DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8393

Deadwood Colorado (Between 1887 and 1892)

awesome pictures - Notice there's no golden arches? I just love these old pics. Really shows how far we have come in such a short time.

Between 1887 and 1892, John C.H. Grabill sent 188 photographs to the Library of Congress for copyright protection. Grabill is known as a western photographer, documenting many aspects of frontier life – hunting, mining, western town landscapes and white settlers’ relationships with Native Americans. Most of his work is centered on Deadwood in the late 1880s and 1890s. He is most often sited for his photographs in the aftermath of the Wounded Knee Massacre on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation

Tons more pics ----> http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured...the-west/2713/

Title: "The Deadwood Coach" Side view of a stagecoach; formally dressed men sitting in and on top of coach. 1889. Repository: Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540

Title: Villa of Brule A Lakota tipi camp near Pine Ridge, in background; horses at White Clay Creek watering hole, in the foreground. 1891. Repository: Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540

Title: Ox teams at Sturgis, D.T. [i.e. Dakota Territory] Line of oxen and wagons along main street. [between 1887 and 1892] Repository: Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540

Title: The last large bull train on its way from the railroad to the Black Hills Summary: Train of oxen and three wagons in open field. 1890. Repository: Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540

Title: Freighting in "The Black Hills". Photographed between Sturgis and Deadwood Full view of ox trains, between Sturgis and Deadwood, S.D. 1891. Repository: Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540

Title: Freighting in the Black Hills A woman and a boy using bullwhackers to control a train of oxen. [between 1887 and 1892] Repository: Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540

Title: At the Dance. Part of the 8th U.S. Cavalry and 3rd Infantry at the great Indian Grass Dance on Reservation Group portrait of Big Foot's (Miniconjou) band and federal military men, in an open field, at a Grass Dance on the Cheyenne River, S.D.--on or near Cheyenne River Indian Reservation. 1890. Repository: Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540

Title: Indian chiefs who counciled with Gen. Miles and setteled [sic] the Indian War -- 1. Standing Bull, 2. Bear Who Looks Back Running [Stands and Looks Back], 3. Has the Big White Horse, 4. White Tail, 5. Liver [or Living] Bear, 6. Little Thunder, 7. Bull Dog, 8. High Hawk, 9. Lame, 10. Eagle Pipe Posed group portrait of Lakota chiefs standing in front of tipi--probably on or near Pine Ridge Indian Reservation. 1891. Repository: Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540

Title: U.S. School for Indians at Pine Ridge, S.D. Small Oglala tipi camp in front of large government school buildings in open field. 1891. Repository: Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540

Title: "Hostile Indian camp" Bird's-eye view of a large Lakota camp of tipis, horses, and wagons--probably on or near Pine Ridge Indian Reservation. 1891. Repository: Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540

NrmlCurvSurfr
    NrmlCurvSurfr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 600

Pretty cool, nice find.

ehp6737
    ehp6737's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 32

nice pics, love this kind of history

EDDIE MONEY LINE
    Get duckets
    EDDIE MONEY LINE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3311

reminds me of red dead redemption hahaha

stealthyburrito
    Alien Robot Sex Party
    stealthyburrito's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11893

Glad I opened this thread, good pics, always appreciate a little history. Will check out the link when I get a moment.

kmarinouofm
    Those who stay.. will be Champions!
    kmarinouofm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3445

i am guessing they refinished the photos a bit?

because they look amazing.. just amazing..

great find dude..

best thread i have seen today

DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8393

ya I was really impressed with the quality of the photos. Seems so long ago but then again, not that long really.
    Points Awarded:

chemicalbrother gave DwightShrute 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

FuzzyDunlop
    Poster of the Month October 2015
    FuzzyDunlop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

The best camera of the time wasn't too far off from late 60s run of the mills. At the time it cost $370 or $8840.27 in todays money.

chemicalbrother
    Under the Influence
    chemicalbrother's Avatar Become A Pro!

awesome, thanks.

Carseller4
    Carseller4's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4985

Visited Deadwood, SOUTH DAKOTA when I about 8 years old.....really had a lasting effect on me, Wild Bill Hickok, A's & 8's (the dead man's hand) Mt. Rushmore. Would love to back one day!

