darrell74
    darrell74's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19440

An Idiot Abroad (Karl Pinkington)

A Ricky Gervais evil creation.
    A funny show on the sci fi channel, anybody watching it?

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

I just saw my first episode of this tonight, the Trans Siberian Express, and I've gone back to start watching from the beginning. Just finished watching the first one - China - and I really don't remember laughing this hard in a long, long time. My cheeks and tummy muscles actually hurt. I kept thinking of so many SBR guys when I was watching Karl there... could just picture ttwarrior or jj or Zeta saying some of the same things Karl did. Going to be up all night watching this now.

For those who have never seen it, watch at least one episode. Seriously it's a trip.

sickler
    Facade 101
    sickler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2983

Brits

Can't stand the accent

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by sickler View Post
    Brits

Can't stand the accent
    Ironically enough, I can't stand the Canadian accent any more. Hurts my ears every time I hear it and I'm glad mine is wiped out now. Funny eh?

jgilmartin
    jgilmartin's Avatar Become A Pro!

The first season was A+; the second maybe B-

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 32174

Whats the show about?

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by jgilmartin View Post
    The first season was A+; the second maybe B-
    Yeah see the first one I saw was apparently 02 02. And that still killed me. Maybe when I finish watching all of the first season I won't appreciate the 2nd, sadly, but holy shit did I laugh. I'm seriously still laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by DiggityDaggityDo View Post
    Whats the show about?
    You know Ricky Gervais from the Office? He sent his podcast sidekick out to go visit the 7 wonders of the world and the guy is the least worldy, doesn't give a shit about other cultures, wants to slit his own wrists being in India, etc...like everything most of us would say if we were being honest when travelling abroad, he does. Seriously watch the first episode... China. (just scoot back epis from the link I posted). My cheeks are still sore from giggling. Guy is a trip but think of him like so many sbr posters and it kills you even more. tubeplus.me/player/1738726/An_Idiot_Abroad/season_1/episode_4/Mexico/

jgilmartin

Quote Originally Posted by shari91 View Post
    Yeah see the first one I saw was apparently 02 02. And that still killed me. Maybe when I finish watching all of the first season I won't appreciate the 2nd, sadly, but holy shit did I laugh. I'm seriously still laughing.
    The whole first season is unbelievably funny (not that the second isn't; it's still worth watching, IMO). I laughed my ass off at the China episode, especially "A FETUS!?!?".

jgilmartin

Shari, do you think Karl is just an actor playing a character? There is a lot of debate on it; I think he is something like 50% himself, and 50% himself purposely being over-the-top.

shari91

The whole first season is unbelievably funny (not that the second isn't; it's still worth watching, IMO). I laughed my ass off at the China episode, especially "A FETUS!?!?".
    That alone is enough to send me off again. Seriously I've never laughed that hard at a tv show.

Shari, do you think Karl is just an actor playing a character? There is a lot of debate on it; I think he is something like 50% himself, and 50% himself purposely being over-the-top.
    I really don't know because I've never followed them on the podcasts. Have you? I'd hope the Israeli kidnapping was staged... if not, I mean I know people like to give each other a rough time... and totally random fact: when I met Ricky it was outside some comedy club in LA (the one next door to the place with killer corned beef sandwiches for those who know) and inside he sent me a shot called 'Abortion Number 9'. Not because he thought I was cute or anything... totally because he knew I'd choke on it and my boss is a good friend of his who delighted in watching me fangirl out. Whatever is in it - white with a red swirl - congeals and clogs your throat. So I believe he's taking the piss out of his mate because why wouldn't you. Either way though even if Karl is faking some of it, I'm still dying. That China episode though is one of the funniest things I think I've ever seen on TV.

jgilmartin

I really don't know because I've never followed them on the podcasts. Have you? I'd hope the Israeli kidnapping was staged... if not, I mean I know people like to give each other a rough time... and totally random fact: when I met Ricky it was outside some comedy club in LA (the one next door to the place with killer corned beef sandwiches for those who know) and inside he sent me a shot called 'Abortion Number 9'. Not because he thought I was cute or anything... totally because he knew I'd choke on it and my boss is a good friend of his who delighted in watching me fangirl out. Whatever is in it - white with a red swirl - congeals and clogs your throat. So I believe he's taking the piss out of his mate because why wouldn't you. Either way though even if Karl is faking some of it, I'm still dying. That China episode though is one of the funniest things I think I've ever seen on TV.
    Haha...wow, awesome. Ricky is probably my favorite active comedian; he has taken some pretty lame movie roles, but you can tell he still has a sharp wit and a great comedy brain with the other stuff he does.

I have listened to every podcast episode that I'm aware of, and some of the lines Karl comes up with are just a little TOO funny, unless there is more to him than he lets on. For example, on the podcast, Ricky and Steve were arguing with Karl about whether or not Noah's ark could actually be a true story, with Ricky and Steve (unsurprisingly) on the side of it being an impossibility. They asked Karl why the large carnivorous animals wouldn't have simply eaten the smaller animals (thus driving them into extinction), if they were indeed all packed into the same giant boat. Karl's response was "because in a crisis, you all pull together." It's an amazing hybrid of Karl's simple-mindedness and absolute comedic brilliance. There are a lot of times like that on the podcast - where it seems humanly impossible to be THAT funny by accident. It's kind of hard to explain but if you listened to the podcast (or watched the HBO show 'The Ricky Gervais Show', which just places animations over the top of the original podcast audio), I think you would know what I mean. That said, I highly, highly recommend the podcast, as it is completely hysterical, even if Karl is partially a character.

Coach Potato
    Coach Potato's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31636

karl pilkington is a comedic genius and the best thing is that he is not even trying to be funny, he is just being himself lol. You guys should listen to the podcast aswell.

Stocks
    Stocks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2984

I saw a few episodes.

I saw him in China that one was funny. He went to someones house to eat and he almost threw up and the lady kept trying to hand feed him.

And I saw one the other day where he was in Mexico I laughed when he tried to eat the worm from the tequila.

LordVodka
    LordVodka's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 156

The problem I have with Karl Pilkington in general is that I believe he plays it up for the camera.

Balco10
    Balco10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

When do they air the show?

sickler
    Facade 101

Ironically enough, I can't stand the Canadian accent any more. Hurts my ears every time I hear it and I'm glad mine is wiped out now. Funny eh?
    I never thought that there is a distinguishable Canadian accent (other than "eh", eh)...And these days considering how immigration has flourished there's many different accents over here. We don't sound like Bob & Doug Mckenzie, which is what some like to think us as.

Maybe it's because I'm Canadian and everyone else talks funny, I just sound normal.

sickler
    Facade 101

Quote Originally Posted by sickler View Post
    Brits

Can't stand the accent
    Mind you "The Bank Job" with Jason Stathan was a great movie. Gonna watch it again soon

allin1
    Update your status
    allin1's Avatar Become A Pro!

some of the best comedy I've seen on a tv-show (and he's not even an actor). Watched both seasons 2 times and lmao. I love the guy and I hope to see him in some more work. I heard Ricky was trying to convince him to try acting in some of his productions. That would be interesting...

sickler
    Facade 101

BTW, Shari, I take your post as a FU Canada.

You should be ashamed of yourself

stig99
    stig99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 323

allin1
    Update your status
    allin1's Avatar Become A Pro!

one of my favorites