helicopter23
    helicopter23's Avatar Become A Pro!

Cost to build a wall in basement

Im buying all materials to build a wall in my basement. This wall is gonna be about 12ft long and need a door framed in. The wall is also gonna be drywalled on both sides. What should a contractor charge me just for the labor part?

THE PROFIT
    THE PROFIT's Avatar Become A Pro!

How many you planning on locking down there???

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

I'll do it for a 12pack....It should take about 2 days... 2 guys... I'll say about 500-800$(no electric) in labor...

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J
    ngates815's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by King Mayan View Post
    I'll do it for a 12pack....It should take about 2 days... 2 guys... I'll say about 500-800$(no electric) in labor...
    That's what I was gonna say. We had 3 guys, and put up all the framing in about 8 hours of work. Granted we didn't do the drywall but that should be the easiest part.

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011
    doublej95's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

depends on where you are located at, a good carpenter should charge about $25-$35 an hour depending on the scope of the work. House Building market is still slow so you can find guys that will give you a price but be warned you get what you pay for.

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO

Quote Originally Posted by ngates815 View Post
    That's what I was gonna say. We had 3 guys, and put up all the framing in about 8 hours of work. Granted we didn't do the drywall but that should be the easiest part.
    The framing and the taping of the drywall is the hard part...

capitalist pig
    capitalist pig's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 346

A licensed and insured contractor is going to get between $600-800 for that, depending where you live.Thats just framing it, installing the door, and hanging the drywall,JMO.

later

zam77
    zam77's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 687

do it yourself... not hard, and you will learn.... cost would be around $200 to $300 depending on door. low budget door from depot or lowes costs about $50. It really isn't that hard if you have the tools and a nailgun/air compressor. if not rent one... you will be done in one weekend. get a buddy to help you move and hang drywall... should take only couple hours to hang.

zam77
    zam77's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 687

I'm not a professional carpenter, but have a lot of diy experience. Just finished my basement last summer.

materials cost estimation assuming basment wall not any taller than 8 ft.

framing... about 16 2x4 studs (use pressure treated for bottom studs). $40 to $50

drywall... use 1/2 inch drywall sheets, which is usually code... need 6 sheets for 12 foot wall... $40 to $50

nails... tape... mud... screws... $40 max (if you know people you can probably mooch something, this stuff is usually sitting around garages)

door... trim and baseboards $50 to $100

If you hire a contractor labor, try and find someone who would do it as a side job for no more than $20/hour. There are alot of people who know how to do this that would do it for $20/hr. Should be able to get job done for $200/$300 MAX

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68557

Would not pay 600.00
    3 or400.00 probably but as others mentioned, where you live is key.

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J
    ngates815's Avatar Become A Pro!

The framing and the taping of the drywall is the hard part...

Who needs to tape the drywall, when all I did was put up naked pictures of women sticking lollipopps(tootsie roll center, not gum) in each others asses.

Ochocinco85mvp
    Ochocinco85mvp's Avatar Become A Pro!

Just do it yourself, its honestly not that hard, unless you want outlets. I wouldnt mess with electrical stuff. But honestly you can easily do this yourself and save some money for gambling/drinking

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Labor should cost you approx 200

Get someone to do it because if not it will look like shit

Your a fukkin butcher

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO

Quote Originally Posted by ngates815 View Post
    Who needs to tape the drywall, when all I did was put up naked pictures of women sticking lollipopps(tootsie roll center, not gum) in each others asses.
    true..

Vol_Bengal
    Vol_Bengal's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by helicopter23 View Post
    Im buying all materials to build a wall in my basement. This wall is gonna be about 12ft long and need a door framed in. The wall is also gonna be drywalled on both sides. What should a contractor charge me just for the labor part?
    Don't listen to these clowns...

The 12' wall can be framed in about 2 hours... tops. My two brothers and I framed a whole 2000 square foot, 1 level house in a Saturday / Sunday... and we're not even professional framers. That included putting down joists and plywood floor... Hell, you ought to be able to frame the thing yourself - its easy. Top plate, sill plate, put all the studs on 16" centers... then go back and frame in the door wherever you want it. Make rough opening 2" wider than door opening (30" door, 32" opening), double studs, double header... not tough at all. Keep sill plate attached at door opening until wall is set and true... then cut it out - makes sure opening / wall stay true.

As for drywall - a lot of finishers would prefer to hand the board themselves just to make the finishing easier on them... I'd get a quote from a few and ask them that question... what's the price to just finish vs. hang / finish... etc. drywall will take 3-4 days to get right by the time you bed the tape, let it dry, sand, second coat, let it dry, sand, and then finish skim... Frame yourself and get a finisher to hand / finish shouldn't charge you more than $300-$400, tops and that'd be for a top-shelf finisher.
    Last edited by Vol_Bengal; 02-28-11 at 08:18 AM.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68557

Quote Originally Posted by Vol_Bengal View Post
    Don't listen to these clowns...

