zam77
    zam77's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 687

Is there still value in collecting baseball/basketball cards??

Just recently my 8 yr old has been getting into collecting cards... It got me to thinking what the value of this is anymore. It's been over 20 years for me so I honestly have no idea... but it seems to me that the market is oversaturated with lots of crap these days so my guess is it's nothing like it use to be when Fleer, Topps, Donruss, Upper Deck and Score were the main 5 and you could really capitalize on buying a $1 pack of cards.

Anyone out there know what's good now, if anything... what to spend money on to help the boy start getting a good collection going?

Thoughts?

ncat12
    ncat12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 32

like the thread wish I had some answers for ya, hopefully someone will come by w/ decent info on this subject

kiln
    Ezekiel 25:17
    kiln's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 436

Here's the deal: the trading card market reached saturation in the mid- to late 90's, not coincidentally coinciding with the tech boom. A lot of people suddenly had money to indulge their childhood fancies and since many of the newly rich weren't too far from their childhoods to begin with, things like comic books and trading cards were hot items. Then came Operation Bullpen. This was massive federal sting aimed at stopping the large scale counterfeiting that began to plague the card and collectibles industry as it was really heating up towards the turn of the millennium. The Feds did a really great job cleaning up a lot of the counterfeiting, but the industry has suffered a black eye since then especially given that some official estimates put counterfeit merchandise at 90% of the total merchandise on the market. Couple that with the steroid scandal (I bought a bunch of McGwire rookies for around $50 each around ten years ago; I couldn't sell them for half that now) and the complete tanking of the global economy and you're left where we are today: cards are not the investment they once were. A lot of people were chased away and a lot of people can't afford to play any more. Also, the really valuable, expensive stuff is very expensive to begin with. I'm talking hundreds of dollars per pack with each pack having only a couple of cards (Topps Tribute, for instance). The days of rare finds are over. Every rookie who ever scratched his jock has a card now and the hyped rookies have numerous cards, parallels, inserts, short prints, and memorabilia cards printed before they even step on a diamond at spring training. The little money there is in the game is in relics, memorabilia, and graded cards. As it is it's always a crap shoot anyway. Good luck. I hope I've helped without dulling your or your kid's enthusiasm. Card collecting is still a great hobby!

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

it's all bullsh1t now....any card that ends up being worth anything is cuz it's got some swatch of jersey or a guys autograph. half those types of cards are like $10 and up per pack

there arent any affordable cards for kids that will hold value

that said if the kid likes it then keep him going....lotta worse things he could be doing!

bamacards
    bamacards's Avatar Become A Pro!

just enjoy the cards---no big value to them anymore

zam77
    zam77's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by kiln View Post
    Here's the deal: the trading card market reached saturation in the mid- to late 90's, not coincidentally coinciding with the tech boom. A lot of people suddenly had money to indulge their childhood fancies and since many of the newly rich weren't too far from their childhoods to begin with, things like comic books and trading cards were hot items. Then came Operation Bullpen. This was massive federal sting aimed at stopping the large scale counterfeiting that began to plague the card and collectibles industry as it was really heating up towards the turn of the millennium. The Feds did a really great job cleaning up a lot of the counterfeiting, but the industry has suffered a black eye since then especially given that some official estimates put counterfeit merchandise at 90% of the total merchandise on the market. Couple that with the steroid scandal (I bought a bunch of McGwire rookies for around $50 each around ten years ago; I couldn't sell them for half that now) and the complete tanking of the global economy and you're left where we are today: cards are not the investment they once were. A lot of people were chased away and a lot of people can't afford to play any more. Also, the really valuable, expensive stuff is very expensive to begin with. I'm talking hundreds of dollars per pack with each pack having only a couple of cards (Topps Tribute, for instance). The days of rare finds are over. Every rookie who ever scratched his jock has a card now and the hyped rookies have numerous cards, parallels, inserts, short prints, and memorabilia cards printed before they even step on a diamond at spring training. The little money there is in the game is in relics, memorabilia, and graded cards. As it is it's always a crap shoot anyway. Good luck. I hope I've helped without dulling your or your kid's enthusiasm. Card collecting is still a great hobby!

Well that pretty much sums it up in a nutshell... Great post... Thanks!

mattmc419
    mattmc419's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

I buy basketball cards and take them to the games to get signed. Have a decent collection with some great players mixed in.

They probably aren't worth much, but might be a little more valuable autographed. I don't really plan to try to sell any of my autographed pictures, jerseys, or cards anyways though.

ehp6737
    ehp6737's Avatar Become A Pro!

Over saturation and Ebay (especially Ebay) have deystroyed the market for modern cards (80's-present) There is still a good market for vintage cards, especially graded ones pre-1970, but it sounds like you're asking about purchasing new cards. They're is no money to be made as packs are so overpriced these days. I tried getting back into collecting a few years ago because I was intrigued by all the new signature cards and inserts they offer, but I soon realized it's not financially viable. But if you have the extra cash to spare, just consider it entertaiment like going to the movies etc, because I'm sure your son will be excited to open packs and get autographed cards, etc. MAKE SURE if you or your son do buy cards that you only buy "hobby boxes", which you can get at cards stores/shows (if there is one in your area) or online. DO NOT buy "retail boxes" at Walamrt, Kmart, etc. The ratio of inserted cards (auto's, swatches, etc) per box are much lower in retail boxes.

oiler
    oiler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2500

big fan of collecting cards and some i got are worth some good money.been saving them since i was 6years old

pinchylarue
    *** SBR'S WORST POKER PLAYER ***
    pinchylarue's Avatar Become A Pro!

only if they are like ovechkin signed rookies, everything else now adays is pretty much generic

dngf
    Update your status
    dngf's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 85284

I thought kiln's post was very good. I would probably agree the value is gone. But it is still fun to open packs of cards. I am sure I will buy some of those Topp's diamond anniversary cards some time this year. In fact I just went to the Topp's site and bought a box of cards. It will be fun to open them. I have thousands of cards, unfortunately, none of them are from when I was a kid, but some of them do contain Mark McGwire in a USA baseball uniform. I will say that kiln is right the prices have sure come down. I would love to get sets from 1964, 1965, 1966, back when I was 8 to 10, but I haven't yet and probably wont.

