoe
    Boscoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 494

Yeah, the e-ink is much easier on the eyes....

Thanks for the info on Calibre. I'll check it out.

MadTiger
    Wait 'til next year!
    MadTiger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 47

Quote Originally Posted by chachi View Post
    android tablet + kindle reader and other ebook readers a 10" android tablet can be had from lightinthebox or similar for under $200 and does sooooooo much more
    Something like this in the future for me. I am too damn poor have the privilege of owning something that can't do multiple things.

pedro803
    pedro803's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5708

question to kindle owners --

if I already have a book on pdf can I load it on kindle via usb drive or via email if the file is small enough to email?

in other words, can I read pdf files that I already have --- can I load them on kindle for free? or do they have some kind of proprietary bs that would keep me from doing this without paying them a fee?

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J
    ngates815's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by pedro803 View Post
    question to kindle owners -- if I already have a book on pdf can I load it on kindle via usb drive or via email if the file is small enough to email? in other words, can I read pdf files that I already have --- can I load them on kindle for free? or do they have some kind of proprietary bs that would keep me from doing this without paying them a fee?

Not 100% sure. I had the Kindle 3G and am only keeping it to send emails while out of country, where there isn't free Wifi. I really hated my kindle, couldn't stand the way books looked on there.

Use my Asus Tablet as an E-reader now, much better and nothing beats getting books for free (not sure if you could with kindle, never tried)

Resler
    Resler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 57

I have a kindle and its great.