The 12' wall can be framed in about 2 hours... tops. My two brothers and I framed a whole 2000 square foot, 1 level house in a Saturday / Sunday... and we're not even professional framers. Hell, you ought to be able to frame the thing yourself - its easy. Top plate, sill plate, put all the studs on 16" centers... then go back and frame in the door wherever you want it. Make rough opening 2" wider than door opening (30" door, 32" opening), double studs, double header... not tough at all. Keep sill plate attached at door opening until wall is set and true... then cut it out - makes sure opening / wall stay true.

As for drywall - a lot of finishers would prefer to hand the board themselves just to make the finishing easier on them... I'd get a quote from a few and ask them that question... what's the price to just finish vs. hang / finish... etc. drywall will take 3-4 days to get right by the time you bed the tape, let it dry, sand, second coat, let it dry, sand, and then finish skim... Frame yourself and get a finisher to hand / finish shouldn't charge you more than $300-$400, tops and that'd be for a top-shelf finisher.

Love the clowns.
    This clown builds houses for a living.
    Last edited by str; 02-28-11 at 12:52 PM.

Vol_Bengal

Quote Originally Posted by str View Post

This clown builds houses for a living.
    And, looky there... you said $3-400 as well... great minds think alike. My inference isn't to every person that has posted on this topic as being a clown. Just those with stupid ass answers... zam had a good reply as well...

oiler
    oiler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2500

there are so many shows about that,if your handy ,should be a drop in bucket

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Is this Fritzel?!

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO

And, looky there... you said $3-400 as well... great minds think alike. My inference isn't to every person that has posted on this topic as being a clown. Just those with stupid ass answers... zam had a good reply as well...
    I'm sorry, I'm used to pros building shit..... Not half asses.....

Vol_Bengal

I'm sorry, I'm used to pros building shit..... Not half asses.....
    I didn't know pro's did the work for 12 packs... hell, if that is the case I got all kinds of stuff for you to do...

I'll buy a couple cases and have you build me a deck too. Talk about half-assing it you clown...

Takes a real mental giant to frame a straight wall, 12' long, with one door... I'd bet even you could manage that, after you'd drunk half the 12...

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO

I didn't know pro's did the work for 12 packs... hell, if that is the case I got all kinds of stuff for you to do...

I'll buy a couple cases and have you build me a deck too. Talk about half-assing it you clown...

Takes a real mental giant to frame a straight wall, 12' long, with one door... I'd bet even you could manage that, after you'd drunk half the 12...
    you took a joke seriously, talk about a clown...... And 3-4 days for taping...

Vol_Bengal

you took a joke seriously, talk about a clown...... And 3-4 days for taping...

drywall will take 3-4 days to get right by the time you bed the tape, let it dry, sand, second coat, let it dry, sand, and then finish skim
    You don't read too good do you... the quote above pretty clearly states more than just taping...

HOOKED ON PHONICS...

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO

You don't read too good do you... the quote above pretty clearly states more than just taping...

HOOKED ON PHONICS...
    You must not know that trade... That's all part of the taping... Max 1 day...

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Quote Originally Posted by helicopter23 View Post
    You can do it yourself. Buy 2x4's and space them at 16" o.c. That means you need 10 pieces. You are going to need another 2 for the door jambs who need to have double studs. You also going to need another 2x4 piece for the sill plate and anchors to fasten it to the floor then a header for the door and another plate at the top of the wall to secure to the floor joists above. Then you need a box of nails and a hammer and of course drywall to screw on to the studs once you have it framed.

Vol_Bengal

You must not know that trade... That's all part of the taping... Max 1 day...
    You just proved yourself to me...

first guy I've ever met (and I've contracted and built my own first house, and completely gutted and remodeled my current house) that could bed tape, mud, let it dry, sand, second code, let it dry, sand, and finish skim all in one day.

I know... You're a magician! You make drywall mud dry faster than everyone else!

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO

You just proved yourself to me...

first guy I've ever met (and I've contracted and built my own first house, and completely gutted and remodeled my current house) that could bed tape, mud, let it dry, sand, second code, let it dry, sand, and finish skim all in one day.

I know... You're a magician! You make drywall mud dry faster than everyone else!
    like I said you must not know the trade... I've done many jobs with tapers( marriot/ ritz Carlton downtown la, new schools around la,etc) and can do two coats on multiple rooms in one day...I've even seen two coats of a sprayed skim coat in one day...