There may not be the value, but it is still fun and should be for your son.

bballs84
    bballs84's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 40233

I am now 26.. Have tons of sets of cards from 1987 on.. Boxes that are not even open yet.. What do I do with them all?

antifoil
    Update your status
    antifoil's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6611

kids play video games instead of collect cards

DeluxeLiner
    DeluxeLiner's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2280

if you find enjoyment in collecting then go for it...in terms of an investment generally it seems having something that will make you money and not have the risk of being destroyed is probably a better idea.

ZetaPsi808
    July 2011 Poster of the Month
    ZetaPsi808's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1982

no. more value in collecting bottles and cans

HauntingTheHoly
    HauntingTheHoly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 483

I have a Glenallen Hill Tops card from 1987. Wooden boarder. Am I rich?

nosniboR11
    fu
    nosniboR11's Avatar Become A Pro!

too many too count these days

flyingillini
    flyingillini's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2187

I am invest and collect in PreWar PSA & SGC cards.. There is big time money in this and it's hard to compete. I am into E,D,Type and 19th Century...I am in the middle of trying to finish a D304 1911 set, one of the hardest to complete... This is just like fine art and you have to really know what you are doing. I have been into the hobby for many years but I only deal with PreWar graded material... Usually for investment purposes..

spankie
    Long Live Rodney!
    spankie's Avatar Become A Pro!

I would say the most easy/newbie way to collect/make money on cards is to buy rookie card lots for cheap when they first come out, or buy boxes, sell the autos, and keep the rookies. It really depends on the sport and the cards you get but holding on to rookies and later getting the solid value rookies graded for 9-10's you will make some money.

shaggy3000
    shaggy3000's Avatar Become A Pro!

that ship might have sailed. i think the one guy is right. they wont have near the value they use to for collectors because of all the video games

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30698

Cards are worth shit now. $10-$15 cards sell on ebay for $1

CMNoney
    CMNoney's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6389

Yes. But some packs cost up to $1000+ nowadays.

CMNoney
    CMNoney's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6389

Also, if you're looking into buying packs/boxes/cases I would suggest www.blowoutcards.com
    Also www.freedomcardboard.com has a forum that has a lot of traffic if you have any specific questions. Very knowledgable users who have been in the hobby/business for years.

dbartinbwgc
    dbartinbwgc's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21563

A few weeks ago going through moms garage after dad passed away.
    I found a complete set of the first WWF trading cards in plastic
    Hopefully i can get a pizza out of it.

ehp6737
    ehp6737's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by bballs84 View Post
    I am now 26.. Have tons of sets of cards from 1987 on.. Boxes that are not even open yet.. What do I do with them all?
    You'd be lucky to get pennies on the dollar of book value. Those years are the worst as far as mass prosuction and oversaturation. I would recommend the fireplace

hhsilver
    hhsilver's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29934

any offers for my Brooks Robinson 1957 rookie card or #1 Ted Williams 1957 --- both excellent condition ( but not graded) ..... I have many others stars from that era, but I think these are my two most valuable

Hootie Johnson
    Hootie Johnson's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8105

When the hell are my Ken Griffey Jr. rookie cards going to finally start going up in value?

obamaismyuncle
    obamaismyuncle's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Hootie Johnson View Post
    When the hell are my Ken Griffey Jr. rookie cards going to finally start going up in value?

I would guess you're talking about the 1989 Griffey Upperdeck man I remember when this was the hottest card on the market for about a 5 year span. Still own 4 or 5 of them myself, believe still worth around $50 each.

obamaismyuncle

Quote Originally Posted by HauntingTheHoly View Post
    I have a Glenallen Hill Tops card from 1987. Wooden boarder. Am I rich?

lol, no worth about .03

obamaismyuncle

Any of you guys remember this card?

As far as my card collection I wouldn't even know where to begin pretty much own everything in the 80's and early 90's. Unopened sets, boxes, everything. Multiples of everything. I have tons and tons of baseball, football, basketball and hockey cards none of them graded many of them in screw tight holders in the safe.

cala56
    cala56's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5810

yes, baseball cards are great.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68521

The 1.50 or so that you spend on each pack should not be looked upon as a hobby that will increase in value anymore.Many have stated this already.Also, because the hobby has become so " condition sensitive" kids can not enjoy the cards if they get them.
    Let your son open,play with,sort,or put in binders any and all cards that he wants.
    The joy and memories he gets from doing that will be well worth the cost.
    Him having expensive cards at that age will not be very enjoyable.

zam77
    zam77's Avatar SBR PRO

Lots of great posts and insight... I think the best part about collecting cards as a kids is how it helps you learn the players names and teams, and how you can check out their stats on the back. It's also fun to buy a Beckett every so often and check values. From a kids point of view, getting a card worth $1 will still provide excitement. Any investment made into this is for fun, learning and trading... unless you were going for rare collectors items, sets, etc..

On a side note, if I started to collect as an adult I would go for the 1986 Fleer basketball complete set. Tons of great cards in this set, not to mention Chris Mullin's rookie card (oh and Jordan's too).

dngf
    Update your status
    dngf's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 85284

EddieMony
    EddieMony's Avatar Become A Pro!

I wish I still had all my dads old cards.

12 Last