C-Gold
    C-Gold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 843

You should photoshop JJgold into those pictures.

I'll bet Brock Landers bet on General Custer in the battle of Little big horn back then LMAO

biff
    dead
    biff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

great pics Shrute, thanks a lot.

any see deadwood HBO series here? well stupid question. but on to my rant... the first season was great I could not get enough of it. second season seemed they hired some queer writers. All of a sudden they start speaking in some kind of shakespeare and call me stupid but i could not understand a damn thing any one was saying minus the occasional rooster sucker.

Every cast member after the second season was now talking like they were a genius. even the guy that scrubs the blood off the floors. I stopped watching it after that.

Jericholic
    The Ayatollah of Rock 'N Rolla
    Jericholic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8286

Quote Originally Posted by biff View Post
    great pics Shrute, thanks a lot.

any see deadwood HBO series here? well stupid question. but on to my rant... the first season was great I could not get enough of it. second season seemed they hired some queer writers. All of a sudden they start speaking in some kind of shakespeare and call me stupid but i could not understand a damn thing any one was saying minus the occasional rooster sucker.

Every cast member after the second season was now talking like they were a genius. even the guy that scrubs the blood off the floors. I stopped watching it after that.
    I loved the entire series, I guess I didn't notice what you did in the second season. The only thing that pissed me off was that they ended the series after the third season with a lot of plot lines left hanging. Apparently the producers and HBO were arguing about money and they just cancelled it.

biff
    dead

Quote Originally Posted by Jericholic View Post

I loved the entire series, I guess I didn't notice what you did in the second season. The only thing that pissed me off was that they ended the series after the third season with a lot of plot lines left hanging. Apparently the producers and HBO were arguing about money and they just cancelled it.
    Ok, i guess i might have killed a few more brain cells before second season started. I know for a fact they were all talking differently. I myself had a hard time understanding. Good to know other people could understand though.

Typical HBO. Kind of shocked none tried to pick up the series though.

C-Gold
    C-Gold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 843

Is that King Mayans great grandpa picking up that disease infested Blanket?

stevek173
    stevek173's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5958

Quote Originally Posted by EDDIE MONEY LINE View Post
    reminds me of red dead redemption hahaha
    Hah me too love this game.

Great pics, thanks Dwight.

Where will society be in 100 years? Can't wait to see.

Jericholic
    The Ayatollah of Rock 'N Rolla
    Jericholic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8286

Quote Originally Posted by biff View Post

Ok, i guess i might have killed a few more brain cells before second season started. I know for a fact they were all talking differently. I myself had a hard time understanding. Good to know other people could understand though.

Typical HBO. Kind of shocked none tried to pick up the series though.

Thinking back you may be right. I don't want to come off as too nerdy but I think they were trying to show the evolution of Deadwood. In the first season it was a town of outlaws and degenerates. In the second season, after the Black Hills were annexed by the US, "civilization" started to come to Deadwood, specifically the Saloon run by the Powers Boothe character, the high class brothel, and the man who represented William Randolph Hearst, who would all have been more upper class and spoke the way they did.

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011
    doublej95's Avatar Become A Pro!

great pics, I love old history stuff like that. Its amazing how far this county has came.

biff
    dead

Quote Originally Posted by Jericholic View Post

Thinking back you may be right. I don't want to come off as too nerdy but I think they were trying to show the evolution of Deadwood. In the first season it was a town of outlaws and degenerates. In the second season, after the Black Hills were annexed by the US, "civilization" started to come to Deadwood, specifically the Saloon run by the Powers Boothe character, the high class brothel, and the man who represented William Randolph Hearst, who would all have been more upper class and spoke the way they did.
    Ahh, that would explain it, thanks. i never really looked into the plot lines that much. I just liked it when i could understand at least the dialogue

bradthebloke
    bradthebloke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 255

cool pics. have any of tombstone? i went there a few years back. saw the saloon curly bill liked to frequent as well as his barber chair.

sweethook
    sweethook's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10440

really good stuff there

Masu485
    Masu485's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12813

The Indians are so... Indian...

blackbox
    Update your status
    blackbox's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3229

Excellent pictures- thanks for sharing these. A Chawtah here.